The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 872
Angry Site administrater interference

Tonight [Partner] and I officiated games between [Visitors] and [Home] middle schools. The site administrator was __________.

The keeper of the official book was inexperienced so the clock was helping him. There were times we, the officials, missed that subs were due to come in or were slow in bringing them in. At one point the coach for the [Visitors] team said, “Are you going to be bringing in the subs or not?” I am not certain those were his exact words but the tone was unsportsmanlike. I brought in the sub and told him, “You are allowed to ask a question or make a statement but it must be in a polite manner. This did not qualify.” At the next opportunity, he asked me about the situation again, in a respectful manner. I explained that we were slow in bringing in the subs and apologized. I reminded him that we weren’t getting the usual horn to remind us that subs were available because of the inexperience of the people at the table and that we all had to be patient with inexperience at this level. I assured him that we would try to be more expeditious. I then returned to the game. At the first opportunity I shared his concerns with my partner. I felt that I had handled the situation adequately.

Shortly thereafter I saw [site administrator] at the bench talking to the coach. I could see no reason for her doing so at that point. When I had the opportunity I asked her to talk to me after the game. (I know her from work.)

After the game I talked with her as I was returning to the coaches’ room. I asked her what she was talking to the coach about. She said she had asked him if there was a problem and that he had said that I had said that he had been rude.

I said, “[site administrator], you can’t be doing that during the game. You undermine the referees.” She stepped back in horror and said, “I don’t know who you think you are but my job is to make sure that the visiting coaches are happy. You can’t tell me what to do!” I told her that I would then have to report this to the association. She told me to go ahead, that both she and the visiting coach would be reporting my behavior to [vice principal]. As I was talking to her, the visiting coach came up to listen in.

I went to the coaches’ room to change my shoes so that I could leave. As I left the floor, [site administrator] and the coach continued commiserating about my behavior. I asked [partner] to stay with me because I expected what happened next. [site administrator] came into the room (I was in the back room.) and started screaming at me. “Don’t you dare do that again! Don’t you dare talk to me like that in front of everyone! If you have something to say to me, you can have me come back here and talk to me.” I reminded her that she had essentially undermined me and asked her to leave. She remained and continued screaming at me.

The rulebook specifies that the referees have jurisdiction within or outside the boundary lines. It is my understanding that the site administrators are those people to whom we turn when we have issues with the facility or the crowd. The game is our jurisdiction and she had no place talking with the coach during the game. She could easily and nearly did, exasperate the situation. I would appreciate if the association would send a letter to the school defining the site administrator’s responsibilities. This is the third time she has inserted herself into one of the games I have officiated in an inappropriate manner.

It is especially distressing that she should follow me into the dressing area. She had me cornered there. This is to be our retreat. Her job is to protect us from this type of behavior. Quite honestly, I feel she owes both [partner] and I an apology for her behavior.


That's my report. I'm just furious. I want to hit something.

Rita
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Reporting this is definitely the right thing to do. Why is the site admin so chummy with the V coach? I mean, I know it's their job to work with the coaches, but I wouldn't think anyone could possibly infer from that that she should be interfering with your job! Especially since you handled the situation and got the game going.

Tomorrow or the next day, talk to your assignor about the sitch. Figure out how you might handle this next time to get your point across without the situation exploding. I'm not saying that to blame you for what happened! But if something like this does come up again, you'll come out feeling better if you can have some control of the outcome. It sounds like she's got some attitude, and if you can keep her at arm's length, you'll come out ahead.

You know her from work? You'll be seeing her tomorrow? Yikes!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,612
Good vent...feel better?

Sounds like a difficult situation. I've never been faced with a game admin interfering in such a way. But you're correct. She has no business going to the visiting coach during the game. And you are definitely right to report her behavior, especially coming into your dressing room, to your supervisor and the state association. I kind of wonder if she has some type of acquaintance or relationship with the visiting coach.

Don't hit anything. Just relax, flip the remote and get your mind off it before hitting the hay. After all, tomorrow's another day!
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 423
I don't know what level of game this is, or what type of site this is, but I think that there are times when we as officials shouldn't read into things and should choose our battles wisely. The best advice is what is always said on this board, get in, get done and get out. I don't know if you should necessarily have sent a report in to the assignor either, as now you are bringing more people into a situation that really is between you and the site administrator.

