The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Team is batting 9 players with the pitcher being listed as pitcher & DH on the lineup card. Pitcher catches a hot shot on the pitching hand in the first inning. Manager replaces pitcher, but says he will still bat as the DH.

I know in most codes, this would not be allowed, but the manager insisted it was legal in NBC. As substitue umpires for that game, me and my partner allowed it, and the opposing manager didn't have a problem with it either.

Was it the right call? I can't find any NBC regulations out there.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 10:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm not sure of the NBC rules, but under NCAA rules this would be legal. The P/DH, under college rules, is treated as two separate spots, even though both are filled by one player (they can be filled by 2 players from the start of the game). A substitute can replace the pitcher OR the DH part in the lineup.

Rich
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Although I dont call NBC ball, it's my understanding the NBC plays by straight OBR guidelines. I know they did many years ago when I played NBC ball.

It sounds as if someone was trying to sneak an NCAA P/DH interpretation into your game.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Lessons

There could be an hour of an ump clinic on that post.

1. AT the plate meeting, getting a lineup card, and you see a spot in the order showing A player as both DH and P? YOu didn't question this? As said, this is NCAA rule, but surely you didn't assume this? If they WERE playing as such or as the coach said later, you would have known this from the beginning.

2. "Other coach didn't care" may take care of this discussion in itself. Suddenly, I don't care about the rule.. if he doesn't care.. then you don't care.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 01:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Problem is, in an NCAA game EVEN IF there's no DH listed, the pitcher is also the DH and is occupying two spots, if only accidentally. He may be the pitcher only on the lineup card, but he can be replaced as either the P, DH, or both.

Rich
Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

BJ, I was the field ump and did not inspect the lineup card.

Rich, I tend to agree with you. NBC uses the OBR book with a few changes. I just didn't know if the NCAA rule you cited was one of them.