The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
That is an interesting perspective. I will ask the coach why he uses this approach the next time I see him. However, I noticed the kids were getting very frustrated with this constant conact and that aggression then carried over to the other end of the court.
I coach girls AAU, and I have a big pad that I use to bang around my post players. Why? The intent is to get them used to contact without actually hurting them, because they will be scratched, grabbed, slapped, etc. in the game and they still need to finish, with or without a whistle from the officials.

I would hope the coach in the OP was practicing against the extreme and not teaching it, but it sounds as if he/she is a dumb a55. I bet he has his kids hoisting up three pointers every other possesion.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach
I coach girls AAU, and I have a big pad that I use to bang around my post players. Why? The intent is to get them used to contact without actually hurting them, because they will be scratched, grabbed, slapped, etc. in the game and they still need to finish, with or without a whistle from the officials.

I would hope the coach in the OP was practicing against the extreme and not teaching it, but it sounds as if he/she is a dumb a55. I bet he has his kids hoisting up three pointers every other possesion.
1. I do not want to beat up the coach unfairly. I have only watch one practice. Perhaps that is his teaching method..

2. Lets say he doesnt discourage the 3-pointers either.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Bump the cutters

At one of my varsity games earlier this year I heard the coaches telling their defensive players to "bump the cutters". First opportunity, I told my partner, what I'd heard and we needed to pay even more attention off ball than normal. Sure enough, early in the game, we have a foul on this team on defense, don't remember if it was a hold or a block we called, doesn't really matter but after the first one, we did not have a problem the rest of the game. I'd like to think we'd have caught this regardless, but their yelling, "bump the cutters" definitely helped us focus on correctly officiating this illegal off ball contact.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Bumping the cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Killian
At one of my varsity games earlier this year I heard the coaches telling their defensive players to "bump the cutters". First opportunity, I told my partner, what I'd heard and we needed to pay even more attention off ball than normal. Sure enough, early in the game, we have a foul on this team on defense, don't remember if it was a hold or a block we called, doesn't really matter but after the first one, we did not have a problem the rest of the game. I'd like to think we'd have caught this regardless, but their yelling, "bump the cutters" definitely helped us focus on correctly officiating this illegal off ball contact.
You're taking it too literally. "Bump the cutter" means to anticipate where the cutter is trying to go and legally beating her to that spot. We specifically teach to not foul in that situation.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 08:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW
You're taking it too literally. "Bump the cutter" means to anticipate where the cutter is trying to go and legally beating her to that spot. We specifically teach to not foul in that situation.
No, you're misinterpreting what he said. Red didn't say that they would call fouls for legal plays. He said that they would call fouls if there was illegal off-ball contact on the cutter, and that's exactly what happened. The defender fouled the cutter and got called for it.

If your players legally get to the spot first, you'll never have a problem. If they don't legally get there, they'll get called. Whatever coaching verbiage that you're using isn't really relevant at all. Just because you teach your players not to foul is no guarantee that they won't.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Feb 26, 2007 at 08:31pm.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'll call this as soon as I see it.
I concur totally.