Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Question

Fellow Officials from Kentucky,

If I remember correctly, Kentucky High School Sports made history either last year in 2002 or the year before that in 2001 by having the youngest female official ever at the age of 21 officiate a boys basketball state final?

Is the correct? If so, could I please get the story on it, so I can I send it on to a newer official that I met last night who would like to read the story?

Thanks for your help.

John
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 08:53am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

When she was a student at Walton-Verona High School, Susan Egan wasn't allowed to play football with the team, so a decade later she did the next best thing. She became a game official.

Since then, Ms. Egan made history.

When she officiated at the state eight-man championship game Nov. 17 between Eminence and Kentucky Country Day in Frankfort, Ms. Egan be came the first woman in the nation to wear the referee's white cap during a state championship football game.

Ms. Egan, 48, who lives in Ludlow, is an account administrator at Bartlett & Co. in Cincinnati. She has been an official since 1980 and is the only woman in the Northern Kentucky Officials Association.

John,
This was written in 2000.
Coulda been Ms. Eagan's 21st year of officiating.
mick
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mick, but I don't think this is right either. I remember seen something on a website regarding the young official being the youngest to ever work a basketball state final in Kentucky.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question Can this happen in Ky?

In Indiana, the process is a long one to get to the state finals! It takes AT MINIMUM, 7 years to make it to the basketball state finals...and that's if you're perfect! No one could possibly make it to the state finals at age 21 here.

What is the process in other states?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
Thanks Mick, but I don't think this is right either. I remember seen something on a website regarding the young official being the youngest to ever work a basketball state final in Kentucky.
John,
Can you honestly believe that actually happened?
mick
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Can you honestly believe that actually happened?
mick
Mick,

It is Kentucky!
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Ratings, nominations, and politics is the course of action in Michigan. I think we have a decent a system here in Michigan, but there are changes that could be made, but unitl they are, we just keep doing the very best we can, and enjoy the post-season opportunities that come our way no matter what round they are or where they may be at.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I saw it on a officiating website, so I took for truth and did not think anything of it.

Do I think it can happen? ABSOLUTELY!! If the official can do the job, and everything is on the official's side, then they should be rewarded accordingly no matter what age they are.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

John,
I checked with our Association president who is fairly knowledgeable about what goes on in the state. He and I are both not aware that a female has ever worked any boy's game in the state tournanment, much less the finals.

Hey Indy_ref,
That'll be enough from you. We don't need any comments from the Hoosier peanut gallery.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Barry. I thought it was Kentucky, but I was totally 100% for sure, but I went on what I could remember from seen this on the internet?

Does anybody know where this happened at?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

While I agree in theory that a 21 year old could have the requisite skills and experience to merit a state championship game, I sincerely doubt that this would realy happen. It would be highly unlikely to get varsity level games before leaving HS at age 18, so you are talking 3 years of varsity experience. You may be really good after those 3 years, but there will be a large number of people who are at least as qualified and with many more years of experience. They would, and should, get the nod for a single game of this magnitude before the highly capable up and coming official. That official could have many quality games - but not the final, IMO.