The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

"Team Control" Mechanics

Dumb question.....but, anyone having difficulties with the new mechanics regarding "Team Control" foul action? Remembering to use the appropriate signal...administering the throw-in at POI.....how you communicate to partners and scorer's table....etc.....also, if opposing team is in bonus, we do not shoot bonus!

It's been a tough adjustment. Is it just me....or are others experiencing this same transition problem?

Any hints or experiences that can be shared to help make this change easier to adjust to?
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

the biggest problem i am having is when i am trail/center coming up with the stop clock/foul signal with my "inside" arm so that i can do the "punch" in the opposite direction. we were told by our association that this is how they want it done so that the team control punch is in the direction where the ball will be going at the same time that the stop clock fist is up.....previously i have always stopped the clock with the same arm on every foul call, now i am having to conciously switch depending on which direction we are going which is EXTREMELY awkward....in terms of the mechanic itself, if i am going in the "right" direction=) it is stop clock, tc fist in direction ball will be going followed by preliminary signal (block, push, etc) then a point to the throw-in spot....i think the key is to do it consistently and slow so that partners/everyone else picks it up..
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

You know what you're supposed to be doing as far as mechinics, so my advice is to slow down. Just relax, keep your fist in the air while you gather your thoughts and then go about your business. When I was new, the problems I had with mechanics were just that I'd get excited and in a hurry. Remember, after you hit your whistle and stop play, nothing is going to happen until you take care of what you need to do.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

It's just you.

Seriously, the rule has been around for 1.5 years, so that shouldn't be a problem. The specific mechanic might be, but my guess is that no one is really watching.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref
Dumb question.....but, anyone having difficulties with the new mechanics regarding "Team Control" foul action? Remembering to use the appropriate signal...administering the throw-in at POI.....how you communicate to partners and scorer's table...
I had one the other night on a post player who was locking down his defender. The mechanics the FED wants just don't come naturally to me. On my play I came out with: fist, then punch, followed by the non-existant and illegal lockdown signal. When I reported to the table I gave color, number, and punch, and pointed to the throw-in spot.

It wasn't by the book, but everyone in the gym (including my supervisor) knew what I was calling.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

so is everyone else but me ambidextrous or is anyone else having a problem coming up with the correct hand? i find myself often in the situation where i am having to stop the clock and give the tc signal with the same hand....not the end of the world, but not the "correct" mechanic either....easiest when you are lead, straight out in front of you!
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:04pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
i find myself often in the situation where i am having to stop the clock and give the tc signal with the same hand....not the end of the world, but not the "correct" mechanic either.
It's not the mechanic? Does it say somewhere to use the hand that is not used to stop the clock? I don't have any problem with the way you describe, unless I'm missing something.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio has us not use the punch. We use the hand behind the head player control foul signal for ALL team control fouls. No Punch.

My problem is that I have a tendancy to punch the direction in an effort to sell the call. During one game, one of my assignors complemented me on my mechanics. The very next game, I was dinged for the punch!! Well. Which is it?????
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Dumb question.....but, anyone having difficulties with the new mechanics regarding "Team Control" foul action? Remembering to use the appropriate signal...administering the throw-in at POI.....how you communicate to partners and scorer's table....etc.....also, if opposing team is in bonus, we do not shoot bonus!
Nope. It is very easy to use the signal and definitely easy to know when it applies.

Quote:
It's been a tough adjustment. Is it just me....or are others experiencing this same transition problem?

Any hints or experiences that can be shared to help make this change easier to adjust to?
If you know the rule, not sure why it is hard to know when to apply the rule or the signal? For the most part you are calling this foul on screens and post play. I have yet to see or call on a loose ball that is a TC foul (interrupted dribble for example).

Peace
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Ohio has us not use the punch. We use the hand behind the head player control foul signal for ALL team control fouls. No Punch.

My problem is that I have a tendancy to punch the direction in an effort to sell the call. During one game, one of my assignors complemented me on my mechanics. The very next game, I was dinged for the punch!! Well. Which is it?????
So you're not using the NFHS mechanic in your state?
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
so is everyone else but me ambidextrous or is anyone else having a problem coming up with the correct hand? i find myself often in the situation where i am having to stop the clock and give the tc signal with the same hand....not the end of the world, but not the "correct" mechanic either....easiest when you are lead, straight out in front of you!
Some of us don't care which hand we use. I use my left hand on some fouls, the right on others.

Bigger fish to fry, if you ask me (which you didn't).
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I don't think I've used the stop clock mechanic before an out of bounds call in 10 years. Amazingly enough, the clock always stops anyway

I have bird-dogged twice this season. It made me feel quite nostalgic.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I don't think I've used the stop clock mechanic before an out of bounds call in 10 years. Amazingly enough, the clock always stops anyway

I have bird-dogged twice this season. It made me feel quite nostalgic.
Hey Rich.....you don't have to be a "smarty pants"!
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which State? Confusion or Ohio. (Some might say thats redundant).

No Ohio does not use the Federation mechanic. But then, Ohio has always done things their own way.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Hey Rich.....you don't have to be a "smarty pants"!
OK, I exaggerate. I'll use the stop clock when I have to look to a partner to bail me out cause I didn't see the ball shoot out of bounds. Tends to happen once in a while baseline opposite side 3-person (when it shoots out quick) and above the FT line extended on my side 2-person.