The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 02:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Why is the debate between perfection and the status quo? Just because a playoff wouldn't be perfect doesn't mean it wouldn't be a huge improvement over the current mess.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
It's so obvious that a playoff system would be better than the current system that the debate isn't fun. It simply points out the closed-mindedness (or greed) of the big-wigs that are opposed to it. There's not a single good reason for NOT having a championship settled on the field; as it is in every other NCAA sport in every other NCAA division.
Obviously the people who run things disagree with you, for *whatever* reason (and yes, last I heard "making money" remains a legal and valid reason in most if not all 50 states).

If they agreed with you they would do in January for ncaa d1 football what they do in March for ncaa d1 basketball.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:14pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Obviously the people who run things disagree with you
Obviously. Doesn't mean they're right.

Quote:
If they agreed with you they would do in January for ncaa d1 football what they do in March for ncaa d1 basketball.
And for NCAA D2 football, and for NCAA D3 football, and for every other NCAA sport in every NCAA division.

If a BCS winner is such a great idea, why don't they do it any other sport? It's so obvious, it's ridiculous.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Obviously. Doesn't mean they're right.
Doesn't mean you're right either.

Just means that you - armed with all the information of a casual observer - disagree with others who understand the issue fully.
Quote:

And for NCAA D2 football, and for NCAA D3 football, and for every other NCAA sport in every NCAA division.

If a BCS winner is such a great idea, why don't they do it any other sport? It's so obvious, it's ridiculous.
Please, give us the benefit of your wisdom.

What is the obviously ridiculous answer?
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

What is the obviously ridiculous answer?
The NCAA needs to just come out and say the reason there is no play-offs is because of the money the current bowl system provides to member schools. But don't insult our intelligence with excuses about mid-terms and finals and time away from school when you have 1-AA, DII, & DIII schools participating in a play-off system that extends their seasons to 14-15 games.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
The NCAA needs to just come out and say the reason there is no play-offs is because of the money the current bowl system provides to member schools. But don't insult our intelligence with excuses about mid-terms and finals and time away from school when you have 1-AA, DII, & DIII schools participating in a play-off system that extends their seasons to 14-15 games.
I do completely agree with this statement. Anytime this issue is brought up by the NCAA or people associated with NCAA schools, they claim it would be hard on the kids when every other level plays just as long if not longer.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 03:48pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
No more callers, please!! We have a winner!

The funny thing is, I don't even care that much about college football, and I really don't care about the pathetic slate of "postseason" games that we get every year. I just think it's hysterical that they run playoffs for every other sport in every other division; but to have playoffs for D1 football would be a hardship on the players and hurt their academics.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 04:01pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
A lot will whine about the seeding....just like basketball. How many times, due to the bracket ordering, has the "real" championship game been in the semis...you know...the two teams people really think are the best?
This is because the tournament committee always makes things easier for Duke.

Additionally, it is ridiculous to have all these games after New Year's.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:48am
Courageous When Prudent

from the football forum

Look at his left leg.

Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, honestly. It's not fun. It's a stupid debate. It's so obvious that a playoff system would be better than the current system that the debate isn't fun.
Many people think that one game determines which team is the best. All that a one game championship proves is that this team was better on this day. This is just as arbitrary as a vote, but doesn't require any brain cells.

When the UPI and AP often had differing opinions for the national champion, it sparked debate that made for interest in the various bowl games.

When you put in playoffs, it cheapens the meaning of the regular season accomplishments, to the absurd point that winning a league championship no longer matters. Last season, the NY Islanders hockey team had a chance to win their Division by winning their final game, but the "experts" were saying they should lose on purpose so they'd get an easier first round playoff opponent.

Don't let this happen to college football.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:45pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Don't let this happen to college football.
You mean other than Div 1A, Div 2, and Div 3 college football?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You mean other than Div 1A, Div 2, and Div 3 college football?
This is just a pet peeve of mine. I miss when the Rose Bowl was the big game on New Year's Day and almost everyone in the country sat around watching the Big 10 champion against the Pac 10 Champion. New Year's Day used to be one of the biggest football watching days of the year, and a prime Father-Son couch potato moment. You'd have the Cotton Bowl and the Orange Bowl and the Sugar Bowl, and each game could have a bearing on the final polls. Now New Year's Day football is irrelevant.

I also hate that every championship has been moved to prime time, and if schools in session the litlle kids that live in the East can't watch. I also don't think we have to have a national champion in everything we do, from kindergarten on up.

Sorry for the rant.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
I also don't think we have to have a national champion in everything we do, from kindergarten on up.

Sorry for the rant.
Well you should be sorry.

Scrappy says we NEED a national championship determined by a playoff tourney. He has some inside information that he won't share, but somehow it's obvious why we need it and he's serious about it.

From what I can tell his thinking is that everybody else does it that way, so he's going to hold his breath until they do it for ncaa d1 football too.

Who knows. :shrug:
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:35pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Scrappy says we NEED a national championship determined by a playoff tourney.
Please. I never said that. What I said was that I really don't even care about college football that much. I watch maybe a half dozen games a year. What I also said is that a playoff system is obviously a better mechanism for finding a national champion than the current system.

Quote:
From what I can tell his thinking is that everybody else does it that way, so he's going to hold his breath until they do it for ncaa d1 football too.
Not everyone else, but the very same organization. Not some different group; the same group -- the NCAA!! If choosing a national champion by polls was really such a great idea for college football, don't you think they'd use it for the rest of their divisions? No, of course not.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not everyone else, but the very same organization. Not some different group; the same group -- the NCAA!! If choosing a national champion by polls was really such a great idea for college football, don't you think they'd use it for the rest of their divisions? No, of course not.
There, I rest my case.

According to Scrappy we NEED it because everyone else* does it that way too.

* Obviously I don't mean every single other organization on the planet - for instance the American Medical Association or the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers don't determine a national champ. But I would have thought Scrappy might be able to infer what my definition of "everyone" was simply by the context. Glad I could clear this up for him.