Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

fine i wont call you or anyone else here a blarge ever again
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

There is no blarge. But we do it to ourselves as officials. Last week, I had a boys varsity game. I was the U1. The R for the pre-game talked about the blarge. He said if we have it, we will sell it and call it as a blarge. I said that if we have a blarge then it will either be a block or a charge. He said he had it in a game the other day. He said both coaches were mad, but that is just the way it is.

I said we are going to have a block or charge not a blarge. Guess what in the game we had this game situation. The ball was in my primary as C, I called the charge against the Visiting team. The T was going to call a block. I took the call. IT WAS CLEARLY A CHARGE. The visiting coach begged for a block and proceeded to say it was a "blarge". I told him not to go there. I saw the play and it was clearly a charge.

At half time the offical who was at the T wanted to know why we didn't call a blarge. I re-iterated that there is no blarge. I told him if the ball was in his primary I would have backed off and let him call the block. BUT REMAIN IN PRIMARY UNLESS YOU ARE 200% SURE YOUR PARTNER KICKED IT!!!

He said that he had been taught that a blarge was okay. I told him it was a bail out call. The R said that I should never say that. Sometimes you can't avoid the blarge. Then I told him that is why pre-game is so important!!!

These blarges and other things (e.g., coach's box, calling the travel before A1 creams B2 after A1 gains control of the ball and turns and hits B2) we call or don't call, we bring upon ourselves. When you have the officials calling it correctly, you look like the odd ball.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 06:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
There is no blarge.
Are you saying that case book play 4.19.8SitC doesn't exist? Or that it should never be followed? Even if both officials have already made conflicting signals?

Please explain what you're getting at. I'm not quite sure.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 06:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
What an insightful and informative comment. Your wisdom and personal maturity come from where, pray tell?

why can't you just agree with me all the time, like you agreed in another thread? )
Juulie, do you discuss play situations with the chihuahua that lives down the street?

Think about it. Then just ignore.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
There is no blarge. But we do it to ourselves as officials. Last week, I had a boys varsity game. I was the U1. The R for the pre-game talked about the blarge. He said if we have it, we will sell it and call it as a blarge. I said that if we have a blarge then it will either be a block or a charge. He said he had it in a game the other day. He said both coaches were mad, but that is just the way it is.

I said we are going to have a block or charge not a blarge. Guess what in the game we had this game situation. The ball was in my primary as C, I called the charge against the Visiting team. The T was going to call a block. I took the call. IT WAS CLEARLY A CHARGE. The visiting coach begged for a block and proceeded to say it was a "blarge". I told him not to go there. I saw the play and it was clearly a charge.

At half time the offical who was at the T wanted to know why we didn't call a blarge. I re-iterated that there is no blarge. I told him if the ball was in his primary I would have backed off and let him call the block. BUT REMAIN IN PRIMARY UNLESS YOU ARE 200% SURE YOUR PARTNER KICKED IT!!!

He said that he had been taught that a blarge was okay. I told him it was a bail out call. The R said that I should never say that. Sometimes you can't avoid the blarge. Then I told him that is why pre-game is so important!!!

These blarges and other things (e.g., coach's box, calling the travel before A1 creams B2 after A1 gains control of the ball and turns and hits B2) we call or don't call, we bring upon ourselves. When you have the officials calling it correctly, you look like the odd ball.

If this was an NFHS game, then I'm 100% sure that YOU kicked it.

On the play you describe, once the Trail signaled a block and you signaled a charge, you need to correctly apply the rules as written in 4.19.8SitC.
The visiting coach had every right to insist that a blocking foul was also reported on the play.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 10:25pm
Esteemed Participant

If I am working an NFHS game or an NCAA-M game, then we as a crew will report both fouls and go with the POI...if I am woking an NCAA-W game, we will decide which one to go with...the guy from the other forum can feel however he wants to about the NFHS way of handling it, but to make up his own way or handle it like iref4him did is to unfairly penalize one team/coach...you can't do that under those rulesets!

Having said that, I think those who have been on this board long enough know my personal feelings about the blarge and the way it is handled under the different rulesets. But, when in Rome...
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 10:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
If this was an NFHS game, then I'm 100% sure that YOU kicked it.

On the play you describe, once the Trail signaled a block and you signaled a charge, you need to correctly apply the rules as written in 4.19.8SitC.
The visiting coach had every right to insist that a blocking foul was also reported on the play.
That's my point: I don't NEED to do anything.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 10:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I understand his views and believe that logically he has a point. However, once both officials signal, the proper rules must be followed. In that regard both Joe and Rich are totally wrong. What they advocate doing is directly contrary to this year's POE #5. It was written for people who have just those views.
I have never understood why this is a special situation.

If my partner signals a held ball and I have a fist up for a foul, we don't apply both. If I call a travel and my partner has a foul, we don't call both.

Like I said, 20 years without this happening and the closest I got was earlier this season, although my grandmother could've made the charge call and she died 20 years ago.

I would like to think I could sidestep the rule book and do what I posted earlier, but I'm cursed with a pretty good knowledge of the book and a history of enforcing it even when it wasn't the easy or popular thing to do.

Last edited by Rich; Thu Jan 25, 2007 at 10:54pm.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I retract my earlier statement -- I now 100% agree with rain on all future and current threads...
Do you two have an announcement you'd like to make?
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I agree with him, but perhaps with a bit better use of paragraphs and maybe a little less repetition.

If I were ever to end up in a blarge situation, we certainly wouldn't come out with a double foul. I'd pretend I was working an NCAA-W game, if only for a moment.

But knock wood, it hasn't happened in 20 years, although earlier this year my partner and I both called a charge simultaneously by pointing down the floor.

Rich:

I agree with you 100%. I have argued this point for years. The rules as written prohibit blarges. Either it is a block or it is a charge, not both.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:23pm
Huck Finn

I took the question as if I know the rule and what my opinion would be despite the rule. That is how I will answer it regardless.
Take some game awareness, scoop out some ego (throw it away) and add a pinch of calling in your own area and there would be no such thing as a blarge. You take that out of the rule book or make it optional and it would never happen in one of my games. It is a cop out rule IMO, but I follow what is in the book. Hey, we can't agree with everything; we just have to apply the rules.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:24pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Rich:

I agree with you 100%. I have argued this point for years. The rules as written prohibit blarges. Either it is a block or it is a charge, not both.

MTD, Sr.
Hey, where did this guy come from?
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
Call the "Blarge" and move on.

so what do we have for the signal? one hand behind ur head indicating charge, one fist moving down towards your hip indicating block, and one leg pointing the direction we are goin?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Stupid discussion. You might as well argue that there's no such thing as a jump stop.

As Rocky said each rule set has their own way of handling this sitch. The one and only time I was involved in a blarge (ncaa-m game) we got together, I said "you had a what??" he said "you had a what??" and we penalized both fouls. Both coaches were fine with it..."heh...yeah, all right...that's fine..." and they both asked who gets the ball. No biggie. Life went on.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Rich:

MTD, Sr.
I'm a hockey fan. The one call that infuriates me is a hook/hold on one player and a unsportsmanlike dive on the other. If he had to dive to go down, why penalize the hook/hold?