The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question Hand Check

I have asked more than one veteran about "hand checks" and have received differant answers. I've heard everything from using the "hot stove" method to letting it go until it becomes a disadvantage to the dribbler.

I have gained much wisdom reading this forum. I would be interested in hearing your comments on hand checking and how you handle it.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

It is a violation.

We use these terms. Its OK for a player to measure the opponent, measure implies checking distance.

Any hand check that "steers" or controls other players movement is over the line.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Put in on, take it off, no Foul. Put it on, leave it on, Foul.

Put it on and move the player in an alternate direction OR keep the player from moving in an alternate direction, Foul.

My key is that all contact is not a foul, so find the advantage if one exists the call it appropriately. Also, if you are going to call it, CALL IT from the START of the game to the END of the game. Don't pick and choose your times. Just my take.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
We use these terms. Its OK for a player to measure the opponent, measure implies checking distance.
I don't get this. There's no need to "measure up." These players aren't blind, they can see how close the offense is.
Not that I call this a foul, there's no advantage if they take it right off. But I don't get the thinking about allowing them to "measure up" defensively.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin

Put it on and move the player in an alternate direction OR keep the player from moving in an alternate direction, Foul.

My key is that all contact is not a foul, so find the advantage if one exists the call it appropriately. Also, if you are going to call it, CALL IT from the START of the game to the END of the game. Don't pick and choose your times. Just my take.
What he said. Exactly.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 01:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking If you do not know, you are too old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Let it rain...clear it up.....let it rain.....clear it up.

Chicken noodle soup......with soda on the side.....chicken noodle soup....with soda on the side.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 03:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I don't get this. There's no need to "measure up." These players aren't blind, they can see how close the offense is.
The FED has mentioned numerous times in POE's that "tagging" or "measuring up" by a defender should be called a foul every time. In real life......

From the 2002-03 rulebook:
POE #4A: "The measuring up of an opponent(tagging) is hand-checking, is not permitted, and is a FOUL." The word "FOUL" was emphasized in capital letters in the POE.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:19am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm not going to speak on how and when it should be called. I'll just say, that in my experiences, failure to call hand-checks is the most complained about "missed foul" I hear most from supervisors and camp observers.

So, if you are trying to get a feel for how to call it, then listen to how your supervisor says he/she wants it called and watch officials you respect to get a sense and feel of how they call handchecks.

When in doubt I tend to lean towards making the call and doing it early in the game. The players adjust when they see that you are going to make that call consistently.

My ugliest game of this season was a private school (not much talent) X-mas tourny game where I let too much hand-checking and bodying up occur when one team began pressing in the 3rd quarter. The whole game went in the crapper from that point on. I still kick myself for that game.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Let it rain...clear it up.....let it rain.....clear it up.

Chicken noodle soup......with soda on the side.....chicken noodle soup....with soda on the side.

Peace
Ah, yes, the MTV generation! DJ Webstar!

Last edited by mplagrow; Sat Jan 20, 2007 at 11:40am.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:16pm

To add to this discussion. Hand checking is a defensive tactic taught by the coaches. It's a double edge sword for the coaches used entirely to their benefit. If this tactic is used against their player, and they are behind in the game, they complain to the high heavons and the reason they complain so loudly is because, since they teach it, they recognize it often before we the officials do. Again, this is being taught and what's being taught is how to do it in such a way where it's hard for the officials to see it. Believe me when I say it takes a trained eye to spot it.

If you really want to get a good look at how disadvangate this tactic is. You must watch, floor level or referee college men's games. You will get a good feel for it then. Where I think we must get involved as officials is when it doesn't stop because it is happening constantly during the game and none of us is going to call everyone we see. The way I like to approach this is verbally. HANDS! HANDS!! Now if I have to say it a 3rd time, beep, hand check! However, you can not always handle it this way either. There are certain situations where I blast it immedately and the one that sticks out the most, is when I'm in the C position and the ball is in front of me closest to the baseline and the Lead hasn't rotated over yet. Player head fakes a shot and attempts to drive the baseline for a layup. Defender, goes for the fake and is now a step behind the move, puts that hand on the dribbler and it slows the dribbler down so they can catch up. This is too big of an advangate to the defense. I call this right away. No verbal warning.

Beep! Hand Check! Baseline out!
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Ah, yes, the MTV generation! DJ Webstar!
MTV plays videos?

Peace
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:44pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Defender, goes for the fake and is now a step behind the move, puts that hand on the dribbler and it slows the dribbler down so they can catch up. This is too big of an advangate to the defense. I call this right away. No verbal warning.

Beep! Hand Check! Baseline out!
What you're describing is a hold, not a handcheck. FWIW, the FED is pretty clear that handchecking (tagging, measuring, whatever) is ALWAYS a foul in HS. All the discussion on this thread of what is permissible is in contrast to the Fed's points of emphasis. I'm surprised at the number of respondents here who claim to let it occur without calling it.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sat Jan 20, 2007 at 12:47pm.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Not that I call this a foul, there's no advantage if they take it right off. But I don't get the thinking about allowing them to "measure up" defensively.
Not advocating or defending it either. "Measure" is just - as the original question asked - my mental instructions while on the court.

Like you I ain't calling the frequent touch's.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 04:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Some Hand Check Guidelines

I originally got this from a Forum member. I may have edited it a little:

Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Two hands on the ball-handler is a foul. Automatic.
One hand that stays on the dribbler is a foul.
Let’s not let a defender ride the dribbler as the ball is coming from backcourt to frontcourt.
Remember SBQ. If the dribbler’s Speed, Balance, or Quickness are affected, we should have a hand-checking foul.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2007, 09:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I originally got this from a Forum member. I may have edited it a little:

Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Two hands on the ball-handler is a foul. Automatic.
One hand that stays on the dribbler is a foul.
Let’s not let a defender ride the dribbler as the ball is coming from backcourt to frontcourt.
Remember SBQ. If the dribbler’s Speed, Balance, or Quickness are affected, we should have a hand-checking foul.
It's RSBQ. You fogot Rythym.