The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75

If he asked me why I tee'd him up, I would ask him, "Why do you think?"
I hope you're just blowing smoke there, pardner.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbofficial
Ha, that reminds me of a situation I had this weekend. Youth league (jr. high age) game. I call a block on B1 as he is trying to press A1. The kid starts yelling at me and says "when your feet are set, that's a charge!!!!". I told the kid to knock it and that was enough but there is no doubt in my mind that I should have T'd him. I guess I didn't because it was a youth game but after about a minute I realized that I should have at least T'd him and I've been kicking myself ever since.
I don't think you NEED to T him at that point. You've got a few other choices. You might make a mention to the coach that #whatever has a mouth problem that could cost him. You might tell the kid that he's treading on dangerous territory when he tries to call the game. I don't think I'd T him straight up, though. I didn't see it, either. I suppose if he was adamant enough I might.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

That was all?

My game last nite after an out of bounds call in a 2 point game with 20 seconds left, one of the player from the team it went against thew a couple "F" bombs at me (one Tech) then tore off his jersey like hulk Hogan and charged towards me (second tech and ejection) 4 made free throws and possesion and another score wrapped that one up. Then he confronted and threaten me after the game. Makes me think about getting the NASO insurance.....Scarey....This was Adult Rec league.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
The first T was a good one...although running over isn't, try to handle it like any other call.

You and your partner have calls to report, and a sequence of events that will be occurring, so back up, meet up and do so as far away from the coach as possible...at that point your partner makes his report, than you make yours.

Typically, I prefer the non-calling official handle the coach post-T, but in this case, you pretty much whacked him for your partner and his questions...as stupid as they are, he knows why he got it...are directed at you, and his biggest beef is still probably with your partner.

I'd have your partner administer the FTs for the T and I'd handle the coach:

Coach: Why did I get the T?

Me: Coach, you've been very vocal about calls all game, and when something like throwing a clip board is included, that is automatic...you lost your box and you'll need to take a seat.

Then walk away.
Humm I do not know about this I go over this in my pregame but if i give a T I want one of my partners going over to inform the coach that he has the seatbelt. Am I wrong in this, no official has said they did not like that in a pregame. I just think that things are heated already why put fuel in the fire when I could just use a little preventive officiating. If he goes off on partner also then he deserves to be tossed and if he does get tossed he can't use the whole I am the one who had a problem with him, both me and partner did. Would anyone object to how I handle my T situation.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Would anyone object to how I handle my T situation.
I wouldn't object. I leave it up to the calling official. If s/he wants to stay there and take care of business, that's fine. If s/he wants to walk away, that's fine too. It depends on the official, the coach, prior history, the reason for the T, ...