View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 07:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I just got home from officiating a great boys varsity game tonight. Big crowd. Loud cheerleaders representing both teams. Two very good teams. Great partner. Good table officials. Challenging but respectful coaches. Players that just wanted to play and didn't whine about calls. What was "odd" about the game was we had some real "weird" calls:
These games happen from time to time. Enjoy them!

Quote:
3) I called a violation for excessively swinging elbows (no contact). I used to call this a few times a season many years ago when it was only a violation. When the penalty changed to a technical foul, I never called it, because I thought the penalty was too severe. Since it has changed back to a violation, I hadn't called it until tonight.
This frustrates me! Do others in your local choose what rules to enforce? How do you communicate to the coaches which rules you'll not use in the game at hand?

Quote:
4) I called an intentional foul for a defensive player grabbing opponent #12's jersey. No big deal until #12 makes his foul shots, at which point the scorekeeper, as well as the visiting scorekeeper, inform me that there is no #12 in either book. Team technical foul. Two technical foul shots and the ball for the team that originally committed the intentional foul.
False double, right?