The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have been replaying a last second field goal attempt in my mind. Here is the scenario.

There is 13 seconds left and Team A attempts a field goal. Both teams are out of timeouts. The kick is blocked by B and there is a scramble for the ball. A recovers the ball and team B has an injured player on the opposite side of the field with under 5 seconds remaining. The ball has not been spotted or has either team attempted to line up again.

Do you stop the clock?
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Not enough information. What down was it? (Yes, it matters - if it was 4th, it's B's ball - and stopping the clock is automatic, even without the injury). If it was 3rd down, then yes, if you have to stop the clock because of an injury to B, then you stop it. Clock starts on the RFP once they get the injured player off the field.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

It was 3rd down. Team B player was not involved in the action. Team A & B players are still in a pile. Team A is not in a position to reset for the next kick.

I hope this adds additional details.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

I would probably let the clock run out How do I know he's hurt? I would probably go over to see what the problem was and by then the game would be over.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I guess for me the question wouldn't only be: "Does A have enough time to reset for another try." (Although if the answer to that is YES, and I see the injured player, I definitely stop it right there). My other question would be: "If/when A TRIES to reset for another try, is this injured player at risk at being injured worse by A-players as they frantically try to reset." If I'm positive the answer is no (say... 1 second left on the clock when I notice the injury), I might do nothing. If the kid is in danger, stop it. Safety first.

Now make this a player for A, and we have a completely different answer.