The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question about bringing the elbow around

Had this happen in a game I was working on Saturday. Late in the 4th quarter the offensive player caught the ball out by the 3 point line, defender came out, bumped him kind of got under him, I called the foul, started to go over to report the foul, would be shooting 1 and 1, the offensive player turns his elbow toward the defensive player, he stops before making any contact and defensive player backs away so no confrontation or anything, I warn the offensive player to watch the elbow, I told him the play was over the foul was called, should I have done anything else? should I have had a technical foul here for the elbow without any contact? just wondering on how to handle this situation the next time, since it was a dead ball if there was contact I know I would have had a technical foul and then I would have had to decide if it was flagrant or not. Since there was no contact how does this get handled?
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on what had happened the rest of the game leading up to that point...had there been previous rough play, aggressive acts, or unsporting behavior from these players?

One could argue that the elbow in this situation is the same as a punch, the attempt to strike is the same as striking when it comes to fighting.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174
Had this happen in a game I was working on Saturday. Late in the 4th quarter the offensive player caught the ball out by the 3 point line, defender came out, bumped him kind of got under him, I called the foul, started to go over to report the foul, would be shooting 1 and 1, the offensive player turns his elbow toward the defensive player, he stops before making any contact and defensive player backs away so no confrontation or anything, I warn the offensive player to watch the elbow, I told him the play was over the foul was called, should I have done anything else? should I have had a technical foul here for the elbow without any contact? just wondering on how to handle this situation the next time, since it was a dead ball if there was contact I know I would have had a technical foul and then I would have had to decide if it was flagrant or not. Since there was no contact how does this get handled?
If I thought there was any intentionality in it at all, I think I'd have called a T. I can't see that this could be anything other than a taunt or a threat, even though it's non-verbal.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Fielder's choice. The raised elbow is certainly confrontational, the very least, taunting. Did it happen in the low post or out where many could see the action? You could have issued a 'T' and gotten support for it. If there was nothing after that moment for the rest of the game, then you dodged the bullet. If something were to happen with that player and another, you can bet the opposing coach would have asked why you didn't pull the trigger on this guy when you should have. Maybe somewhere in-between, take him over to the coach and encourage the coach to have a moment with the player about the ethics of sportsmanship. Coach, I need a sub now. then everyone sees you have attempted to solve the problem w/o having to go to 'level 5' to do it.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 06:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
If I thought there was any intentionality in it at all, I think I'd have called a T. I can't see that this could be anything other than a taunt or a threat, even though it's non-verbal.
Oh, Mr Annoying Grammar Guy!!!
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_from_Mi
Maybe somewhere in-between, take him over to the coach and encourage the coach to have a moment with the player about the ethics of sportsmanship.
Talk about the blind leading the blind.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Oh, Mr Annoying Grammar Guy!!!
What do you think is wrong here?
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:59pm
Aleve Titles to Others

I have never heard of the word "Intentionality". Intent, yes. Intention, yes. Intentional, yes. But then, I often end up finishing sentences with prepositions.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have never heard of the word "Intentionality". Intent, yes. Intention, yes. Intentional, yes. But then, I often end up finishing sentences with prepositions.
Don't you mean that it's prepositions that your sentences end in?
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 09:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Well, now that you bring it up.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

T Him Up!

I would T him up for the elbow. Then I would watch closely for any reaction from him so that I could T him up again and be finished with him for the night. I would also hold up the stop sign to the coach if he had any quesiton about it. I would then hope that the assistant coach had something to say so that I could ring him up as well.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yea, I see. Well, I didn't want to use "intent" because that implies that the player fully intended to make contact, and I wanted to indicate a less violent thought process. I also didn't use "intention" or "intentional" because of the vocabulary confusion that might result. "Intentionality" means, in this context, that the player was swinging the elbow as a deliberate act, even if there was no "intent" to make contact.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Yea, I see. Well, I didn't want to use "intent" because that implies that the player fully intended to make contact, and I wanted to indicate a less violent thought process. I also didn't use "intention" or "intentional" because of the vocabulary confusion that might result. "Intentionality" means, in this context, that the player was swinging the elbow as a deliberate act, even if there was no "intent" to make contact.
errr....now I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
errr....now I have no idea what you're talking about.
That's because her intentionality was to confusiate you.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
That's because her intentionality was to confusiate you.
That's certaintentially true.