The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 12:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile My latest games with Juulie

Saturday morning kids rec games (6th grade boys). Yippee skippy! Not a lot to report but the games were very interesting. First game - team down by two in final seconds, kid hits a three at the horn to win. Cool. Second game - team down by two in final seconds (just a coincidence, I swear) and coach yelling at his team to foul. B1 puts his shoulder down, takes a running start and barrels into A1, knocking him flying. I call flagrant (not only an ejection, but in this league, automatic one game suspension). A1 misses both shots. Team A inbounds, B2 steals inbound pass but cannot get a shot off before the horn.

I did tell Juulie I was going to give one of the coaches a warning for DOI (Delay Of Intelligence).

Oh yeah - one coach did yell "over the back" but I told him there's no such call. He looked even more confused than usual.

At one point, a team had six on the floor following a substitution. Juulie told the coach he had six. The coach didn't know what that meant. I told him there's a new rule this year - you only get five players. He still didn't get it.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I did tell Juulie I was going to give one of the coaches a warning for DOI (Delay Of Intelligence).
Doesn't delay of intelligence imply that the coach will become intelligent some day, though?
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 01:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Doesn't delay of intelligence imply that the coach will become intelligent some day, though?
Agree.

Should be LOI- lack of intelligence.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Mark had the acronym correct...DOI...but, maybe it is "Devoid of Intelligence".

i.e.
Read in our local paper today...that a H.S. coach tried to protest a game last night because his player received a 5th foul and was not disqualified. The error was discovered during the first of two FT's.

The coach..."jumping up from his bench"...said the first made FT should not count because his player, that had "fouled out" was still in the game.

Luckily, the reporter for the game is also an official. The reporter gave the correct Rule number and reference in his article showing the coach was incorrect...it was great!
Richland, WA
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude

i.e.
Read in our local paper today...that a H.S. coach tried to protest a game last night because his player received a 5th foul and was not disqualified. The error was discovered during the first of two FT's.

The coach..."jumping up from his bench"...said the first made FT should not count because his player, that had "fouled out" was still in the game.

Luckily, the reporter for the game is also an official. The reporter gave the correct Rule number and reference in his article showing the coach was incorrect...it was great!
Sounds like a great new rule--all media must be fully certified officials. It would cut down on a lot of stupidity.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 08:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

i.e.

Coulda been a T to the coach had he been notified of the 5th foul.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Is that similar to CHUA?
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

i.e.

Unfortunately, most of the rest of us are stuck with reporters/editors that write headlines like the one attached to the following article which appeared as the sports page headline on Saturday:

Sports Page Headline
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Saturday morning kids rec games (6th grade boys). Yippee skippy! Not a lot to report but the games were very interesting. First game - team down by two in final seconds, kid hits a three at the horn to win. Cool. Second game - team down by two in final seconds (just a coincidence, I swear) and coach yelling at his team to foul. B1 puts his shoulder down, takes a running start and barrels into A1, knocking him flying. I call flagrant (not only an ejection, but in this league, automatic one game suspension). A1 misses both shots. Team A inbounds, B2 steals inbound pass but cannot get a shot off before the horn.

Oh yeah - one coach did yell "over the back" but I told him there's no such call. He looked even more confused than usual.

At one point, a team had six on the floor following a substitution. Juulie told the coach he had six. The coach didn't know what that meant. I told him there's a new rule this year - you only get five players. He still didn't get it.
And by the way, there was no need to stare at anyone's pants, nor did we puke on anyone's shoes. Made for a nice morning.