The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Closest I've come to a FYC, and with 12U fall ball!

This past weekend, I was calling a "triple header" of 12U fall ball (a lot of these teams are former 10U preparing for moving up next year). Format of the triple-header was

A plays B
B plays C
C plays A

All drop dead clock at 1:20; no league standings kept. Fall ball is generally very low key.

Team A is at bat. Runner on 1st, steals second. B catcher complains she left "way early." One umpire game; I didn't see it.

Next inning, A at bat again. Runner on 1st. As the pitcher is into her windup, my brain registers a runner in my peripheral vision. My "did she really leave that early" disbelief (she had to be 2 steps off the base) caused a delay in my synoptic processing; I call the pitch (stike.) Coach B was now complaining loudly. BTW, 1st base coach was yelling "go" to tell the runners when to go.

I decide to concentrate on this runner (now on second). Pitcher in windup. Runner times her leadoff close - too close; she's about a half step off the base at the release. With just one umpire, I usually ignore that. No benefit of the doubt from me now, though - NO PITCH RUNNER OUT.

Next inning, A has a (different) runner on 1st. I decide to position myself at a bit of an angle so my peripheral vision can pick up the runner sooner. Sure enough - "go" from the coach, runner launches at least 2 steps early. NO PITCH, RUNNER OUT.

Coach A says, "I guess we'll have to stay on the base girls."

No kidding, coach.

It really annoyed me that this coach would be sending his runners early trying to take advantage of a one umpire situation. I mean really annoyed me. I watched this team like a hawk for the rest of that game & game 3. No further problems. Which, strangely enough, annoyed me even more since it just reinforced my belief that this coach was intentionally cheating (as opposed to young kids being too eager).

Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Over the years, I've seen a lot of coaches do that exact same thing. They do stuff like that to see if the blue is gonna call it. If they do, then it quits. One coach told me that he's rather know if he can get away with it in the first inning than the last.

I guess their attitude is that we're there to enforce the rules, lets see if they're gonna do it or not. I've seen a lot of umpires not call things, because it's not worth the hassle. I come from a different cloth. If it's in the rule book in black and white, it's gonna be enforced.

That's another reason I watch games on my "off" games. Not only do I enjoy the game itself, you can learn about teams by watching them when you're not on the field.

Rick
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quite often in H.S. games, including varsity, for whatever reason I've had to call games alone. In my pre-game I used the same statement each time: "Coach, I'm working alone today so I can't always watch your runners. I expect you not to take advantage of me, and to keep your runners close. If I do think that you're cheating on me, I'll randomly call a runner out just to send a message."

Coaches always agree, and I've never had a problem. But then, these are H.S. coaches; a different set of ethics generally prevails.

WMB
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Randomly calling a runner out because you think someone is cheating? You call a runner because you saw the runner leave the base early, not because you thought someone cheated. You are not supposed to guess outs, you're supposed to see them. Will you call an illegal pitch every now and then because you think she might be illegal?
There are limitations in one-umpire games, and everyone should live with them. A single umpires is not going to see everything, but he should call what he sees, and only what he sees.
Most coaches I know, travel ball and high school, teach their players to leave a split second early from 1st in one-umpire games. You're not going to see it unless they are way early. You cannot watch the runner at 1st and the pitcher and do a good job. You do the best you can.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
Quite often in H.S. games, including varsity, for whatever reason I've had to call games alone. In my pre-game I used the same statement each time: "Coach, I'm working alone today so I can't always watch your runners. I expect you not to take advantage of me, and to keep your runners close. If I do think that you're cheating on me, I'll randomly call a runner out just to send a message."

Coaches always agree, and I've never had a problem. But then, these are H.S. coaches; a different set of ethics generally prevails.

WMB
I agree with blue on this....Just "randomly" calling a
runner out to send a message does not sound like good umpiring.
Not to say you are not a good umpire, but only call what you see
then you will have less problems.

