The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

i dont see what the big deal is -- middle school game -- site admin went to see what the deal was -- coach told her you said he was rude -- all you need to say to her is what he said and how you took it and I think that would have been that.

i dont see the need for the dramatics of being undermined -- do you know what she said? -- I mean please its a MIDDLE SCHOOL GAME -- i have read many posts over the last week about such games - please temper your expectations of these games and stop holding them to the same standards as varsity, let alone High school. That expectation is just not realistic and will only get you pis$ed off and frustrated.

I have worked maybe 4-6 middle school league games in my life -- NEVER AGAIN. Rita honestly what is going to happen after you shoot off this letter? I dont see what the AD did that was bad except say that the coach said you told him he was being rude. I am sorry but this fiasco is all on you -- IMO I dont think the AD undermined you in fact in MS games if a coach was a pain in the azz it would be great to have the AD tell him/her to shut the @#$ up. I think that is a lot more poignant than a T -- its much more embarassing as well and you didnt have to do anything to relax the guy/gal. just my opinion -- to me its just MS which like I have said before, in relation to the basketball universe, is barely a blip on my radar.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps, Rita, you could have addressed the site administrator earlier, and mentioned the incompetance of the table as something she should address, rather than trying to move forward. This might have prevented the later confrontation with the site administrator, while possibly improving the game.

Another possibility might be to proactively notify the coaches that they might be having table problems and ask them to be patient with them.

I don't mean this as any kind of criticism, Rita, just brain-storming in case others run into this type of problem.

Game management has a responsibility to ensure that the table personnel are competant. We have a conflict between three people due to not addressing the inexperience of the scorebord operator.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I am sorry but this fiasco is all on you -- IMO I dont think the AD undermined you in fact in MS games if a coach was a pain in the azz it would be great to have the AD tell him/her to shut the @#$ up. I think that is a lot more poignant than a T -- its much more embarassing as well and you didnt have to do anything to relax the guy/gal. just my opinion -- to me its just MS which like I have said before, in relation to the basketball universe, is barely a blip on my radar.
That's bullsh!t. Game admin, whether it be AAU, MS, HS, JuCo, or whatever has no busy in handling the coaches for me during the game. The only time I need game admin to help me with a coach is if I eject the coach and the coach won't leave the confines of the gym.

And who gives a f**k whether it's a blip on YOUR radar or not. This is Rita's paycheck and Rita's game. Just b/c the game is not important doesn't mean we have to let a$$-holes ruin the experience.

Let me ask you this deecee, when you become a big time NBA/SEC/PAC-10 official, what is your advice going to be to someone who looks up to you? You know, someone from your hometown, who is just starting out and all the games they get at the moment are MS games. Are you going to tell them "Don't come to me for advice b/c the games you are working right now aren't important."?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
i dont see the need for the dramatics of being undermined -- do you know what she said? -- I mean please its a MIDDLE SCHOOL GAME -- i have read many posts over the last week about such games - please temper your expectations of these games and stop holding them to the same standards as varsity, let alone High school. That expectation is just not realistic and will only get you pis$ed off and frustrated.
Iow, as far as you're concerned, sportsmanship doesn't apply in middle school games, only at higher levels. Interesting philosophy.......and a stoopid one imo.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think that the site admin's actions in this particular case were worthy of action. If it doesn't directly affect the game, I'm not fussing over anyone who talks to any coach unless the coach complains to me about it.

That being said, it is clear that this particular admin has a behavior of inappropriate behavior. Viewed through the prism of past actions, this becomes more troublesome. Personally, I guess that your relationship outside of basketball colored her reaction to you. That and her appearent lust for power.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

all i said was that i didnt see what was undermining about what happened. what does this have to do with sportmanship.

from what i read all the ad said was that the coach said rita called him [coach] rude. if he said that to her and she said well i will talk with you or well you are out of line then yes i agree she is an azz -- but from what I read you butted into something maybe you shouldnt have. what if she was asking him if he was thirsty and wanted water?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 03:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
what if she was asking him if he was thirsty and wanted water?
In the middle of a game right after the official has warned the coach about his demeanor/behavior? Yeah right.

