The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Hello,

Runner on second, pitcher in the stretch. F4 feints to second as if a pick-off is on, but drops back to position when R2 shortens his lead. The pitcher, seeing F4's break for second, jump turns to pick - but half way in his jump realizes F4 has returned to position. The pitcher, already committed to throwing, manages to throw to F4 at his normal position 15-20 feet away from second base, so as not to throw it to centerfield.

Umpire calls a balk because the pitcher did not pick off to a base. Is this right?

Thanks,
Jason
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 07:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Blakely
Hello,

Runner on second, pitcher in the stretch. F4 feints to second as if a pick-off is on, but drops back to position when R2 shortens his lead. The pitcher, seeing F4's break for second, jump turns to pick - but half way in his jump realizes F4 has returned to position. The pitcher, already committed to throwing, manages to throw to F4 at his normal position 15-20 feet away from second base, so as not to throw it to centerfield.

Umpire calls a balk because the pitcher did not pick off to a base. Is this right?

Thanks,
Jason
No, unless the base in question is FIRST base.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Strange missed balk call

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Blakely
Hello,

Thanks,
Jason
The umpire missed this one. There is no where that the rules say he must throw the ball to the base.

As Rich said, first base is different.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
could be the right call

an arguement could be made that this is a balk b/c OBR 8.05c. F1 failed to step directly towards the base. He threw to F4. F4 is not at 2nd Base.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: could be the right call

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
an arguement could be made that this is a balk b/c OBR 8.05c. F1 failed to step directly towards the base. He threw to F4. F4 is not at 2nd Base.
You could make that arguement, but it's not the "correct" interpretation.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Have yet to see a "base" that can catch a throw.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ecurebel
I had something similar in an AAU 10u game. where they play federation rules with slight modification for these ages.

Righthanded F1 has toed the rubber in the stretch, with out stepping or anything he faints a throw to third without the ball in his throwing hand (it is in his glove) plate guy calls a balk stating that he deliberately decieved the runner by the fainted attempt. is this correct? or was he reading too much into the deception?
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
QUOTE: "Righthanded F1 has toed the rubber in the stretch, with out stepping or anything he faints a throw to third without the ball in his throwing hand (it is in his glove) plate guy calls a balk stating that he deliberately decieved the runner by the fainted attempt. is this correct?"

----

yes

----
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---
what is the correct interpretation? Source, please.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

---
That since F1 is not required to throw at all, it doesn't matter that he doesn't throw to the base.

One or more of NAPBL, JEA, J/R, ML Umpires manual contains this.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

---
That since F1 is not required to throw at all, it doesn't matter that he doesn't throw to the base.

One or more of NAPBL, JEA, J/R, ML Umpires manual contains this.
6.5(l) in PBUC Manual - "there is no violation if a pitcher attempts a pick off at second base and seeing no fielder covering the bag, throws to the shortstop or second baseman, neither of whom is in the vicinity of the bag nor is making an attempt to retire the runner".
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up thanks

thanks for the info guys. You have helped me settle an argument in my association. I have said that this is not a balk b/c F1 is not required to throw.

I don't have any of the J/R, PBUC, etc. manuals. Do you have a suggestion of which is a must have and where can I purchase it? It is obvious from this board that these are must have items.

Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: thanks

Quote:
thanks for the info guys. You have helped me settle an argument in my association. I have said that this is not a balk b/c F1 is not required to throw.

I don't have any of the J/R, PBUC, etc. manuals. Do you have a suggestion of which is a must have and where can I purchase it? It is obvious from this board that these are must have items.
Baseball Rules Difference (BRD 2004), available on the main page of this site, is essential reading. PBUC Manual, IMO, is optional (but interesting) reading. You can call to order, go to http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com. There is also a good booklet on 2 man mechanics that you can order. I have heard about J/R but I have been buying BRD about every 2 years since I found out it existed and I ain't looking for 2 books in the bush.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:

Baseball Rules Difference (BRD 2004), available on the main page of this site, is essential reading. PBUC Manual, IMO, is optional (but interesting) reading.
Since the PBUC is official and the BRD is not, I would reverse that order.

Anyone working OBR games should have the PBUC manual. Anyone working multiple rules would be helped by owning the BRD.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Re: thanks

You can buy either the PBUC Umpire Manual or the PBUC Manual for the Two Umpire System at Plus POS

Quote:

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: thanks

Quote:
Baseball Rules Difference (BRD 2004), available on the main page of this site... [/B]
I'd like to get this, but I don't see it on the main page -- if someone can show me the way...

Thanks!