The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I have a couple over and back questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

1. If there is a loose ball and an offensive player steps on the half-court line just as he's established possession (the defensive team had the last established possession before the ball was knocked away), is this an over and back violation?

2. Is merely stepping on the half-court line a violation, or does the ball have to pass over the line as well? I had heard once that if 3 points (2 feet and the ball) have passed over into the frontcourt, 2 of the points have to pass back into the backcourt for there to be a violation.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Emjaykay

1. If there is a loose ball and an offensive player steps on the half-court line just as he's established possession (the defensive team had the last established possession before the ball was knocked away), is this an over and back violation?
Instead of using references such as offense and defense please use Team A and Team B. Just makes it a little easier to follow...

Let's try to answer this one...

The way I read your question is that a player from Team A gained possesion of the ball while stepping on the line after it became loose from Team B who had possession. I am assuming this occured in A's frontcourt in which case if A1 gained possession after stepping on the line then NO backcourt.

If A1 gained possession before stepping on the line then YES backcourt once A1 steps on the line.

Maybe you could repost this question a little clearer with a good description of the whos and the wheres

Quote:

2. Is merely stepping on the half-court line a violation, or does the ball have to pass over the line as well? I had heard once that if 3 points (2 feet and the ball) have passed over into the frontcourt, 2 of the points have to pass back into the backcourt for there to be a violation.
In your second question, this is a BC violation. The 3 points rule only applies to bringing the ball from the backcourt in to the frontcourt. Once the dribbler has established frontcourt status, any touch of the line is a BC violation.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It appears that you are saying that the defense had possession in A's front court and that the ball was knocked away (apparently by A). If that is the case then A cannot be the first to touch it in back court so #1 would be a BC violation. If the ball was last touched by the defense in A's front court, then there was no violation by A. A is determined to be in backcourt when they step on or over the mid-court line.

All 3 over to establish front court position, any 1 in backcourt after that places that player in backcourt.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 04:53pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

With last possession by the defense (in the Front court) and next possession by the opponent in the back court is not a violation

A player touching the ball and the division line is in the back court.
The "3-point rule" applies only to a dribbling player.
mick
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefRx

All 3 over to establish front court position, any 1 in backcourt after that places that player in backcourt.
Just remember - it's all three while dribbling.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

A player touching the ball and the division line is in the back court.
Even without touching the ball, a player touching the division line is in the back court.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
mick
Hey mick... Just so I am clear as well...

The dribbler could pick up his dribble while stradeling (sp?) the line and still have back court or front cort status depending on pivot foot, correct??

Thanks...
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 09:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
Quote:
mick
Hey mick... Just so I am clear as well...

The dribbler could pick up his dribble while stradeling (sp?) the line and still have back court or front cort status depending on pivot foot, correct??

Thanks...
cmckenna,
Not that simple, but simple.
Pivot foot doesn't matter. (A player could lift his pivot to pass or shoot or something, now the free foot is the only one on the floor. Where is that foot? That is where the player is.)

With one foot, or one of feet in backcourt ---> backcourt.
mick

All of us could take a lesson from the weather.
It pays no attention to criticism.