The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Securing your things

I don't recall this topic being discussed, except maybe a few hits in various threads, and I'd like to get some ideas on personal item security while we are working.

Luckily, where I work, we may not have the best of dressing facilities and may not always have shower (or hot water) access, but we are *usually* able to dress in a private area. However, I'm not always sure this area is secure, even when locked. I'm not real big on taking in a lot of items, as I usually leave everything in my car. I trust my car's security over any school's. I have to take my car keys (obviously) and when it gets cold, I'm probably wearing a fairly nice leather jacket as I don't own very many jackets! Also, I'd like to be able to take my cell phone in to have if I need it. Each of these things are potentially at risk.

So, I'm interested in hearing any ideas from lockable luggage to small bike-lock type items and anything in between.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 07:39pm
M.A.S.H.

I've got a lock that came with my bag, if I feel I need to use it, I just place all my things in my bag and lock it up. Simple enough. Haven't used it yet this year, although I thought about it for the first time on Tuesday.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

"Mr. Equipment" strikes again!

Don't let him fool you. He doesn't have a "lock that came with his bag". He's got a sophisticated computer security system on his Pods unit.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
When we travel to a school - we leave everything of value in the "safe" - the car. We then trust the school to keep our room locked. Almost every school does that for us. Some even give us the key! I've been in some schools where we are assigned a student to make sure we have water, in and out of our room at half time and they usually even bring us food after the game. (Notice the word "some" in that sentence.) Keep everything of value in your car - always. I can't think of anytime you need your cell phone but you run the risk of having it stolen . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:35am
Lighten up, Francis.

The only things I carry into a game site are my keys and my phone (and it's a cheapie phone). I do however keep a combination lock (black ) in my bag, so that if there's a locker, I can secure my keys and anything my partner(s) want locked up.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't he need that cellphone so that the student at the table can call him in the locker room at 3 mins before the start of the second half?

After all, she seems to be better at talking on the phone than working the clock.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I don't recall this topic being discussed, except maybe a few hits in various threads, and I'd like to get some ideas on personal item security while we are working.

Luckily, where I work, we may not have the best of dressing facilities and may not always have shower (or hot water) access, but we are *usually* able to dress in a private area. However, I'm not always sure this area is secure, even when locked. I'm not real big on taking in a lot of items, as I usually leave everything in my car. I trust my car's security over any school's. I have to take my car keys (obviously) and when it gets cold, I'm probably wearing a fairly nice leather jacket as I don't own very many jackets! Also, I'd like to be able to take my cell phone in to have if I need it. Each of these things are potentially at risk.

So, I'm interested in hearing any ideas from lockable luggage to small bike-lock type items and anything in between.
I leave my wallet and anything else that could be stolen in my truck.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 03:26pm

For those of you that leave your wallet in your car. Do you have keys that will automatically unlock your car? I say this because some of the places I've workout in were not as secure as you would like, and I have seen where thief's would break your padlock (the combination lock can be broken with a regular screwdriver), grab keys, and go into the parking lot and push the button until they find the car that blinks and steal the car. Now that your wallet is sitting in there, too. They now have access to your home and personal information. Me, I keep my wallet in my pocket (monetary reasons) and I keep an extra set of keys in my wallet in case I need to leave in a real real hurry. No matter where I work.

I also have a little lock for my travel bag, but that's mainly there to keep the officials honest. Only an issue when you have multiple officials sharing the same area like at camps.

I actually had my car stolen a couple of years ago at a game while I'm working and I was so worried about the thief's having access to my home, because my garage door opener was in there and I don't lock my inside door to the garage. Thank god my wallet wasn't in there but my briefcase was, and for some reason, I put this in the trunk that night, lucky. It was such a pain trying to convince the police dept. that my car was stolen cause I didn't know the license plate#, plus they took the path that the car was impounded because of the area I was in. So this took me down a different path and it was several hours later before I was able to convince them that the car was actually stolen. Imagine how difficult that would have been if I didn't have my drivers license to prove who I say I am.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 04:15pm
M.A.S.H.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
"Mr. Equipment" strikes again!

Don't let him fool you. He doesn't have a "lock that came with his bag". He's got a sophisticated computer security system on his Pods unit.
Well, I hate to brag, but it is a key pad secured with a four digit code.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

A practical question and I'm not sure of the best answer for more than a few times this year, our dressing room has not been secure.

I usually leave my stuff in my car. That in spite of the fact that earlier this season, I walked out of the gym after doing a B JV/girls V game and came upon kids breaking into a couple of cars next to mine. Most everyone was still in the gym for the boys V game. I don't know...mine could have been next but it wasn't touched.

So, I take just my officiating needs into the gym. After the above episode, I found a small corner tucked away under the drivers seat in my car and that's where I keep a black pouch with my watch, phone and money.

Oh good, now all you guys know where I keep my things. Anyway, my hopes are that getting into the car will be a crash and dash sort of thing -- with an alarm going off, they won't have time to look very far.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 06:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Me, I keep my wallet in my pocket (monetary reasons) and I keep an extra set of keys in my wallet in case I need to leave in a real real hurry. No matter where I work.
Good advice. Always carry your wallet in your back pocket while you're officiating. Maybe get a chain for it too and chain it to your belt.

Better safe than sorry.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

I do the same as most as leaving my wallet locked in the glove comparment.

I heard a story of fellow officials having their bags stolen from the coaches office. They had their car keys inside; their cars were broken into with their remotes. So now, I always have my car key/remote (no house keys or more) in my back pocket when I take the court. The key is not a hinder on the court.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Well, I hate to brag, but it is a key pad secured with a four digit code.
That's my whistle -- and I'm sticking to it!
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Don't take much of any value; if there is no locked room, then leave your bag behind the scorer's table.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:05am
M.A.S.H.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev