The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 31, 2000, 07:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

It is a violation, while dribbling, to simultaneously strike the ball with both hands. Have you seen players, during a dribble, push the ball to the floor with one hand and then have it touch the other hand before the ball hits the floor? I have. In fact, I see it 20 or 30 times a season.

Is this a violation? By strict interpretation of the rules - no. But - should it be?
Old Mon Jul 31, 2000, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, it's a violation by any interpretation of the rules. The case where the touching is simultaneous as you describe (i.e. the 2nd hand touches the ball before it is released by the 1st hand) is an easy violation call. NF 4.15.4c "The dribble ends when the dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands."

It is even a violation if the 2nd hand touches the ball AFTER it is released by the 1st hand (not simultaneous), but before the ball touches the floor. NF 4.15.2 "during a dribble the ball may be batted into the air provided it is permitted to strike the floor before the ball is touched again with the hand(s)."
Old Tue Aug 01, 2000, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

JC - good points, but not EXACTLY what Mark is talking about. Mark refers to "dribbling" the ball and your reference refers to "batting" the ball. "Dribbling" taps the ball directly to the floor (perpendicular to the floor) and "batting" is hitting the ball on the side to push it somewhat parallel to the floor.

I don't know if there is a rule/case that covers Mark's specific concern. I might add that I don't recall seeing this type of situation (ie. hitting the ball twice during the same dribble), but now I will be aware of it.

I also feel that it is an act that goes against the spirit of the rules and should be penalized. Now to sell it!!!

David
Old Wed Aug 02, 2000, 08:46am
Suppref

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett:
It is a violation, while dribbling, to simultaneously strike the ball with both hands. Have you seen players, during a dribble, push the ball to the floor with one hand and then have it touch the other hand before the ball hits the floor? I have. In fact, I see it 20 or 30 times a season.

Is this a violation? By strict interpretation of the rules - no. But - should it be?

Mark, this situation is not much different to while dribbling, the ball touches off the dribblers leg. Although not enforced as muchas it should, we were told that this situation is double dribble. Have fun - -Suppref
Old Wed Aug 02, 2000, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Suppref:
Mark, this situation is not much different to while dribbling, the ball touches off the dribblers leg. Although not enforced as muchas it should, we were told that this situation is double dribble. Have fun - -Suppref

Huh? Are you saying that a dribble that touches off a dribbler's leg is illegal?

Maybe I'm just misreading it.