The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
This sounds like a good no call to me. It's about advantage/disadvantage. Players need to learn that they have to play through a little contact.
Agreed. It's a good no-call.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

a grab is a bit more than contact IMO. in this case it proved to lead to smack talk and a T. they learned how to play through it and got to practice a bit of yo-mama was over last night basketball.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 02:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
1) I am with 2 guys that have over 20 years each. Neither of them called a "T" on either coach and there was complaining, just not as much.

2) If I "T" up every coach that deserves it, I won't be working.

3) I "T"ed up a coach last year and he called my assignor and banned me from his home games.

4) The way I feel is as long as it doen't get personal, it doesn't affect me.

5) Please tell me this, are you guys doing games and the coaches aren't complaining? I NEVER see a game like that. Our games here are more like what you see when Maryland plays ( and Gary Williams is complaining constantly ) or Bob Knight is coaching and working the refs.

6) Again, I go back to the coaches line " why are you even here" He was close to crossing the line, but remember, in my area, we have 15 schools that we cover with 39 officials. We all know one another. This guy, I used to coach with. I coached for 11 years. That doesn't mean I won't give him a "T" if I need to, but I understand who he is.

7) Say what you will, my goal is to be fair to the kids.

8) This was a great comeback game for the home team. The visitors fell apart after half time. Part of that could have been my officiating, I say that because I was told at half time that the official that I replaced wasn't calling much, he missed walks and a few fouls because he was sick and slow on the whistle. I called everything I saw.

9) Remember, I came into this game half through the event, I am trying to catch on what is going on in the game as it progresses.
Not bad. Nine excuses why you shouldn't call a technical foul. I'd bet that if you were left alone long enough, you could fill a book.

Again, the coaches are gonna sh!t all over you until you do something about it. If you don't want to do anything about it though, that's fine. Just don't whine about the coaches. You're a heckuva lot more to blame for your problems than they are.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 02:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
a grab is a bit more than contact IMO. in this case it proved to lead to smack talk and a T. they learned how to play through it and got to practice a bit of yo-mama was over last night basketball.
The rules say contact is not a foul without advantage. I'll call this in a ms game, but not high school unless it slows the offensive player down significantly. If they're going to b!tch whenever there's some contact, it's going to be a short game for them.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Terrapins Fan
I wonder why you appear to have such a distain for calling a "T"? It is part of the game we HAVE to apply when necessary. It is not personal for you and shouldn't be for the offender. It is the RULE. (10.1 thru 10.5) You should rise above the coach or player who violated the rule. Be calm and direct. If you nip it early and often, coaches will talk and the smart ones will learn.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I use the "T" as needed.

I called about 6 this year.

Last year 7, the year before 7. And 4 years before that 4 each year. Yeah, we keep records of our "T"s so , I know how many I call.

JR, How many "T"s did you call this year??????? Sounds like you may be over using yours.

I see you never answered this poll- A little End of Year Survey .....

Last edited by Terrapins Fan; Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 04:40pm.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 05:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I use the "T" as needed.

JR, How many "T"s did you call this year??????? Sounds like you may be over using yours.

I see you never answered this poll- A little End of Year Survey .....
I do very little basketball anymore, but I'll guarantee you that never in my life have I ever taken anywhere near the amount of abuse that you are willing to take. Not even close. Let a coach "complain about every call"? I couldn't look in a mirror after the game. You're in the wrong avocation, Turtle. You're either too much of a wimp or too nice a guy to be an official. There it is, like it or not.

Polls on number of "T"s are absolutely meaningless also. Officials who have shown that they are willing to call "T"s when necessary usually won't get tested that often. Coaches know that they can't get with their crap and they will leave them alone. Officials like that usually end up having the same number of "T"s or less than officials that are afraid to call "T"s(i.e.-you) will end up with.

