The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
strange play, didn't know what to call

I am trail, A1 inbounding near the division line by the table. A2 come streaking near the sideline, toward the backcourt, very closely guarded by B2. As they get close to us two things happened simultaneously: A1 passed the ball in, and A2's feet and B2's feet got tangled. The ball hit the inbound players bounced away and hit coach B oob, just as A2 and B2 hit the deck. I wwhistled immediately, keeping my hand in the air (flat), and watching to see that the now prone players were okay. Ball was bouncing peacefully inbounds.

I knew something had to be called, but I had no idea what. There was clearly no foul (although A coach didn't see it that way), but I wasn't sure what to do. So I went to my partner and said, qhietly, "Hey, bail me out here, what do I do?" He did. He said, "B tapped the ball oob, give it to A." Coach A wanted a foul, but was at least relieved that he got the ball back. Coach B didn't say a word.

It just felt funny to stop play with the ball bouncing, unattended, inbounds.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 04:59am
In Memoriam

No foul for the incidental contact. Violation on the player that knocked the throw-in OOB. Partner saved your azz. All is good.

You can now go to bed with visions of sugarplum dancing through your head.

Whatinthehell is sugarplum anyway?

If your partner hadn't have bailed you out, you woulda gone to the arrow. No biggie no matter what.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 05:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
No foul for the incidental contact. Violation on the player that knocked the throw-in OOB. Partner saved your azz. All is good.

You can now go to bed with visions of sugarplum dancing through your head.

Whatinthehell is sugarplum anyway?

If your partner hadn't have bailed you out, you woulda gone to the arrow. No biggie no matter what.
Left to my own devices, I"d have given the ball to B, because I really thought A knocked it out. But I wasn't looking at hte ball, I was watching the players take the dive. My brain was in a complete fog, due to a certain physical ailment that you don't want discussed, JR, and it's amazing that this was really the only brain fart i had all evening. My partner and I managed both coaches, a really noisy crowd and a really close game and did it really well. Maybe I should work more when I'm sick!
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sugar Plums

Jurassic Referee:

A few days ago, in Berlin, Connecticut, a fossil footprint was discovered in Hungerford Park. According to the newspaper, the fossil footprint was from the Jurassic Period. It was from a biped creature that stood about six feet tall. It must be yours. I guess that they played basketball way before Dr. Naismith.

I too, was curious about sugar plums, so I looked it up:
A sugar plum is a piece of candy that is made of sugar and shaped in a small round or oval shape. Sugar plums are widely associated with Christmas, through cultural phenomena such as the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker, as well as the line "Visions of sugar plums danced in their heads," from "A Visit from St. Nicholas," better known as "Twas the Night Before Christmas."
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 02:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I am trail, A1 inbounding near the division line by the table. A2 come streaking near the sideline, toward the backcourt, very closely guarded by B2. As they get close to us two things happened simultaneously: A1 passed the ball in, and A2's feet and B2's feet got tangled. The ball hit the inbound players bounced away and hit coach B oob, just as A2 and B2 hit the deck. I wwhistled immediately, keeping my hand in the air (flat), and watching to see that the now prone players were okay. Ball was bouncing peacefully inbounds.

I knew something had to be called, but I had no idea what. There was clearly no foul (although A coach didn't see it that way), but I wasn't sure what to do. So I went to my partner and said, qhietly, "Hey, bail me out here, what do I do?" He did. He said, "B tapped the ball oob, give it to A." Coach A wanted a foul, but was at least relieved that he got the ball back. Coach B didn't say a word.

It just felt funny to stop play with the ball bouncing, unattended, inbounds.
Obviously a T on A2 for removing his shirt in the visual confines...
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Obviously a T on A2 for removing his shirt in the visual confines...
How do you know it was a "his"?