The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Correctable?

A1 shooting free throw. Free throw attempt misses ring (wide right), hits back board and speeds through B1's hands. A2 controls ball and shoots, try is successful. Lead calls foul on A2, count basket. As Lead reports foul on A2, A's Coach gets Trail to admit he missed the violation. Is this correctable? (I'm A's Coach and friends with Trail - Team A was in control the whole game, so there was really no drama here. But I thought it was a good question to the board)
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Are you asking if it's a correctable error by rule 2.10 (no) or if it should be corrected? (no). If the trail missed it, how can he now go back and say that he didn't miss it?????
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagomer
A1 shooting free throw. Free throw attempt misses ring (wide right), hits back board and speeds through B1's hands. A2 controls ball and shoots, try is successful. Lead calls foul on A2, count basket. As Lead reports foul on A2, A's Coach gets Trail to admit he missed the violation. Is this correctable? (I'm A's Coach and friends with Trail - Team A was in control the whole game, so there was really no drama here. But I thought it was a good question to the board)
A2 committed a foul? And the basket was counted?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Duh, sorry. B1 fouled.

I was asking about whether it was correctable by rule. I understand that sometimes the answer is just "whoops, missed that" but in this case, the whoops resulted in points and a foul, and then you can follow the "seems like" and "oughtta" logic to where I wish it had been correctable.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 09:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Duh, sorry. B1 fouled.

I was asking about whether it was correctable by rule. I understand that sometimes the answer is just "whoops, missed that" but in this case, the whoops resulted in points and a foul, and then you can follow the "seems like" and "oughtta" logic to where I wish it had been correctable.
Yep, that is what happens sometimes. Hopefully not more than once in anybody's career.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 10:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
As Lead reports foul on A2, A's Coach gets Trail to admit he missed the violation. Is this correctable?
Your question has already been answered - by yourself. It's not a correctable error. It's a missed call.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

What if the FT had contacted the ring, but after A2 got the rebound he traveled before shooting and getting fouled? If the official failed to call the travel, you know that that can't be corrected. Missing the violation on the FT shooter is the same thing.

Tough luck on that one and the game goes on.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

yeah, it's kinda funny how responding to the board's clarifying questions forces me to answer my own question, with an answer that is quite obvious. This board makes better coaches, too, if we're willing to accept the training.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
yeah, it's kinda funny how responding to the board's clarifying questions forces me to answer my own question, with an answer that is quite obvious. This board makes better coaches, too, if we're willing to accept the training.
Excellent attitude, coach. I hope that you continue to stick around and that your posts bring you more positive insights.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

BTW a great example of a missed violation call that lead to a basket was last night's game between Nebraska and Texas Tech.

On the final play, with Texas Tech leading 59-58, a Texas Tech player attempts to save the ball along the sideline in his backcourt by leaping into the first row of the stands. There is only seconds remaining when he jumps. He actually lands OOB on one foot while holding the ball, but the official does not call the violation. Instead of throwing the ball downcourt, which would have allowed time to expire with his team ahead, he throws it directly back inbounds where it is caught by a Nebraska player who then drains a 3 pointer as time expires!

Bobby Knight's not going to be happy about that missed call.