Again, I don't have a problem with your philosophy, other than I feel sorry for the officials that follow you and have to clean up your mess. As an assignor though, if you were one of my guys I certainly would have a problem with your philosophy. I do have a problem also when you whine about how badly the coaches are acting and yet you absolutely refuse to do anything about it.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The visitor goes jumps up and says " Why are you even here?" , "We would be better off if you had never come out of the locker room"
A question like this from ANY coach is getting him a one way pass to the locker room from me.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

so you would eject a coach for one of those comments?
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I would. Personal comments like that deserve nothing less.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

JR, add another to my total...you would have wanted me to call more than one tonight but I rung up another coach...He complained about a no call on what he thought was a foul ( it wasn't ), then told me "that's BullSh!t" BANG and I warned him one more word and you're gone. I asked him ( OK I told him ) to take a seat.

It was a good game over all. 9 points in the end. 7 "T"s for the regular season...amazing consistency. I did about 60 high school games. I have not called a "T" in the chuch league that I do and I have done about 20 church league games.

I am getting at least 1 play off game...it would be nice to get 2. I will be an alternate at 1 or more games.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Gamer officals that dont wack coaches makes it worse for all of us.
I was working a District tour game last week and after we finished we stayed to watch a little of the next game.
Coach who is notorius for complaining who I have wacked on numerous occasions is all over this one offical. After a call that this offical made he starts on him. He tells the offical as he walks by to put the ball in play that he needs to look his kids in the eye and explain why he is cheating them. The offical acts like he didnt hear it. This guy is notorious for being a game fee man. So me being the hated offical who has nothing to do with the game he starts on me. He tells this guy that he is worse than me while he is pointing at me!
So I get dragged into this mess because there is an offical that lets this idiot yell at him all night long. I have to call the commissioner to report this behavior because the spineless offical wont. I enforce the rules as the book tells the officals to, and you are worried that the coach is going to black ball you? Or not give you a vote for a tour game? Someone earlier said it right.... They hate you and you cant be their buddy! If that is what you are doing, do us a favor and quit because you are making it worse for the rest of us.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Let them complain!

Quote:
JR, add another to my total...you would have wanted me to call more than one tonight but I rung up another coach...He complained about a no call on what he thought was a foul ( it wasn't ), then told me "that's BullSh!t" BANG and I warned him one more word and you're gone. I asked him ( OK I told him ) to take a seat.

It was a good game over all. 9 points in the end. 7 "T"s for the regular season...amazing consistency. I did about 60 high school games. I have not called a "T" in the chuch league that I do and I have done about 20 church league games.

I am getting at least 1 play off game...it would be nice to get 2. I will be an alternate at 1 or more games.

Coaches will complain, its their job on the line.

However, what separates the good coach is that they know "how" to complain.

A good coach will ask you about a situation, or say to watch a particular play, but they will not ever get personal with it.

Once the coach makes it personal then he's on the way out.

But just to write about coaches complaining about calls it crazy, that's what they are paid to do.

But never allow a coach to complain about you!

Once he starts using the "you" word then he's asking to get a T and then an exit.

Once the coaches know that, its amazing how the complaining quits being personal.

Of course some coaches will never learn because we have too many officials that allow them to cross the line night after night, game after game.

That's what makes it so hard for everyone else.

Thansk
David
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, I go back to the coaches line " why are you even here" He was close to crossing the line, but remember, in my area, we have 15 schools that we cover with 39 officials. We all know one another. This guy, I used to coach with. I coached for 11 years. That doesn't mean I won't give him a "T" if I need to, but I understand who he is.
Since you coached for so long, I'm sure you would have expected an explanation when a different official comes out of the locker room for the second half. As an official, I'm sure before the coaches got the chance to ask, you would offer such an explaination. Your posts does not mention if you did this but I bet it would have had a pretty serious effect on their opinion of how the second half was called. He spent 40+ minutes wondering where the other official is and why you are there and it finally all came out. Just a thought.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coaches will complain, its their job on the line.

However, what separates the good coach is that they know "how" to complain.

A good coach will ask you about a situation, or say to watch a particular play, but they will not ever get personal with it.
WHile you are correct on the facts, there is more to it than that. Coaches also routinely referee from the bench. That doesn't last long in my games. Ask me why on a specific play I didn't call something. Ask me politely and I'll tell you. "Coach, he was bobbling the ball and had no control." But demand calls, yell out "travel" , "reach", or my favorite "Over the back" more than once and the seatbelt salesman will be smiling again as he just got another sale.