The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone see that game? Steve Skiles was on it. During free throws, Duke player stepped in the lane, then a Central Mich. player stepped in, both before the release of the ball. Steve made a delayed double violation signal. Shooter missed the free throw. NO WHISTLE. I don't have my books in front of me to see the NCAA rule. Can someone help?! Thanks!
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra1
Did anyone see that game? Steve Skiles was on it. During free throws, Duke player stepped in the lane, then a Central Mich. player stepped in, both before the release of the ball. Steve made a delayed double violation signal. Shooter missed the free throw. NO WHISTLE. I don't have my books in front of me to see the NCAA rule. Can someone help?! Thanks!
I thought that they both stepped in at the same time. Referee made what looked like double dead ball signal; both arms went out.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

It looked to me that Duke stepped in first. Regardless, what is the ruling in this sutuation. The official obviously saw the play, he signaled delayed double lane violation. I was just curious to know what the call should've been or was he right to let them play on.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It looked to me that Duke stepped in first. Regardless, what is the ruling in this sutuation. The official obviously saw the play, he signaled delayed double lane violation. I was just curious to know what the call should've been or was he right to let them play on.
If there's any kind of a violation, and the FT is missed, you never "play on." Didn't see the game, so I can't commetn on the particular play.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2003, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the game and the violation that you are referring to. I also thought that the Duke player stepped in first before the Central Michigan player. However, since the official signaled the double violation, he should have blown his whistle as soon as he saw it and went with the possession arrow. I was really surprised that the official signaled the double violation, but gave no whistle. I guess that even D-I officials make mistakes!!!
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 12:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by manhong
I saw the game and the violation that you are referring to. I also thought that the Duke player stepped in first before the Central Michigan player.
Well under NCAA Rules, this should have been a violation only on Duke. The first violation is the only one that is supposed to be enforced in a situation like that.

Quote:
Originally posted by manhong

However, since the official signaled the double violation, he should have blown his whistle as soon as he saw it and went with the possession arrow. I was really surprised that the official signaled the double violation, but gave no whistle. I guess that even D-I officials make mistakes!!!
He should have done that anyway (blowing the whistle that is). But D1 Officials are human too.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

My opinion, though it is obviously the unpopular and not the prevailing view, is that this official simply didn't know the rule.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2003, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

JRut, that's what I thought. Only a violation on the first offender. Is that because of dissertion(sp) of the next "offender?" I was just surprised as anyone there was no whistle. I don't know about the not knowing the rule part though. Maybe it took a little too long to process. Thanks for the info though.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2003, 06:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Good assumption

Quote:
JRut, that's what I thought. Only a violation on the first offender. Is that because of dissertion(sp) of the next "offender?" I was just surprised as anyone there was no whistle. I don't know about the not knowing the rule part though. Maybe it took a little too long to process. Thanks for the info though.
I think that is the idea behind the rule. That is how they explained the change this year in NF Rules. I can assume that this is the reason the NCAA has this rule in place.

Peace