The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone see the Duke/UTT game last night? With under 1 minute, Duke secured a rebound and pushed a outlet pass up the floor for a clean break away, the UTT defender came up from behind and hooked the Duke players arm then contact with the left hand and finally body for a pretty hard foul. IMHO I thought this was surely going to be ruled intentional, but was not. Any thoughts on this from anyone who saw this play, just wondering what your reaction was. Thought the crew did an excellent job with this very well played game.

CK
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

I watched that game last night and I know just the play you're talking about. Yeah, I was surprised that the foul wasn't ruled intentional, too. But when we have refs who are that good overall, I just go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt. (And in this case...since I'm a Big 12 fan and was rooting for Tech anyway...I'm REALLY not going to complain!)

Could it be that this crew was just getting used to all of the the roughness? Big 12 teams like to run-and-gun, and they like to beat each other up. I mean, how many times can you blow that whistle without totally stopping the game entirely (and without turning blue)? I have always wondered how the refs decide which foul to call when the whole thing starts looking like a hockey game and you have your choice of A), B), C) or all of the above.

Gee, if a prejudiced Big 12 fan like me would call it intentional, just think how the Duke fans reacted! Ican't wait to read everyone else's input.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I think they had to call a common foul because of the "NON-intentional" common foul earlier at the other end. Both of these foul could have been called either way. So at least they were consistent.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Hey, thanks for posting about a women's game. I thought maybe I was the only one watching. I haven't actually seen this game yet, I'm a little behind on the tapes. I'll get to it around mid-May.

Bart, wasn't your daughter going to be reffing this year? How'd she do? Did she like it? Were you proud?
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 03:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Hey, thanks for posting about a women's game. I thought maybe I was the only one watching.
How can the UConn ladies make 9 straight FT's in the last 3 minutes of their game with Purdue,and the guys in an average NCAA or NBA game have a helluva time making 2 in a row?

Riddle me that,Batwoman!

Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

The ball is smaller?
Or perhaps since they spend less practice time on dunks they are working on free throws!
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Bart, wasn't your daughter going to be reffing this year? How'd she do? Did she like it? Were you proud?
Thanks for asking. She love it. It in her blood now. The BB season has been over for 2 wks. Yesterday she told me to get her a Fox 40 because her Mini 40 is not loud enough.
She is going to start officiating other sports as well.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

nevadaref nailed it...how often do you see free throw attempts on SportsCenter?
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker, I love watching womens basketball and love officiating it even more. It is a great game to watch and officiate, and it makes it even more interesting when one of the greatest if not the greatest(IMHO) basketball players to play NCAA was from my Alma Mater, the one, the only Jackie Stiles! By the way, a buddy of mine played for Southwest MO State University(SMSU) for three years and he commented on what a pure shooter she is and how she has a great understanding of how the game is to be played both mentally and pysically.

CK
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by CK
Rainmaker, I love watching womens basketball and love officiating it even more. It is a great game to watch and officiate, and it makes it even more interesting when one of the greatest if not the greatest(IMHO) basketball players to play NCAA was from my Alma Mater, the one, the only Jackie Stiles! By the way, a buddy of mine played for Southwest MO State University(SMSU) for three years and he commented on what a pure shooter she is and how she has a great understanding of how the game is to be played both mentally and pysically.
I love women's ball, too, but it doesn't get nearly the attention on this board that men's does. I understand, and after all, men's basketball is a great sport. But last year during March there wasn't any discussion about the women's games. Just none. Seeing that people are interested in it this year, I'm more likely to watch the games on TV, instead of tapimg them to watch later.

And I'm a Stiles fan, too. Remember she played here in Portland for two years, although her second year was a little too injury prone. She's such a terrific athlete and competitor, and not even remotely star-struck. She ALMOST balanced out all the garbage Portland took because of Rasheed Wallace. And that's a LOT of credit to her!!