That's what game administrators do in your games?
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
all i said was that i didnt see what was undermining about what happened. what does this have to do with sportmanship.

from what i read all the ad said was that the coach said rita called him [coach] rude. if he said that to her and she said well i will talk with you or well you are out of line then yes i agree she is an azz -- but from what I read you butted into something maybe you shouldnt have. what if she was asking him if he was thirsty and wanted water?
First of all, I'm not sure this was a school game and I'm not sure the site admin was the AD of the school. Second, the site admin, or AD, doesn't need to "keep the visiting coach" happy. She needs to see to it that the game is run in a suitable fashion. If she was so concerned about keeping the visiting coach happy she should have been addressing the table issues. It's clear that she was trying to undercut the ref, and furthermore, that it was personal to this particular ref. That person has no business being a site admin or AD.

Furthermore, Rita did handle it in a manner that kept the coach under control. Thus, the site admin had no business butting in. It wasn't Rita that did the butting. If the coach had gone to the site admin to complain, that would be different, but surely the site admin had better things to worry about than whether the visiting coach got his widdwe feewings huwt.

And of course he wasn't asking about water. Site admin said what the subject was, in so many words. Finally, what did Rita say, "in front of everyone" that was so humiliating to the site admin? I still dont get this. It's clearly not Rita that's got the problem here.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
That's bullsh!t. Game admin, whether it be AAU, MS, HS, JuCo, or whatever has no busy in handling the coaches for me during the game. The only time I need game admin to help me with a coach is if I eject the coach and the coach won't leave the confines of the gym.

And who gives a f**k whether it's a blip on YOUR radar or not. This is Rita's paycheck and Rita's game. Just b/c the game is not important doesn't mean we have to let a$$-holes ruin the experience.

Let me ask you this deecee, when you become a big time NBA/SEC/PAC-10 official, what is your advice going to be to someone who looks up to you? You know, someone from your hometown, who is just starting out and all the games they get at the moment are MS games. Are you going to tell them "Don't come to me for advice b/c the games you are working right now aren't important."?
Im with you on this one badnews... I do a lot of middle school games right now, and I feel these games are more important than HS and MS games. You develop players in Middle School, and teach them the finer aspects of the game. Middle School games are great to get experience in officiating, because the games are competitive, but not near the level of JV/V games.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf

I don't mean this as any kind of criticism, Rita, just brain-storming in case others run into this type of problem.

That's the point of sharing.

Rita
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rita, Jr. High ball can be a lot of fun, but most of the time it is a royal pain. There is no glory in it. Now...
1. The Sight person said her job was "to make sure the visiting coaches are happy?" Wrong.
2. She was too chummy with V coach who tattled on the mean old ref for saying something to him that wasn't nice.
3. She should not have come into the locker room and she should not have yelled at you. Very unprofessional.
4. I might get nailed for this but I'm pretty sure if you didn't work together and if you were a man this situation would never have happened. Familiarity breeds contempt!" She might feel the need to one up you because you two work together.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33
I do a lot of middle school games right now, and I feel these games are more important than MS games.
Must be the new math.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
i dont see what the big deal is -- middle school game -- site admin went to see what the deal was -- coach told her you said he was rude -- all you need to say to her is what he said and how you took it and I think that would have been that.

I have worked maybe 4-6 middle school league games in my life -- NEVER AGAIN. Rita honestly what is going to happen after you shoot off this letter? I dont see what the AD did that was bad except say that the coach said you told him he was being rude. I am sorry but this fiasco is all on you -- IMO I dont think the AD undermined you in fact in MS games if a coach was a pain in the azz it would be great to have the AD tell him/her to shut the @#$ up. I think that is a lot more poignant than a T -- its much more embarassing as well and you didnt have to do anything to relax the guy/gal. just my opinion -- to me its just MS which like I have said before, in relation to the basketball universe, is barely a blip on my radar.
deecee, just when I think you're starting to get it, you spout off with something dumb.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Must be the new math.

haha my bad... i meant HS games
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:54pm
Huck Finn

1. "I reminded him that we weren’t getting the usual horn to remind us that subs were available..." This is not an excuse to miss subs.

2. “You are allowed to ask a question or make a statement but it must be in a polite manner. This did not qualify.” I don't understand why officials don't see that some things they say are not going to make the situation better. If a coach doesn't something worthy, give him/her a T. It is as simple as that. Remember, silence cannot be quoted.

3. The site administrator shouldn't have been yelling or screaming at you in the dressing room.

4. No matter what anyone might say, these games are very important to someone and should be treated as such.

5. It was wrong for admin to talk to a coach like this during the game. You could really be a jerk by stopping the game and going over to see what the conversation is about.

Just a few opinions from good old Tom. Heck, I would have been flinging stop signs around like a traffic cop.