In terms of the actual conflict, I really don't think that it's any of your business if the site administrator wants to have a word with the visiting coach, particularly if it's not affecting the game. I know it's unpleasant, but really, in the scheme of things, it's minor. As soon as she tried to defend herself, just let her have the last word and walk away. Then, if you're uncomfortable, just request not to work at that site anymore. I think that sending this report in makes you look bad, particularly if this site administrator is established, and can get you a reputation within your group as someone who causes problems, a label that is hard to shake, and one that can severely restrict your advancement and schedule. I've heard many assignors say that the best officials that they have are the ones who work games and the assignor does not get a phone call.

In terms of the original situation with the subs, I'd probably say something to him like, "We're doing our best here, please help us by making sure your players go all the way to the X so we can see them better." Something like that to put the onus on the coach and let him know you're trying to help him out, try not to be standoffish. Just my opinion, but if you haven't sent the letter, I'd reconsider sending it.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Why is the site admin so chummy with the V coach?
Looks like Juules and I are thinking the same thing.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
I don't see why the site admin's conversation with the visiting coach is any of your business. Unless it's directly affecting the game in some way, why should you care what they are talking about? Pretty much everybody in the building will have some gripe or another about us by the end of the game, why go looking for trouble by asking about it?

Now following you into the changing room and going off at you, that's a serious problem and needs to be reported.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I don't see why the site admin's conversation with the visiting coach is any of your business. Unless it's directly affecting the game in some way, why should you care what they are talking about? Pretty much everybody in the building will have some gripe or another about us by the end of the game, why go looking for trouble by asking about it?

Now following you into the changing room and going off at you, that's a serious problem and needs to be reported.
I do agree that going into the changing room after the game should be reported, but I also think that it should have gotten to that point. Let the site admin have the last word and then get away.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:54am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Rita, looks like you did a good job maintaining your cool. Also, it looks like she has a history of this kind of behavior in your games; I'd be inclined to refuse to work games at that location any longer. It looks like she has an inflated opinion of her responsibilities.
Middle school games can be rough because players aren't capable of playing.
Middle school games can be rough because coaches want to officiate.
Middle school games can be rough because partners may or may not be experienced.
Middle school games aren't worth it if the site administrater thinks she can micromanage the officiating during the game.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:22am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C At one point the coach for the [Visitors
team said, “Are you going to be bringing in the subs or not?” I am not certain those were his exact words but the tone was unsportsmanlike. I brought in the sub and told him, “You are allowed to ask a question or make a statement but it must be in a polite manner. This did not qualify.” Rita
Rita...Why would you say that (boldface above)? Even if you were trying to lighten the moment or just defuse the situation (and I don't know that you were, just guessing), why would you even give the appearance of lecturing a coach? Now he's the victim, the offended party...just ask him, he'll tell you (or site admin as the case may be). IMO, this exchange set the whole ugly, unfortunate subsequent chain-of-events into motion. I want to appear as in control and emotionally detached as possible, not confrontational.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 09:00am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,536
I see a lot of criticism of Rita here. So I guess those of you who are criticizing are in the habit of allowing folks who are outside the jurisdiction of the game to just mingle on the bench anytime they please.

If there was a game management issue that needed to be addressed during the game then the site administrator should have called both coaches and the 'R' together to pass along the pertinent information. Otherwise she should have sat her intruding a$$ over behind the scorer's table and minded her own business.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 09:12am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
Rita...Why would you say that (boldface above)? Even if you were trying to lighten the moment or just defuse the situation (and I don't know that you were, just guessing), why would you even give the appearance of lecturing a coach? Now he's the victim, the offended party...just ask him, he'll tell you (or site admin as the case may be). IMO, this exchange set the whole ugly, unfortunate subsequent chain-of-events into motion. I want to appear as in control and emotionally detached as possible, not confrontational.
Looks to me like her comment to the coach worked just fine; if it weren't for the intrusion by game management. If the coach is acting like an azz, sometimes he needs to be reminded to treat the ref like an adult rather than a player.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
In terms of the actual conflict, I really don't think that it's any of your business if the site administrator wants to have a word with the visiting coach, particularly if it's not affecting the game. I know it's unpleasant, but really, in the scheme of things, it's minor. As soon as she tried to defend herself, just let her have the last word and walk away. Then, if you're uncomfortable, just request not to work at that site anymore. I think that sending this report in makes you look bad, particularly if this site administrator is established, and can get you a reputation within your group as someone who causes problems, a label that is hard to shake, and one that can severely restrict your advancement and schedule. I've heard many assignors say that the best officials that they have are the ones who work games and the assignor does not get a phone call.
No, the report needs to be sent. This is the third time she has interfered in some manner at one of my games. One time she chastised me for calling too many fouls because she wanted to get home. (I let that go considering it a bad joke.) More recently, there was a dispute between the coaches on the nonstarter quarter. (One coach was accusing the other of putting in a ringer.) She came out on the floor to talk to the refs to try to get us involved. (This is a matter the coaches are supposed to report to their respective DAs.

