Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
OJ's back!

Tonight was OJ's triumphial return to the hardwood. It was a rematch against Capital HS. I went to the game and sat press row (I work for a media outlet - membership has its privledges).

I was bothered that Huntington administration did not stop the student section from chanting "Where is Lazo?" Many of them were adorning referee shirts . . .

I noticed that OJ was actually dunking in pregame. Not sure what your definition of a dunk is, but mine is above the rim, making a downward push toward the basket. Trust me, even though he didn't touch the rim - he was dunking.

Lots of dunks - LOTS of them. Huntington was very much the superior team. Even with more than 20 turnovers they won easily. Many of their turnovers came from missed allyoops.

OJ was on his best behavior. I left with about 3 minutes left in the game and HHS up by 20 - I think they won by 15. I noticed that Chris Early only played about 3 or 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter. He's already signed at Oklahoma. I guess he must be somewhat of a troubled kid because I don't think McGuffin plays him much.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Looking at the definition of a dunk, I don't think it qualifies if he does not touch the rim at all with his hand(s) or arm(s)? It will be interesting to get some others opinion on that.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 03:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Looking at the definition of a dunk, I don't think it qualifies if he does not touch the rim at all with his hand(s) or arm(s)? It will be interesting to get some others opinion on that.
Dropping the ball in from above is OK. Forcing or pushing the ball down is a dunk. Any doubt, don't bother calling it.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 07:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Usually I would tell the kid to knock if off so I do not have to make such a hard decision.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Trust me, with the force he was using - it was a dunk. And he did get the rim on one . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Trust me, with the force he was using - it was a dunk. And he did get the rim on one . . .
Sounds like a T to me!!!!
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Officials on the court?

Were the officials on the court when he was dunking?

This brings up another question.....do you blow your whistle when you walk onto the court? I personally do not, and have had many discussions with partners about it. I do not like to bring extra attention to myself. Why should you have to announce your presence. I once had a coach not happy with a pregame T (his player was actually hanging on the rim after a dunk with about 10 min left on clock). His argument was that the player did not know we were on the court. I explained that it was not any less illegal wether he knew we were out here or not.

What do you guys do?
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
Were the officials on the court when he was dunking?

This brings up another question.....do you blow your whistle when you walk onto the court? I personally do not, and have had many discussions with partners about it. I do not like to bring extra attention to myself. Why should you have to announce your presence. I once had a coach not happy with a pregame T (his player was actually hanging on the rim after a dunk with about 10 min left on clock). His argument was that the player did not know we were on the court. I explained that it was not any less illegal wether he knew we were out here or not.

What do you guys do?
I'm usually preceded by dancing girls and helium balloons.

I've never seen nor heard of officials who blow their whistle when entering the court area. That would be dorky.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 10:48am.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I'm usually proceeded by dancing girls and helium balloons.

I've never seen nor heard of officials who blow their whistle when entering the court area. That would be dorky.
are you saying you proceed onto the court like dancing girls or that dancing girls precede you (come in before you LOL)...In a gym where we work here the door from the officials locker room leads directly onto the court, some officials as they walk out give a tweet on the whistle so that they don't have to see anything inappropriate....

as for a post above about it being no less illegal whether officials are there or not....if the officials aren't there it isn't illegal, it is only illegal to dunk during intermissions and dead balls after the officials have assumed their jurisdiction over the game, which happens when they take the floor...
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:19am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
are you saying you proceed onto the court like dancing girls or that dancing girls precede you (come in before you LOL
You got me ...of course I went back and fixed it.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

don't you hate it

when someone quotes you and your fix appears in your post but not in the quote LOL.....
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
when someone quotes you and your fix appears in your post but not in the quote LOL.....
It's even more fun when the fix is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I'm usually preceeded....
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
It's even more fun when the fix is wrong.
Damn it.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

OK, so I want to know, is it OK to correct everyone's spelling and grammar errors or not? I got a PM from bob jenkins a few weeks ago telling me to knock it off. Did everyone else receive the same memo, or did he just single me out because I'm white?
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 06:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
OK, so I want to know, is it OK to correct everyone's spelling and grammar errors or not? I got a PM from bob jenkins a few weeks ago telling me to knock it off. Did everyone else receive the same memo, or did he just single me out because I'm white?
Knock it off.
Closed Thread