The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sure, you should call the double dribble, but you better do it right away. From the sounds of it, the crew missed the illegal dribble; or at least called it late.
If you miss the double dribble, you need to call the foul.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

In this situation it's quite possible that the crew did not blow a whistle for a foul deeming their was no advantage gained.

Or maybe they ran in the locker and started a fight with officials from a later game over whether or not officials should be allowed to officiate games involving their alma maters.

OR WHAT MICK SAID.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

So why wait.

Just post what they did now instead of waiting till Monday. I can tell you based on rule that ALL of the above responses are correct.

Since it was not a legitimate attempt, no basket, just a common foul and shooting 1 at the other end if 1/1 or 2 if dbl. Why does the OP think it is so difficult??? You have to shoot the shots because it will have a potential impact on the outcome....
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:52pm
Huck Finn

Grail, either I missed something or you missed something. Wasn't A the offensive team?
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Okay I couldn’t wait until Monday!

Ding, ding, ding!!!

All give Frank an ATABOY!

Yes the lead (or trail since the ball should have been going the other way) called a double dribble since A2 stopped her dribble, threw the ball off of her own backboard and then grabbed the ball which is double dribbling! No foul, no basket. All action after the double dribble was ignored since no flagrant action by B1.
Ball OOB to Team B under the basket with about 1 second to go!

(Yes, I must admit I missed this too when the ref asked me about this play!)

This is a great case play that makes you think though!
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it should have been a double dribble, but. . . .I don't think I would go back for that call after all the other action occurred. That should have been blown dead there, or not at all.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Ok...she dribbled, took a shot at the opponent's basket, then got the rebound. Something in the back of my mind says that's a double dribble.
According to the post, she dribble, shot, and got her own rebound, then shot again. It didn't say she dribble again and shot. Not a double dribble but maybe traveling with the ball, because you can't pass the ball to yourself. Traveling violation stops the clock, no foul ever occurred. Team B ball underneath. Owe, unless foul is flagrant or intentional, fouls after the ball is dead is ignored.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:28pm
Never Stop Learning

If they whistled the play dead when the ball hit the backboard good call, but if they waited until all other action occured it was too late to go back to the double dribble. Here we go again! Putting the ball against the opponents backboard is the start of a dribble.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 04:32pm.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
According to the post, she dribble, shot, and got her own rebound, then shot again. It didn't say she dribble again and shot. Not a double dribble but maybe traveling with the ball, because you can't pass the ball to yourself. Traveling violation stops the clock, no foul ever occurred. Team B ball underneath. Owe, unless foul is flagrant or intentional, fouls after the ball is dead is ignored.
A2 does not need to dribble again...

9.5 Situation: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the ball against the opponent’s backboard or an official and catches the rebound.
Ruling: A1 has violated. Throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. (4-15-2; Fundamental 19)
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
OS, read your rulebook, Violation - Dribble rule 9.5 Situation

It counts as a dribble if you bounce the ball off the board. Dribble one on the floor, dribble two on the backboard. I don't know how in the world you get a traveling.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
If they whistled the play dead when the ball hit the backboard good call, but if they waited until all other action occured it was too late to go back to the double dribble.
Wait til A2 catches the ball after it hits the backboard in this instance; otherwise, I agree.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:48pm
Never Stop Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Wait til A2 catches the ball after it hits the backboard in this instance; otherwise, I agree.
Thanks Snaqwells, I concur
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 04:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Ok...she dribbled, took a shot at the opponent's basket, then got the rebound. Something in the back of my mind says that's a double dribble.
Aaaaargh!

Good catch.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
From the OP, it sounds possible that even if the ref did call the double dribble as soon as he saw it, all the rest of the action could have happened, it may not have been too late.

Also, the OP doesn't say whether the ball did or didn't go into B's basket before the horn. It says the foul was after the shot before the horn. Because of the double dribble, it doesn't matter. But suppose the double dribble hadn't happend, such as if A3 had grabbed the "rebound" and shot and been fouled by B. Then if the ball went in before the horn, it would count, even though the foul wouldn't be on the shot. How's that for confusing?

Okay, now I'm going to go pay my bills, wash my dishes and do my game.

have a nice weekend.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James
It's over and back if A caught the ball in their frontcourt, and proceeded to dribble towards B's hoop. But I really hope you just didn't omit that part of the story. Otherwise, I agree with what's previously been posted.
The throw-in was on the sideline in A's backcourt, so it is unlikely that A2 caught the ball in the frontcourt. Since, the original post didn't specify, we can assume the ball was caught in the backcourt and no backcourt violation occured.