JMHO,

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Before everyone buries WMB on his pre-game. He said he told the coaches he would call a random out, NOT that he actually has. If the coach believes him and that holds the runner, he doesn't ahve to call the out.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Whether you randomly call a ruuner out or not, I don't think you tell the coaches that you will. If you do, you are setting yourself up for arguements. If you tell me that you will call random outs, as a coach I will be questioning all of your close calls. I'll be asking, "is this one of your random outs, or is this one legitimate?" As an umpire, you call the game as you see it, by the rules.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue
Whether you randomly call a ruuner out or not, I don't think you tell the coaches that you will. If you do, you are setting yourself up for arguements. If you tell me that you will call random outs, as a coach I will be questioning all of your close calls. I'll be asking, "is this one of your random outs, or is this one legitimate?" As an umpire, you call the game as you see it, by the rules.
Again, I agree with blue...This should not come up in the
pre-game conference. Really setting yourself up. No intent
to bury WMB, just pointing out this could lead to serious problems
during the game as blue pointed out.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I have called many 1 umpire games, especially in fall ball. If problems such as this arise, I will say to the offended coach, I can't see the runner leave early, but I will try and watch for it. I will also mention to other coach to help watch out for infractions also. In leagues where standings are not kept, I even offer to allow coaches to make this type of call. By admitting I may not catch it all, and allowing coaches to help, it seems to bring all back to the playing of the game, not arguements. I have had coaches call their own runners out on this type of play. I think the umpires attitude, and demeanor goes a long way in resolving such as this. There are some coaches however which "must" win at any cost, and are not trying to build a better ballplayer. Those types you just have to live with, or toss.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

First, on the fraction of a sec early - even in a 2 umpire game, when I am on the bases, I need to actually see the runner leave early, and I don't have stop-action instant replay available. Most agressive runners will start their motion in anticipation of the pitch. I will watch for ball-leaving-the-hand, foot-losing-touch-with-the-base timing, but it has to be a clear violation before I'll call it.

I have had travel coaches try this, and I have adapted my stance to watch for it, but what got my goat this time was that is was 12-bleeping-U fall ball with no standings being kept! Besides, the team wasn't that good - there was a lot more useful things that coach should have been working on.

We have this funny anomaly here with fall ball; during the season itself, no standings, etc. are kept, games have a drop dead clock, so games don't matter except for individual team pride, but it does end with both a state qualifier tournament and a state tournament. I'm calling the 16 U state qualifier this weekend. These games do matter, and these players are generally quite good. And, they will be 1 umpire games (as I said - anomaly). I do expect to be challenged with aggressive play.

On WMB's plate meeting warning - it seems to work for him, and if said in a half-joking manner, I can't really see any down side (unless, of course, you actually follow through with the threat).

I kinda like the asking the coach to call it idea. I especially like the idea of asking a coach who is sending his players early to call his own players out for leaving early. I have no idea what he would do with that, but just having him struggle with the ethical dilemma would be worth it! It might be something to ask him in front of his bench so his own players, and maybe parents, would hear the request!
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure that if WMB's warning is delivered in a jovial manner, it's not a bad thing. If it works for him, then great. He's obviously not going to actually call someone out randomly - but if saying so, in a joking tone of voice, gets the point across, then more power to him.

I'd hope he'd never say that in a tournament or playoff game, but then again - one would also hope you had three umpires for those games, and working with one should never happen.

I've used the following often in adult slowpitch when working alone.

"Coaches, I can only see your baserunners in my peripheral vision. Tell them to stay put before the pitch. If I even THINK someone left early, then they left early, and they're out. And I don't want any arguments from you if that happens." Usually takes care of it - and I can't recall actually having to call someone out for this when I was by myself.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame

I rarely talk about anything beyond ground rules in a softball pregame. I would never discuss a specific rule unless it is a new rule (and it is the beginning of the season) or one of the teams has a specific question... then my answer would be specific.

The rules of the game are the rules. JUST CALL THE RUNNER OUT. No need for warnings or anything else. If what WMB does works for him, great. It does sound as though it could possibly create some expectations and some trouble.

How about this though... Dakota

EJECT THE COACH! If he is obviously cheating as you felt and 'making a travesty of the game...' "Time/Dead Ball, the runner is out for being off the base too soon, COACH YOU'RE GONE!"

Just a thought. I don't feel coaches and players are there to challenge the umpires or their abilities. You want to challenge an umpire you loose; you want to argue a call you loose. Same story. For me it would have been very tempting to eject the coach for encouraging rule violation.

From my viewpoint (hundreds of miles away and through a discussion board), it's like a coach telling the pitcher to throw at the batter, or sending a player in with illegal equipment, or to intentionally collide with someone. These kind of tactics are disgusting and worthy of penalty/punishment.

In my opinion and just a consideration. I would have really needed to be there in the situation to make such a decision.