The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Technical-Sub??

Section 8....Article 3 states that anyone on the floor or any eligible sub can shoot the Technical. I am being told that if the sub is not already at the table, as though they were already going to come in before the technical was called, that they are not eligible to enter and shoot the shots. I seem to feel that during the dead ball, that anyone on the bench can come to the table to enter....Thoughts??? Official ruling??? Thanks in advance
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness
Section 8....Article 3 states that anyone on the floor or any eligible sub can shoot the Technical. I am being told that if the sub is not already at the table, as though they were already going to come in before the technical was called, that they are not eligible to enter and shoot the shots. I seem to feel that during the dead ball, that anyone on the bench can come to the table to enter....Thoughts??? Official ruling??? Thanks in advance
You were told incorrectly. 3-1 lists the substitution rules. There's nothing in there that says, "In order to shoot the FTs for a T, the sub must be at the table before the T is called."
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 09:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness
A sub can be brought in specifically to shoot Technical free throws. In fact, after the first free throw and a new sub (NFHS only) can be brought in to shoot the second free throw.

Question the forum:

During the administration of Technical free throws do you bring in subs from the table after the first free throw who do you wait until after both free throws? Looking for NFHS and NCAA answers.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
During the administration of Technical free throws do you bring in subs from the table after the first free throw who do you wait until after both free throws? Looking for NFHS and NCAA answers.
By rule, they can enter. That said, I try to figure out who is being replaced. If the sub is to shoot the next throw (FED only) or is to replace the person who was T'd, or is to replace anyone else who looks like s/he might cause trouble, I let them in. Otherwise, I try to have them wait.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bgleason@neonin
Exclamation Anyone can shoot

Well Almost, any player in uniform and in the scorebook can shoot a technical foul.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleason@neonin
Well Almost, any player in uniform and in the scorebook can shoot a technical foul.
Hmm. Can they add a player to the scorebook, take their T, and have him shoot the shots?
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

During the admin of a technical foul "substitutes can only be made before the final attempt in the sequence." So if there are further free throws to be made after you shoot the T or the 1 and 1 or 2 shot foul, only just prior to the final FT can you beckon a sub. Make sense?
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

If they are stupid, they can do that. I might discourage that move...
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
If they are stupid, they can do that. I might discourage that move...
How can you "discourage" something that the rules allow?
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

But if they're subbing for a shooter, I'm letting all subs in at once. Or if coach is subbing for the offender (common), I'm letting all subs in at once, right away. No point in letting an emotional player hang out there where his mouth can get him into more trouble.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
During the admin of a technical foul "substitutes can only be made before the final attempt in the sequence." So if there are further free throws to be made after you shoot the T or the 1 and 1 or 2 shot foul, only just prior to the final FT can you beckon a sub. Make sense?
It doesn't hold true for all situations though. If a player is directed to leave the game(blood, equipment, jewelry, etc.) or a TO is granted, any subs that are at the table can come in--no matter how many FT's remain to be shot. Case book play 3.3.1SitD(a&c).
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:42am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
During the admin of a technical foul "substitutes can only be made before the final attempt in the sequence." Make sense?
No, I don't think so. My understanding was that a coach could bring in a sub specifically to shoot the 2 technical free throws. He doesn't have to wait until after the first one is shot, does he?
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Reference, please. 3-3-1c indicates "Before multiple free-throw personal fouls, substitutions may be made only before ...."
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

My personal preference is to bring in the subs before we inbound the ball after the free throws have been shot, unless the substitute is for the free throw shooter. I think that leads toward more continuity of a situation that is already breaking up the flow of the game. Again, this is only my personal preference and I realize that subs could enter the game before that time.