The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Our instructions are not to start the game until the coaching box is marked.....
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

As I said. Per Rule, it is a Coaching Box. It starts 28 foot from end line and goes 14 feet towards the end line. I have yet to see an Official enforce the box as it is written. Coaches have been at Mid-Court and have been at the baseline w/o being penalized. I am not going to be the first one to 'T' a coach for being out of the box. I have seen many 'Senior' officials that do not enforce this rule, so I just follow along.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
If I see there is no box marked, I always wait for the coach's meeting at 3:00 to tell them---No Box, No Standing. Its always worth a private laugh when the coaches panic and scramble to get the box marked.

I know, I know. It's wrong. But I can't help it.
You have your meeting at 3:00??? WOW! That would be late in WV. . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmz17
Coach has been, as coaches go, fairly silent regarding the officiating up to this point. Coach reacts to play on the court and stands calling for a foul. Referee calls a foul at about the same time, but Coach continues to stand, although is now simply talking to his team. Referee tells the Coach to sit down and Coach responds by saying "I don't have to sit down". Referee repeats his request and Coach continues to stand. Referee gives the Coach a T. Coach was at all times in the coaches box, in fact, coach never moved from in front of his chair. Was the T warranted?
It may or may not deserve the T, but it's silly for the coach to argue like that. Just sit down, shut up, and then stand again when the ref isn't in your face. This kind of facing off is pointless.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

julie why is is silly for the coach to argue like that and not silly for the official to make such a request. This thread actually touches me in places Michael Jackson would love to have explored 20 years ago but I received a T for the exact same reason. I think sometimes we get on coaches here just because we are supposed to but the answer to the question that was posed is that from what information we are given the T was not warranted.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

The coaching box is one of the greatest tools we have as officials when a coach gets out of line. If a coach is on me for anything, he better be in the box, because that's the first place I'm going to tell him to go.

Had a sitch last weekend where I called an intentional foul on a kid cutting through the low block that threw an elbow on his opponent. I knew the coach was going to want an explanation and he was half way to the scorers table by the time I got up to report the foul. First thing I did was send the coach back to his box. He turned and started going, and I was on my way to follow him when he turned and started bellowing at me about "seeing the whole play." His tirade ended with a what I will call a 2 footed stomp, which promptly earned him a T. This was early in the 2nd quarter. To his credit, he remained seated as required for the rest of the game as his team won a close game.

Just out of curiousity, the original coaching box was 6 feet. Now, without my books handy, I believe the rule reads that the box may be "up to 14 feet" in length. Our state has remained at 6 feet. Anyone else done that, or use something in between?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Yes its standard to Have a captains meeting separate from the coaches. So for varsity we go Captains at 12:00; book at 10:00, coaches at 3:00. For JV/Frosh we go Book at 10:00 captains at 8:00 coaches at 3:00.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

NV: Book at 10, Captains at 3, Coaches at 2.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Earlier this year, I asked a coach to have a seat on the bench. He stared at me and did not move. I said: "Coach, please take your seat on the bench." He again stared and did not move. I said: "Coach, I'm not looking for trouble, but this is the third and final time I'm going to say this. Please take your seat on the bench." I then placed my whistle in my mouth. When he did not immediately comply with my request, I granted him a T. Of course, this particular coach was an assistant coach. (A partner was talking to the head coach and this assistant was trying to enter their conversation.)

As for head coaches, if there is a coaching box privilege that has not been lost, we officials are in the wrong if we ask a coach in her or his box to "sit down" while they are in the box. We can and should address what else is happening (e.g., what is being said), but not the fact that the head coach is standing.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
NV: Book at 10, Captains at 3, Coaches at 2.
Ditto for VA.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

There has to be more to this story, and I witnessed this exact same thing happen in a JR. Varsity tournament this year. The said coach had been ranting at the official the entire game, the official had called the foul on the said coaches player and the coach went nuts while standing in his box. The official told the coach "that's enough coach, you need to sit down", the coach replied, "you can't make me sit down" The technical was given and the coach sat down and didn't say another word the rest of the game.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

ok go get the poppedcorn

maybe bring a fire suppresent because I have a can of gas and am about to apply it to the fire LOL.....

I personally would like to see the coaching box abolished...(ok here comes the gasoline)...I think they should be able to roam as they do in the college ranks...I personally don't care to look and make sure the coach is in their "cage"....I understand that some think it is a tool...I am of the mind, if they say something inappropriate, I don't care if they are in or out of their box, if it deserves a "T", they get it, regardless of where they are located. I also am of the mind, that if they are coaching, I don't really care where they are...yes I direct them back to the box, but it would be much easier to not have to worry about it.....
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Amen to that!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

If he is coaching his team and you haven't given him a T already, Why were you asking him to sit down?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, maybe the official was trying not to give the coach a "T". Maybe it's the way the coach told the official " you can't make me sit down". "Ok coach, that's enough, you need to sit down" (this should be a warning to the coach), coach: With his chest stuck out, and pointing his finger at the official, and screaming at the top of his lungs..." You can't make me sit down". I think that warrants a "T" and if he doesn't sit then, I give him another and wave good bye.