The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Making signals for the crowd

Something during the Duke-GaTech game on Sunday that got my attention: Virginia Tech player was wide open (kind of cherry picking) under his own basket, received a pass from his teammate and bobbled the ball while shuffling his feet, got control of the ball and went up for a layup. Crowd went crazy wanting a travel, and the L correctly did not call it. Then before he started back up the court L makes a bobbling motion with his hands, and this seems to quiet the crowd down.

The L was nowhere near either of the team benches, and completely at the opposite end of the floor from the Duke bench, so I'm not sure he was making the signal for their benefit. It seemed like he was making the signal for the crowd.

So, in what instances is it acceptable to make a signal like that which is not prescribed (I'm also thinking of the wiping hands motion that is made for a blocked shot) and in what instances is it acceptable to make those kinds of motions in order to communicate to the crowd?

Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 11:06am
Courageous When Prudent

I didn't see the game and haven't checked the box scores but I'm willing to wager it was Teddy Valentine....but I guess I'm wrong. I've seen Valentine do it a couple times.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 11:14am.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Many people will do this type of signal for everyone's benefit...especially if the non-calling official is not close to the coach to give a quick explanation.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I didn't see the game and haven't checked the box scores but I'm willing to wager it was Teddy Valentine....but I guess I'm wrong. I've seen Valentine do it a couple times.
Wasn't Ted Valentine. He did do the Duke-UNC game a few weeks ago, but he didn't work this game. He's one of the few NCAA officials I know by name and face.

Whoops....just saw your edit.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
Something during the Duke-GaTech game on Sunday that got my attention: Virginia Tech player was wide open (kind of cherry picking) under his own basket, received a pass from his teammate and bobbled the ball while shuffling his feet, got control of the ball and went up for a layup. Crowd went crazy wanting a travel, and the L correctly did not call it. Then before he started back up the court L makes a bobbling motion with his hands, and this seems to quiet the crowd down.

The L was nowhere near either of the team benches, and completely at the opposite end of the floor from the Duke bench, so I'm not sure he was making the signal for their benefit. It seemed like he was making the signal for the crowd.

So, in what instances is it acceptable to make a signal like that which is not prescribed (I'm also thinking of the wiping hands motion that is made for a blocked shot) and in what instances is it acceptable to make those kinds of motions in order to communicate to the crowd?

Thanks.
I do that type of stuff if necessary. Good Communication is never a bad thing.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 11:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I have seen many, many, many officials do this and Teddy is not one of them. As a matter of fact, in the UNC-Duke game, the only white official working the game (I do not know his name) used a similar signal and even used the "bobble" signal at different points of the game. There are many D1 officials that use signals that you cannot find in any book.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

While I was watching a summer league game a couple of years ago, the crowd (small crowd, 40-50 people) was complaining about some call that was part of a recent rule change. At the next break the referee stopped for a few seconds, explained the rule change to the crowd, then asked, with a smile, "How many of you learned something today?" Everyone laughed and gave him a round of applause.

Also at the Duke-GT game, did you see the referee call a ball out-of-bounds off a GT player, and indicate it went off the GT player's head? Immediately after that, the Cameron Crazies broke out with an "off your head, off your head" chant.

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 11:38am
Esteemed Participant

At the time he made that signal, the camera did not show Coach K, but you can bet he was up questioning the call...so the ref showed the bobble signal. By the time the play got back to that end, K was back sitting down, so it must have worked...I sincerely doubt that the signal was given to the crowd.