The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I've not called any hand checks this year (10 games). I've not seen many called by my partners, either. So here's my question. What do you look for when calling a hand check? Do you call any contact with the hand? Do you wait until the defenders arm is locked? Would you call hand check if the defender placed his/her hand on the offensive player and then immediately removed it? Or does it have to be on the offensive player for some period of time? Do you warn the player ahead of time before making the call? I've had some refs tell me that they say something like "21, get your hands off!". They do that once or twice then they start calling it.

Bottom line, at what point does it become an advantage gained by the defender?

Thanks!
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I believe a hand check is always and advantage to the defender. That said, I probably don't call it enough.

Mregor
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

If he intentionally places his hand on the player, I call it. But they're quick and I don't get'em all.

If he has a hand on him and the dribbler is driving, I'll give the dribbler an opportunity to complete his move, especially if it appears he might be shooting.

If his hand simply touches him unintentionally in the normal course of offensive and defensive movments, I don't call it. The higher the hand or the longer the touch, the less unintentional to becomes to me.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

You have to differentiate beween the defender and offensive player making contact that is initiated by the offensive player trying to fight around a defender who is well positioned and moving his feet to maintain that position, and an offensive player who is moving and a defender extending a hand to check the dribbler because he isn't keeping up.

Most of the contact on dribblers, in my experience, is the former. Tight quarters with both players moving - this isn't a hand check and isn't a PC foul. It's just contact. You can start to see handchecking when the defenders aren't keeping up with the dribblers, and then BBR is right - it is clearly being done with intent.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

The defender puts 2 hands on the dribbler, automatic hand check.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

If the hand on the offencive player is an advantage to the defender, I've got a hand check. If it's not I've got a no call.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 09:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb My philosophy.

I only call it when it affect the direction and the movement of the dribbler. It is always good to get it early in the game, so if you have to call it later no one can say you had not called it all game long. For me it is not about touching, it is about direction or impeding. If they touch them and the dribbler is not trying to go North and South, that is the best time to call it. If they are going East and West, I will wait and see what happens. If the defender is directing, I will try to wait a second to see what the dribbler might do. Basically have a slow whistle so I can see if he makes a pass for a layup or eventually beats the defender. If the dribbler beats the defender, I might not call anything until he gets ready to shoot the ball. Then I will call a shooting foul, usually they get the message then.

But I always think you have to call it early, because late in the fourth quarter or in the second half, if you have not called it is way too late.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
I've not called any hand checks this year (10 games). I've not seen many called by my partners, either. So here's my question. What do you look for when calling a hand check? Do you call any contact with the hand? Do you wait until the defenders arm is locked? Would you call hand check if the defender placed his/her hand on the offensive player and then immediately removed it? Or does it have to be on the offensive player for some period of time? Do you warn the player ahead of time before making the call? I've had some refs tell me that they say something like "21, get your hands off!". They do that once or twice then they start calling it.

Bottom line, at what point does it become an advantage gained by the defender?

Thanks!
Guys.,

What about one hand on the offensive player's hip at midcourt, do you call it?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
I believe a hand check is always and advantage to the defender. That said, I probably don't call it enough.

Mregor
If the defender locks the arm i call it. I call it a lock and load.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
SBQ.

If the hand affects the ballhandler's Speed, Balance, or Quickness, it's a foul.

Does it slow him down? Foul.
Does it move him to one side? Foul.
Does it take away his first step? Foul.

SBQ.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

I see the forearm/wrist check more than the hand check.
I tend to call both early and any time the dribbler is redirected.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
...initiated by the offensive player trying to fight around a defender who is well positioned and moving his feet to maintain that position, .....
Hawks' -- In general, I agree with you, except that a hand out in front is never legal guarding position, so the defender is automatically not "well-positioned." Hands and arms are only legal if they are straight up. I'm not saying I call anything that involves touching with hands and arms out front, but I don't think "well-positioned" is possible with hands not up, unless there's no contact.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Hands and arms are only legal if they are straight up.

Hmmmm....
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Hands and arms are only legal if they are straight up.

Hmmmm....

Hmmm..... what?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm not sure what you're saying.