The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I usually carry a handkerchief with me so i can keep myself kinna dry and cool all in the same time. nothing is worst than walking up to a coach with sweat dripping down your forhead. Im 16 and I feel like im pretty good shape. I mean I call 3+ games on most days mostly 2 of which are back to back. Well we were a few short this weekend so everyones schedules doubled. I went from 5 to 8 games. Saturday I started at 10. Called a 12 and 1. Well I was going to go to my next game at a different gym and meet a "friend" hehe whoom i was going to spend the rest of the day with and enjoy the game and company. So i get there just as the teams are going to the benches after warmup. My director is standing at center court looking for his partner. I kinna shake it off and try to sneak to the seats before he catches me. Well he sees me the second i hit the door and calls me over. So I get ropped into not only calling but R for the game. 3 min pregame and boom - tip off. Well I was pretty beat after the game and had a 10-13 yr girls game right after it with my director. During the girls game on most time out and on some free-throw administration id pull my hanky out and whipe my forehead off. (I sweat very easily sometimes) and well. After the game someone who claims to have called college ball in his younger days and seems to show up at all my full court games said if I wanted to move up to middle school ball next year it'd be best if I lost that habit. Whats the difference between pulling a hanky out to wipe my face off in basketall than a football official drinking water in the middle of the game. I never drink anything on the floor. Maybe a quick shot between quaters and than a bottle at half time. What do you guys think and or do about keeping cool and dry.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

If it's terribly hot, I may grab a towel during a TO but I don't carry anything with me. I don't drink anything, except between games and at halftime.

As for football, games are regularly played in 80+ degree heat where I live. It would be stupid not to drink water when a team uses a TO or when we stop the game to give players a water break.

As for the comment that was made to you, I wouldn't worry about it right now. It's rec ball and it's different than anything else. We sit at the table at halftime, drink a Gatorade, etc. while sitting tableside. I wouldn't ever do that during a HS game but things are a little different. As you move up, you'll drop certain habits.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 11:03am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
I usually carry a handkerchief with me so i can keep myself kinna dry and cool all in the same time. nothing is worst than walking up to a coach with sweat dripping down your forhead.

During the s game on most time out and on some free-throw administration id pull my hanky out and whipe my forehead off. (I sweat very easily sometimes) and well. After the game someone who claims to have called college ball in his younger days and seems to show up at all my full court games said if I wanted to move up to middle school ball next year it'd be best if I lost that habit. Whats the difference between pulling a hanky out to wipe my face off in basketall than a football official drinking water in the middle of the game. I never drink anything on the floor. Maybe a quick shot between quaters and than a bottle at half time. What do you guys think and or do about keeping cool and dry.
Nothing at all is wrong with sweating in front of the coach. What says "I'm working hard" more than a sweaty head? I'm bald, so I have sweat running down my head with no hair to catch it. I use wiping sweat (with my hand, never with a hanky) off on my pants as a "show" for the coach that I'm working hard. Use the hanky if you like, but I would never do it. I will ask the bench for a towek during a FT or other break in the action to wipe off my head.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Can someone please explain why you would not drink water during a game ?? I don't mean at every break but how about each quarter and at the half??? I mean, come on.. we are running just as much as the players and I would much rather be running with a well hydrated partner rather than having to worry when he is going to drop... I find that afetr running for a while with the whistle in my mouth I get very dry from breathing through my mouth and I would never hesitate to get a drink if it was necessary for me.

Are we afraid that people might look and say ... ohh that ref needs a drink of water.. he must be out of shape...

The players get to drink water....
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 12:10pm
9 times

I drink it anytime I am thirsty. It is ok by me.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Thats nothing,bottled water, drying towel!
I bring the lawn chair, sun tan lotion, and pre-game the gym for extra power, for my electric fan. The best thing about the fan, all table officials benifit as well. Good thing we have partners, too much for one to carry. Just having fun with this, I play field lacrosse as a mid- fielder during basketball season and helps with my fitness level, certainly reduces sweating. I try to hydrate as much as possible hours before my games, but keep my towel and water in the refs room for halftime use. Hey fellas I never see NCAA Div. 1 refs carry towels and water out to the table before their games. Can't tell while watching games on the tube. Yes? or No? Anyone know for sure.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Teddly
I play field lacrosse as a mid- fielder during basketball season
Ted, where do you live that you can play outdoor lax in the middle of winter? Wish I was there. . .

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 03:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I play field lacrosse as a mid- fielder during basketball season
Ted, where do you live that you can play outdoor lax in the middle of winter? Wish I was there. . .

Chuck
That's funny.Most of the teams that you referee wish you were there,too,Chuck.

Gee,I missed you!
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Laughing, and shaking my head. Man, oh man. . .
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 04:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Hey,remember last week when you were telling us about your sunny Caribbean vacation while we were up to our a$$ in snow?

Ah,on second thought,forget about it.After all,it wasn't all "fun and games" on the island.You did have SOME responsibilities.

De plane,Boss,de plane!!

Yup,I really missed ya!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 20th, 2003 at 03:45 PM]
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Hey,remember last week when you were telling us about your sunny Caribbean vacation while we were up to our a$$ in snow?

Ah,on second thought,forget about it.After all,it wasn't all "fun and games" on the island.You did have SOME responsibilities.

De plane,Boss,de plane!!

Yup,I really missed ya!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 20th, 2003 at 03:45 PM]
Nah, Chuck keeps his hair much neater than Herve.

(Welcome back Chuck! )

Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see anything wrong with keeping and handkerchief in your back pocket and wiping the sweat off of you during a timeout. At a camp I attended 2 summers ago, one of the instructors offered it as a suggestion.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey fellas I never see NCAA Div. 1 refs carry towels and water out to the table before their games. Can't tell while watching games on the tube. Yes? or No? Anyone know for sure.
Never in a game at which I've worked the table.

I can understand this for the rec games to which Ace refers. Doing three or four games in a row (even if shortened games) can take a toll on you, and water and sweat removal are pretty important things. (That said, I just use my hand instead of a towel.)
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 08:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[/B]
(That said, I just use my hand instead of a towel.) [/B][/QUOTE]Just a suggestion. Pick out the yappiest player on the floor. Go over to him/her and pull their shirt-tail out and wipe your face with it. Then tell him/her that they can't play with their shirt untucked,and send 'em to the bench.

It's called "game management".
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 08:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down I don't see a problem..........

with a handkerchief, but I do have a problem with bringing a water bottle on the court. Not to say that you could not get a drink of water, but I do not think you bring that out on the court with you. Most schools (not all) are going to provide you with water or some kind of refreshment in the locker room. If they do not you can bring your own and keep it in the locker room. But if you are doing "organized" ball and not the rec. league type, I do not think it looks very professional. I saw an official at a Christmas Tournament do this, it did not look so good in my eye. You can drink before and after a half or game plenty. I just do not see any time during the game, unless the game management provides it for you during the game like the "big time" does it.

But understand, this is one person's view. I personally feel you should be in shape or hydrate yourself enough before and after the game so that this is not a problem. I can say, it is not outside life football or baseball where the heat can take the water right out of you. I might sweat, but not like those sports.

Peace