The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

MN plays 2 halves, not 4 quarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
And two halves in high school ball. Have never even heard of that????
In Minnesota H.S. basketball we switched last year to two 18 minute halves instead of four eight minute quarters. The thinking at the time was it would create additional opportunities for bench players due to the need to rest the starters more as they wouldn't have the quarter breaks. Based on what I've seen, I can't attest to this being the case.

We also have approved video review for our state tournaments.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
I had one not long ago - one of those classic case book situations you don't see all that often.

Freshman boys game, I'm the trail. A1 launches a high looping shot from just inside the arc, clearly returns to the floor, is then fouled by B1 before shot goes in. I had the whole sequence clearly & there was absolutely no question on the timing. I blow the whistle, count the basket, common foul on B1, and since they're not yet in the penalty ball OOB to A. I figured on having to explain it to the coaches, but was a little surprised I had to explain it to my partner...........
Boys JV last second shot, no foul, time runs out as ball bounces off floor and goes in. We don't count the shot team loses by one.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I have never done a game that didn't have two halves. Same in football. Every pizza I've ever ordered has had two halves. Same with apples and oranges - I have two halves. Then I compare them. Doesn't everything have two halves???

Come to think of it, the only time I dealt with one half was when I once dug half a hole.
Can I nominate this for post-of-the-month or something?
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 03:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
How about post-of-the-half-month?
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
You could, but I think Old School has quite a few posts that would beat it out.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 04:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Has anybody ever seen Old School and Juggling Referee in the same room?
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Has anybody ever seen Old School and Juggling Referee in the same room?
Off the subject, I've always wondered the same thing about Michael and LaToya.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's funny.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 07:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Classic.

Quote:
Yes, s/he is good. But it was an honour to be in the same sentence as s/he. Now let me log off and log back in. (With apologies to OS.)
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 07:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I just got home from officiating a great boys varsity game tonight. Big crowd. Loud cheerleaders representing both teams. Two very good teams. Great partner. Good table officials. Challenging but respectful coaches. Players that just wanted to play and didn't whine about calls. What was "odd" about the game was we had some real "weird" calls:
These games happen from time to time. Enjoy them!

Quote:
3) I called a violation for excessively swinging elbows (no contact). I used to call this a few times a season many years ago when it was only a violation. When the penalty changed to a technical foul, I never called it, because I thought the penalty was too severe. Since it has changed back to a violation, I hadn't called it until tonight.
This frustrates me! Do others in your local choose what rules to enforce? How do you communicate to the coaches which rules you'll not use in the game at hand?

Quote:
4) I called an intentional foul for a defensive player grabbing opponent #12's jersey. No big deal until #12 makes his foul shots, at which point the scorekeeper, as well as the visiting scorekeeper, inform me that there is no #12 in either book. Team technical foul. Two technical foul shots and the ball for the team that originally committed the intentional foul.
False double, right?
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 08:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

JV girls this afternoon; A1 on a throw-in following a made basket. Starts to throw and sees defense in way and tries to pull back. Ball comes loose and bounces on the court, and she steps out and grabs it. Not sure why, but I'd never had this violation before.
Next game, opening tip (JV boys). Black tips the ball towards the sideline, and it grazes off of white before heading OOB. No possession prior to the violation. Don't seem to get that often, either.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 08:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I almost forgot to add. I had two fouls called off because of violations my partner called that happened just prior to me blowing the whistle. One was a push through a screen that I blew right after he blew a travel up top. The other was on a rebound where H23 came crashing in, but the ball went OOB just before he plowed through an opponent.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 08:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reply To JugglingReferee

From BillyMac's original post:
"I called a violation for excessivly swinging elbows (no contact). I used to call this a few times a season many years ago when it was only a violation. When the penalty changed to a technical foul, I never called it, because I thought the penalty was too severe. Since it has changed back to a violation, I hadn't called it until tonight."

From Juggling Referee's Reply:
"This frustrates me! Do others in your local choose what rules to enforce? How do you communicate to the coaches which rules you'll not use in the game at hand?"

Reply to JugglingReferee:
In general, I would agree with your statement that individual or local interpretations frustrate you and me both, but in this specific case, it appears that a lot of officials, nationwide, were not calling this technical foul. According to the 2002-03 NFHS Rule Book, page 4, Comments on the Rules Revisions: The penalty for excessive swinging of the elbows was changed back to a violation from a technical foul. The previous rule of a technical foul (changed in 1993-94) was very seldom called, as the penalty was very severe, without contact with an opponent. The committee hoped that by changing this infraction back to an enforceable and less severe penalty (a violation), that the call would be made more frequently and will acheived the desired result of reducing the potential of rough play.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 10:29pm.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I have never done a game that didn't have two halves. Same in football. Every pizza I've ever ordered has had two halves. Same with apples and oranges - I have two halves. Then I compare them. Doesn't everything have two halves???

Come to think of it, the only time I dealt with one half was when I once dug half a hole.
I did a game once with half a partner . . . don't really want to repeat that.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
JV girls this afternoon; A1 on a throw-in following a made basket. Starts to throw and sees defense in way and tries to pull back. Ball comes loose and bounces on the court, and she steps out and grabs it. Not sure why, but I'd never had this violation before.
I had a similar sitch in a BV game last week. Team A makes a basket. B1 throws in to B2 who is standing near the free throw line (no pressure from team A...all 5 were heading down court). Unfortunately for B1 he only tossed the ball about 2 feet onto the court and B1 made no effort to come back and get it, so as B1 ran on court he tapped the ball to B2. Tweet...come on back boys.