The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Never thought I'd see this one...

Oh my, what a play.

Runner on 1st, 0-2 pitch. The ball slips out of the pitchers hand and starts rolling in...

I was ready to call balk (didn't look like it was getting to the plate), but somehow it rolled into the box. All the while the runner on 1st has taken off for second.

The batter just stands in the box as the ball rolls into his foot. His foot was in fair territory. I say "Dead Ball". Now what, I'm thinking to myself.

a) Balk? (the ball stopped in fair territory) Award the runner 2nd (which he was getting anyway).

b) HBP? (technically the rule says that the batter can not move and get hit by the pitch)

c) Dead Ball - ball (the batter intentionally got struck with the pitch, even though he didn't move, the ball was rolling in there, a turtle could have avoided). But then what do I do with the runner? I'm guessing I would put him back to first.

I chose dead ball HBP and awarded the runner 1st. R1 awarded 2nd. Luckily everyone was smiling enough to where the only person that was ticked was the defensive coach. He wanted a dead ball strike - coaches never cease to amaze me.

I think I made the correct technical choice per the rules, which is all I can do. I'm not interested in killing the play as the ball is rolling in and calling a balk for game managment purposes. Not my job. I called what was in the rules I believe, (I looked it up and think I got it right). I just couldn't believe what I saw though! Thats the great thing about baseball, everyday, you could see something you'll never see again.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

I would have to go with dead ball, call the pitch a ball, and send R! back to first. It is clear that BR made no attempt to get out of the way. The pitch was not in the strike zone, therefore it is a ball.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Oh my, what a play.

I chose dead ball HBP and awarded the runner 1st. R1 awarded 2nd. Luckily everyone was smiling enough to where the only person that was ticked was the defensive coach. He wanted a dead ball strike - coaches never cease to amaze me.

I think I made the correct technical choice per the rules, which is all I can do.
I disagree with your assessment. From your description the batter made no attempt to avoid a slow rolling pitch. No HPB. Call time, batter remains at bat and now has a 1-2count. R1 returns to first.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
So he made no attempt...

But can we interpret that as an attempt to get hit? Remember, a batter is allowed to freeze in the batters box, no?

Oh no, I got NCAA confused with FED. Say it ain't so! YUCK! Oh gosh, how could I do that. Maybe its time we consolidate rule books and just use one, because my brain can't jump from rule book to rule book evidently.

Gosh darnit!
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
So he made no attempt...

But can we interpret that as an attempt to get hit? Remember, a batter is allowed to freeze in the batters box, no?

Oh no, I got NCAA confused with FED. Say it ain't so! YUCK! Oh gosh, how could I do that. Maybe its time we consolidate rule books and just use one, because my brain can't jump from rule book to rule book evidently.

Gosh darnit!
In no book can he freeze on a slow rolling pitch.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
It's entirely your judgment whether he intended to get hit or just froze. The batter bears the burden to attempt to get out of the way for the most part, however, if you feel he didn't have sufficient time to react then it's a HBP. Garth is right, as usual, and there's just no way this batter didn't have time to react to a ball slowly rolling at him.

Tim.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Slips

In particular, why did the runner return to first?

What was in the rulebook?
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
In particular, why did the runner return to first?

What was in the rulebook?

HBP is the reason. If batter is awarded first then runner advance 1 base from where he was at time of pitch if forced. If batter not awarded first, which in this case no way he should be, then he returns to first because that is where he was at the time of pitch. That is in all rule books.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'd put this into the "common sense and fair play" category and call the pitch a ball on the dead ball pitch. He could have avoided the pitch but chose not to. Common sense would tell ya that on a normal pitch that's sailing toward him, it's not quite as easy to avoid being hit, at least not nearly as easy as standing there watching the ball roll into your foot.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Ball in the dirt.

Pitcher tosses a ball in the dirt. The batter makes NO attempt to get out of the way. I don't have a clue what the catcher is doing. It plunks batter hard --> HBP, award first base. It plunks him softly --> Dead Ball, get out of the way, ball. The runner goes into 2B standing. Considering common sense and fair play, do you always make the runner return to first?

The OC coach doesn't like my call and tells me that I shouldn't be partial. I let the pitcher get away with a balk and penalized his runner. I need somebody to bail me out? I request a group huddle to figure out what I should tell the OC. Please be kind cause the coach really doesn't like me and I may have to toss him.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Question

OK, my question is why do several people say send runner back to 1st? He had every right to go to 2nd as far as I can see. IMO (humble) br should have no effect on what to call as far as the pitch goes.

BIG'S BLOG
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big
OK, my question is why do several people say send runner back to 1st? He had every right to go to 2nd as far as I can see. IMO (humble) br should have no effect on what to call as far as the pitch goes.
If you rule the ball dead, and the BR isn't awarded first, other runners return to the base occupied TOP.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 07:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
In no book can he freeze on a slow rolling pitch.
Huh? If it's an NCAA game and that slow-rolling pitch is inside the batter's box, I'm awarding first. It's a pitch, it's inside the lines of the batter's box, and the batter didn't intentionally move into the pitch.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Pitch hits the batter, thats a dead ball, regardless of whether the pitch bounces in or is a 90mph fastball. Now, whether to award first on the HBP is a judgement call. FED 8-1-d (exception) If he makes no effort to avoid being hit...

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.