View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 01:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

For the most part watch calls and no-calls. The best thing about watching D1 college games are to see how officials call the game. They do not calling ticky tack calls that do not affect play. I personally feel that the best thing is to simply watch the judgment. After this, watch how officials handle players and coaches. I think D1 officials are some of the best at how they behave when coaches and players are getting goofy. Their body language is similar to the NBA but they are dealing with amateur players in an amateur environment. NBA officials are dealing with men and the expectations of that interaction which can learn from do not require the same style.

I attend the Big Ten Tournament every year and I have learned how to handle coaches better by watching an Ed Hightower, Ted Hilary and Donnie Gray just to name a few.

Also understand that when you watch veterans that have been around for 20+ years they have mechanics or an officiating style that is different. If you watch any sport 20 years ago or more and watch the officials, you will see a drastic difference in the mechanics used. So you cannot use the same standard for newer officials to what Hightower or Welmer does. But you can learn how they call the game because many of their calls are absolutely right on.

Peace