The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Ejected!

Team B Head coach was ejected tonight in a JV game.

Question is: Does the assistant LOSE the coaching box too?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Since when is there an assistant's coaching box?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Since when is there an assistant's coaching box?
There is no assitant coaching box. The asst took over for the ejected coach.

Does the assistant now have the right to use the box after the HC was ejected?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

YES! The assistant coach is restricted to his/her seat.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
YES! The assistant coach is restricted to his/her seat.
Ok! thanks
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
There is no assitant coaching box. The asst took over for the ejected coach.

Does the assistant now have the right to use the box after the HC was ejected?
Absolutely not. The assistant furthermore gets less latitude to speak than the coach had in the first place. IMHO, of course.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

The assistant is now the head coach for the remainder of the game and is treated as such. He is limited to his seat seeing that a tech has been called that is directly attributed to the head coach. He however does not have a tech contributed to him for disqualification purposes. He still has two techs before he has to hit the road
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 03:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Absolutely not. The assistant furthermore gets less latitude to speak than the coach had in the first place. IMHO, of course.
The assistant coach becomes the head coach, and should receive the exact same latitude to speak as was previously granted to the former head coach. Iow, the assistant comes in with a clean slate, and his actions will determine your reactions. The only difference is the loss of coaching box privileges.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 04:03am.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure that I believe in the promotion of the asst coach to head coach for the remainder of the game. Perhaps the team is now simply without a head coach and is being run by the asst coach. Of course, this creates some difficulties.
1. Can anyone on the bench request a time-out?
2. Who would be charged with the direct technical foul if a DQ'd player is not replaced in 30 seconds?
3. If a DQ'd player returns to the game and participates, who would be charged with the technical foul?

Just a different perspective.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Those questions are exactly why the asst coach becomes the head coach for the remainder of the game. Someone has to be in charge of the squad, and the asst now assumes those duties.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

JV Coaching Box?

Just a question. Since when does a sub-varsity coach even have a coaching box.
In Wisconsin only varsity coaches have that priviledge. Once it's lost by the head coach, if he is ejected his replacement doesn't have the box.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I'm not sure that I believe in the promotion of the asst coach to head coach for the remainder of the game. Perhaps the team is now simply without a head coach and is being run by the asst coach. Of course, this creates some difficulties.
2. Who would be charged with the direct technical foul if a DQ'd player is not replaced in 30 seconds?
3. If a DQ'd player returns to the game and participates, who would be charged with the technical foul?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisscott
Just a question. Since when does a sub-varsity coach even have a coaching box.
In Wisconsin only varsity coaches have that priviledge. Once it's lost by the head coach, if he is ejected his replacement doesn't have the box.
It's a state option as described in the rule book. As written by the NFHS, the state option allows all head coaches have coaching box privileges, no matter the level of play. Evidently, Wisconsin does their own thing, which is their choice.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 08:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:

1)No
2) Nobody.
3) Nobody.

You left out that correctable or timing/scoring errors could now never be appealed either also.

If there's no head coach, then obviously none of the rules pertaining to head coaches apply any longer.

Happy now?

PS- you gotta know that I was kidding, folks, even though Nevada wasn't.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:32am

Quote:

1.) In the absence of no coach and no assistant coach, YES!
2.) I would just go to the bench and just get someone to replace him. However, if you go into the 30 second to replace a disqualified player (for fouling out) routine and you start the timeout clock, and we reach the end of this time period. You could enforce a technical to the bench. 2 shots and the ball back to the offended team.
3.) Charge the technical to the bench and eject the player. Player must now leave the playing area.

Questions 2 and 3 are good questions. In HS, these technicals are also team fouls to count towards the bonus. In college, this in an indirect technical to the bench, does not count towards the bonus. It gets even more interesting when you consider the captain of the team and this person has not been disqualified. Does he/she now assume the role of the assistant coach? I would say not but not sure what the rules say. This person can certainly make decisions like who goes into the game following a disqualification, calling timeouts, addressing correctable error issues, etc.
Closed Thread