The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Player A dribbles fully into the frontcourt, then picks up his dribble. With a defender in his face he takes a step back into the back court and passes to a teammate in the front court. His pivot foot is of course still in the front court. Many years ago (like 25), this was not a violation, as he maintained possession in the frontcourt and passed to a teammate in the frontcourt.

Is this now a violation? Anyone know when this rule was changed?

Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 04:31pm
In Memoriam

The pivot foot doesn't matter after the player is completely in the frontcourt. If anything then touches the back court, it's a violation.No,the rule hasn't changed in(at least) the last 45 years. You're thinking of the 3-point rule WHILE dribbling. That was a change about 25 years ago.That change said that the ball wasn't in the frontcourt until the ball and both feet of the dribbler touched entirely in the frontcourt. In the case that you're describing, that happened before the dribbler picked up his dribble- so it's not germane or applicable.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 02:24am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
....it's not germane or applicable.

The goldang Germans got nothin' to do with it.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Quote:
The Germanes were a small band of nomadic hunter-gatherers who lived in the forests of Denmark and Northern Germany. They had religious rituals for everything they did, from tracking to slaughtering to canning berries. Every part of their life was relevant to every other part. Thus the word, "germane" meaning relevant or applicable. (insert cute smilie with tongue firmly in cheek).
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 03:45am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Quote:
The Germanes were a small band of nomadic hunter-gatherers who lived in the forests of Denmark and Northern Germany. They had religious rituals for everything they did, from tracking to slaughtering to canning berries. Every part of their life was relevant to every other part. Thus the word, "germane" meaning relevant or applicable. (insert cute smilie with tongue firmly in cheek).
We got no time for that (stuff)!

Yet another challenge: Find a quote from Smokey and the Bandit which is germane and applicable to any given situation. Basketball is educational in so many ways.

[Edited by just another ref on Dec 21st, 2003 at 03:27 AM]

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

quote by JAR
Yet another challenge: Find a quote from Smokey and the Bandit which is germane and applicable to any given situation. Basketball is educational in so many ways.

You sure do get up early JAR
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 12:58pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by cropduster
quote by JAR

You sure do get up early JAR

You bet your (butt) on that boy! *

*some quotes are edited for network television and basketball discussion boards.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Jimm

Just another comment for Jimm to clarify his understanding:

A player IS fully in the frontcourt (FC) when both feet AND the ball have established FC status (completely over and into the FC). Once the player has established FC status, the FC edge of the division line now like an OOB line, it delineates the boundary of the FC. Any contact with the division line or complete crossing over constitutes a Violation.

With a defender in his face he takes a step back into the back court and passes to a teammate in the front court.

A VIOLATION has occurred, because the player has returned to the BC with the ball in his/her possession.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Jimm

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Just another comment for Jimm to clarify his understanding:

A player IS fully in the frontcourt (FC) when both feet AND the ball have established FC status (completely over and into the FC).
That's only true on a dribble, willie.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

The Germanes were a small band of nomadic hunter-gatherers who lived in the forests of Denmark and Northern Germany. They had religious rituals for everything they did, from tracking to slaughtering to canning berries. Every part of their life was relevant to every other part. Thus the word, "germane" meaning relevant or applicable. (insert cute smilie with tongue firmly in cheek). [/B][/QUOTE]

Rainmaker, as a history teacher, I liked your post very much.

From the latin "germanus", meaning of the same race.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

I thought Germane was Michael's brother.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I am still like 99.999% sure it was legal, at least back in the 70's, in Iowa high school ball. It came up a number of times when I was playing, during some critical situations, and, our coach had us practice doing just that if ever trapped in the corner so it is ingrained in my memory... but hey, maybe my crystal clear memories aren't as real as I think.

It was before dunking, the 3 point arc, jump balls were jumped, etc.

It was also Iowa, so maybe it was just an Iowa thing (they did also have girls basketball at that time where no one was ever allowed to cross midcourt... they could only play defense or offense).

Anyway... you all probably don't care, it's ancient history. I'm now feeling very old........
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R

Rainmaker, as a history teacher, I liked your post very much.

From the latin "germanus", meaning of the same race. [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow, I wasn't as far off as I thought. Have you ever played the dictionary game where you choose some weird word and copy the dictionary definition, and then read the word out loud, and everyone makes up a definition, and then you read all the definitions, and everyone chooses the one they think might be correct? I bet you'd be great at that!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

It is a game called Balderdash and is a lot of fun.