I walked away from her when she started having the conniption out on the floor. Then she came in to the dressing area and continued.

Even if I don't work that location anymore, (there is no concern about advancement in our association) she needs to learn her role. Her "involvment" has been escalating in my games. I don't know that it is't in others. The parameters need to be set. I had things settled down with the coach. I don't want it happening to me again, or worse, a less experienced official which is most of what we have in our association.

Rita
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
No, the report needs to be sent. This is the third time she has interfered in some manner at one of my games. One time she chastised me for calling too many fouls because she wanted to get home. (I let that go considering it a bad joke.) More recently, there was a dispute between the coaches on the nonstarter quarter. (One coach was accusing the other of putting in a ringer.) She came out on the floor to talk to the refs to try to get us involved. (This is a matter the coaches are supposed to report to their respective DAs.

I walked away from her when she started having the conniption out on the floor. Then she came in to the dressing area and continued.

Even if I don't work that location anymore, (there is no concern about advancement in our association) she needs to learn her role. Her "involvment" has been escalating in my games. I don't know that it is't in others. The parameters need to be set. I had things settled down with the coach. I don't want it happening to me again, or worse, a less experienced official which is most of what we have in our association.

Rita

She sounds like a real head case. You're right to report this, and I certainly hope that the "powers that be" will find a way to get at the problem. Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know your relationship with her at work, and how that goes. I'm also wondering what type of ball this is. Rec? School? Local Hoop club? If she's a school employee, she needs to be brought to the attention of whoever is her boss. If you don't want to discuss this on the baord, I'm not averse to a little PM gossip!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Middle school games can be rough because players aren't capable of playing.
Middle school games can be rough because coaches want to officiate.
Middle school games can be rough because partners may or may not be experienced.
Middle school games aren't worth it if the site administrater thinks she can micromanage the officiating during the game.
You forgot the rude & obnoxious parents that are firmly convinced that little Jimmy is the next Michael Jordan.....

In other words, middle school games, particularly boys, have the greatest potential for going downhill fast than any other level.

The coach's comments in question needed to be addressed, and we all develop our own ways of doing that. Some things will work for one official and not another - it's not just what you say, but how you say it. On top of that, individual coaches will respond differently to the same technique.....(sheesh, now we've got to be amateur psychologists! Where's Dr. Phil when we need him..)

It appears that Rita's initial comments to the coach settled things down, and that's the goal. The admin's subsequent conversation with the coach only fanned the dying embers. Confronting the admin about the conversation certainly didn't help any, but give the description of her previous behavior, I doubt if it made it a whole lot worse. Isn't 20/20 hindsight is a wunnerful thing?

It appears to me that this particular administrator needs to spend a little more time focusing on her responsibilities (i.e.; providing competent table personnel) and less schmoozing with the coaches. Her post game actions were way off base and do need to be reported.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
Rita...Why would you say that (boldface above)? Even if you were trying to lighten the moment or just defuse the situation (and I don't know that you were, just guessing), why would you even give the appearance of lecturing a coach? Now he's the victim, the offended party...just ask him, he'll tell you (or site admin as the case may be). IMO, this exchange set the whole ugly, unfortunate subsequent chain-of-events into motion. I want to appear as in control and emotionally detached as possible, not confrontational.
This situation had to be diffused. Everybody has their own thing they say. The remark has nothing to do with the administrator's intrusion into the game.

IOW, get off her azz. If you're going post, stay focused on the topic: the administrator.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From another site: Skahtboi Softball 56 Sat May 21, 2011 06:05am
Anybody know what's up with the NSA site? Leecedar Softball 5 Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:09pm
Need web site FISH Softball 5 Wed May 29, 2002 06:04am
A NEW SITE !!!!! HTPino Volleyball 2 Fri Apr 19, 2002 09:46am
A NEW SITE !!!!! HTPino Football 4 Tue Apr 16, 2002 02:53am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1