The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Question

I read threads here that seem to imply giving coaches a T oftentimes settles them down and redirects their focus back to the game.

I read threads on coaching bulletin boards that seem to imply getting T'd oftentimes fires up the players and gets the officials to focus a bit more on areas they were complaining about.

Both arguments imply an adjustment in attitude and a possible shift in momentum.

Personally, as a coach, I've always thought getting a T intentionally was stupid (two free throws to opponent and loss of a possession), so please be kind to me...

Any thoughts on this divergence of veiwpoints? Any validity to the opposite argument?
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

As officials we often ask, "Did the T make the game better?" Both of your observations can fall under that question.

If the game improved post T, the official's view will be it caused the coach to focus. The coach's view will be it fired up their players and made the officials focus.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

What is a good coaches forum to check out? I wouldn't mind some perspective on what the other side is thinking/saying.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I ref intermurals and find that a technical foul after a couple warnings (unless they cuss at us, automatic WHACK) will usually get the players off our backs and let us ref and them play the game. I think its important if its going to be a tech for excessive complaining, insults, etc it should come in the first half to set a standard for the game to be entirely effective. Last half of the game I take into consideration emotion and let a little more slack of guys if they've been well behaved earlier in the game.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bradfordwilkins
I ref intermurals and find that a technical foul after a couple warnings (unless they cuss at us, automatic WHACK) will usually get the players off our backs and let us ref and them play the game. I think its important if its going to be a tech for excessive complaining, insults, etc it should come in the first half to set a standard for the game to be entirely effective. Last half of the game I take into consideration emotion and let a little more slack of guys if they've been well behaved earlier in the game.
I don't understand "excessive insults." One insult is usually way more than enough for me, especially in rec ball.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
What is a good coaches forum to check out? I wouldn't mind some perspective on what the other side is thinking/saying.
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ching/messages