The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:10pm
M.A.S.H.

After the 3 with 6.7 left it was 77-73, anyone catch the ESPN scoreboard read 77-76? I wonder who they want to win?!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

TJ, be glad you could watch ESPN. As bad as some poeple dislike Dickie V, at least you guys didn't have to listen to Billy "That's a foul, no call," Packer.

ESPN is blacked out here. We have to watch ACC regional coverage.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
TJ, be glad you could watch ESPN. As bad as some poeple dislike Dickie V, at least you guys didn't have to listen to Billy "That's a foul, no call," Packer.

ESPN is blacked out here. We have to watch ACC regional coverage.
LOL amen!!!
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:21pm
M.A.S.H.

Good point, Tony. However, I watched it with the volume very, very low. I did notice the other guy say whenever the ball was kicked one time that the team would get a fresh 35.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

I used to listen to the UNC radio broadcast. But with satellite, TV is 10 seconds behind radio.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Reggie Greenwood and Teddy Valentine were 2 of the officials.

Bryan Kersey was definitely NOT the 3rd official working. I haven't looked up the boxscore yet....I'll do that now, hold on.

Well, the officials' names have not been posted yet, but again, I gaurantee Bryan Kersey wasn't working. May have been Karl Hess, but I thought he had more of a spiked hair-do.

I only watched the end but I did have to endure Billy Packer hollering for an intentional foul because Hansborough supposedly never had the basketball. Of course replay proved Packer wrong. ESPN was blacked out here b/c one of our local stations is an ACC network affiliate.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 01:58pm.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He grabbed the rim with both hands, and then released it before returning to the floor.
He would have to be pretty tall to release the rim after returning to the floor
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

From the boxscore: Officials: Gary Maxwell, Reggie Greenwood, Ted Valentine
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Interesting plays:

Reyshawn Terry went down in the lane. A Duke player came into the lane and tripped over him. TV called the foul on Terry. That's contrary to what we've always discussed on this forum.
No it's not contrary to what we've stated on this forum. For NFHS this is NOT a foul per an old case book play which has now disappeared. However, the NCAA has an A.R. that says that this is a blocking foul. We've been pointing out that difference in the rules sets for a few years now.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
John Cloughtery may or may not be there.

These guys are veteran, Final Four officials. Evaluator? I doubt it. If you're capable of working the biggest rivalry in sports, you've already been evaluated several times.

For tomegun: Brian Kersey gave K the ! I love it!

Almost all Div 1 games have observers (evaluators) at the games no matter who good the officials are.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:24am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Reyshawn Terry went down in the lane. A Duke player came into the lane and tripped over him. TV called the foul on Terry. That's contrary to what we've always discussed on this forum.
It's contrary to the high school interpretation, but I think we've talked about this difference before. Not sure if I can find an old thread, but here's the NCAA AR:

Quote:
A.R. 91 B1 slips to the floor in the free-throw lane. A1 (whith his/her back to B1, who is prone) receives a pass, turns and, in his or her attempt to drive to the basket, trips and falls over B1. RULING: Foul on B1, who has taken an illegal defensive position.
Correct call.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know what game you're watching but he did not slap the backboard. He grabbed the rim with both hands, and then released it before returning to the floor.
Read my post again. I didn't say he slapped the backboard. I said he grabbed the rim and then slapped it (THE RIM) as he was going down MUCH AS A PLAYER SLAPS THE BACKBOARD AFTER A DUNK.

I think the slap, not the grabbing of the rim, is what got him T'ed up. I'm asking if there is a rule supporting this.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco
I think the slap, not the grabbing of the rim, is what got him T'ed up. I'm asking if there is a rule supporting this.
I guess I'll answer my own question.

Rule 10.13 Grasping either basket in an excessive, emphatic manner during the officials’ jurisdiction when the player is not, in the judgment of an official, trying to prevent an obvious injury to himself, herself or others.

I'm going to guess that the slapping of the rim is what signaled the "excessive, emphatic" judgement by the L. Good call.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco
I guess I'll answer my own question.

Rule 10.13 Grasping either basket in an excessive, emphatic manner during the officials’ jurisdiction when the player is not, in the judgment of an official, trying to prevent an obvious injury to himself, herself or others.

I'm going to guess that the slapping of the rim is what signaled the "excessive, emphatic" judgement by the L. Good call.
I do not know anyone that uses the term "slapping the rim." You grab the rim and you slap the backboard.

I just wanted to make that point to you. It is always better to use the terminology of the rulebook. The rulebook does not say “slapping the rim” is in itself a violation.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not know anyone that uses the term "slapping the rim." You grab the rim and you slap the backboard.

I just wanted to make that point to you. It is always better to use the terminology of the rulebook. The rulebook does not say “slapping the rim” is in itself a violation.

Peace
Thanks.

I understand that slapping the rim is not in and of itself a violation. However, I think that the slapping of the rim was perhaps the manifestation of "excessive/emphatic."

Watch the tape. He grabs the rim, then slaps the rim with an open hand. The way his body was moving, I would have (and I believe the L might have) given him the benefit of the doubt that he was trying to maintain his balance. But the slapping of the rim indicated to me emphatic/excessive.