The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

From the Washington Post:

"Tim Duncan stared at the referees in disbelief after his first foul -- as he has after almost every call against him during the tournament. When he was whistled for another moments later on what appeared to be a good call, he stood along the lane with his back to the basket and the referee while a Lithuanian player took his two free throws."

I wasn't reffing, and I didn't see the game, but I have to say my first thought is that this gets a technical foul. Anyone who can comment on this?
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 03:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why?

If he does not step to you or say anything, why would you worry about it? I would just look back at him, so what.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

This is manner compared to the behavior of many of the players who normally play unfer FIBA rules. Over and over again, in the two games today, players would walk up to the officials with there hands and arms extended, and complain about calls. Without regard to who won and who lost or how good or bad the officiating was, this is intolerable to me. Players on the benches jumping up to complain, 3 or 4 coaches standing, the head coach almost at the division line, it was terrible.

In these Olympics, FIBA was truly FEEBLE.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 07:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Tony,

Now I agree with that. There were too many players running their mouths on too many plays. It seemed like the officials did nothing. I would not allow that kind of actions to just go on.

I should also clarify in my comments about what Mark said.

If a player just did that one time, I might not even care. But if a player had been running his mouth the entire game, I probably would have a word with the player. These are also adults and that changes the type of behavior I would tolerate and how I would deal with them. I would tolerate much less from HS and even college players.

I have to agree with you Tony on this as well. The officiating that I have seen was suspect. I really do not understand the philosophy of dealing with players and even calling the game. I have seen a better job from Varsity HS officials. These guys looked many times like they were newer or guys that have not moved up. I did not understand the logic behind some calls or get a feel for what they were calling. But I did not watch every game or every minute of most games. I was not impressed at all.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

I certainly don't know this to be true, but I wonder if the refs had received instructions to be vveerryy ssllooww to give T's.

It also seems that under FIBA, players can enter the lane on a free throw attempt as soon as the shooter STARTS his sooting motion.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
It also seems that under FIBA, players can enter the lane on a free throw attempt as soon as the shooter STARTS his sooting motion.
Yeah! And they can enter as soon as he starts his sHooting motion, too.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that the officials have been far to lienient (sp??) with the T's.

My big example, in the US v. Argentina game, in reaction to a missed call by the officials practically the whole US bench was on the court. And not just a step on the court, they were ON the court. This is unnacceptable. It wouldn't even be tolerated in the NBA so why are the FIBA officials allowing it??
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen what happened on that play, but if a player is awarded two free-throws, it cannot have been a technical foul on a player (unless it was in between two periods)... Untill the first of September (when the rule changes to two FT's and possession) the penalty for a T is one FT and poss...

ADR
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

ADR, I wasn't suggesting that the free throws were for a T and so the lane should have been cleared. I thought that Duncan should have gotten a technical for pulling that b.s. during a free throw.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I noticed that too. Maybe somone who knows FIBA rules could clarify.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Isaak
I noticed the players and the coach walking well onto the court ... which isn't too bad when the ball is in the frontcourt and the offending coach is in the back ...

But I saw Larry Brown walking well onto the court when the ball was in the front court !!!

Why didn't the refs even communicate with the coaches !!! If not then tech them ... get them in line ... reactions were WAY overboard in many calls...

Seemed communication was of a very poor standard ... and as fellow refs, it seems a lot of us are scratching our heads at a lot of the calls and missed calls, I think this is a bad sign!!!

(¯`?.¸(¯`?.¸ keeping it real ¸.?´¯)¸.?´¯)
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Mark, I'm sorry, you're right, I didn't read the message properly. Ehm, players MAY NOT enter the lane when the shooting motion begins, but (off course) only when the ball is released. But things like that aren't called very frequently, neither are Technical Fouls on coaches for leaving their coachbox, as long as they don't interfere with the play or aren't complaining to the referees. FIBA refereeing is very focussed on game-flow. E.g.: I have seen very few travelling calls (too few in my opinion), the screens set by a lot of players were also very miserable, but almost never called...

ADR
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
From the Washington Post:

"Tim Duncan stared at the referees in disbelief after his first foul -- as he has after almost every call against him during the tournament. When he was whistled for another moments later on what appeared to be a good call, he stood along the lane with his back to the basket and the referee while a Lithuanian player took his two free throws."

I wasn't reffing, and I didn't see the game, but I have to say my first thought is that this gets a technical foul. Anyone who can comment on this?
Why should this be a technical foul? If he wants to line up backwards, I have no problem with it. It is only going to make it harder for him to rebound....and although it is unsportsmanlike, I think it is better just to ignore it.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Aug 31, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Even if it's not a technical (although I probably would have called it unsporting since it seemed obvious to everyone watching he was showing up the official) shouldn't someone with the olympic committee do something about the sportsmanship of some of our athletes? I find it embarassing that they are representing us. As far as the officials, I didn't see a lot of the games, but what I did see looked a little inconsistant. I do give them props for running 2 man with those athletes. That's a lot of muscle and speed for 4 eyes to watch.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee

Why should this be a technical foul? If he wants to line up backwards, I have no problem with it. It is only going to make it harder for him to rebound....and although it is unsportsmanlike, I think it is better just to ignore it.
I tend to not ignore the unsportsmanlike stuff. It's disrespectful and shows up the refs in a big way.