Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
1.) In the absence of no coach and no assistant coach, YES!
For crying out loud. Only the head coach may request a timeout from the bench. (rule 5-8-3) You can't just make up the rules.
Besides that, if you run out of coaches, the game is over.

Unless we're talking rec ball.

Quote:
2.) I would just go to the bench and just get someone to replace him.
So you're a coach during this game, too? You can't just make up the rules.
Quote:
3.) Charge the technical to the bench and eject the player. Player must now leave the playing area.
Rule reference? Never, never, never, send a player out of the gym without adult supervision. In HS ball, an ejected player does not have to leave the court unless you think he's a danger to the game.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2.) I would just go to the bench and just get someone to replace him. However, if you go into the 30 second to replace a disqualified player (for fouling out) routine and you start the timeout clock, and we reach the end of this time period. You could enforce a technical to the bench. 2 shots and the ball back to the offended team.
3.) Charge the technical to the bench and eject the player. Player must now leave the playing area.

Questions 2 and 3 are good questions. In HS, these technicals are also team fouls to count towards the bonus. In college, this in an indirect technical to the bench, does not count towards the bonus. It gets even more interesting when you consider the captain of the team and this person has not been disqualified. Does he/she now assume the role of the assistant coach? I would say not but not sure what the rules say. This person can certainly make decisions like who goes into the game following a disqualification, calling timeouts, addressing correctable error issues, etc.
You truly are clueless.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 09:53am.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rules reference, please.

Quote:
2.) You could enforce a technical to the bench.
3.) Charge the technical to the bench
Rules reference, please.

Quote:
This person can certainly make decisions like who goes into the game following a disqualification, calling timeouts, addressing correctable error issues, etc.
Rules reference, please (on other than the requesting a TO -- which any player can do).
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

You truly are clueless.
I just wanted to see the website from which you got your "WTF" image.

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 10:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
[IMG]

You truly are clueless.
Please note for the record that Old School is just agreeing with NevadaRef.

Couldn't help it. Bad Woddy. Bad,bad Woddy!
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 10:56am

Okay, now that you have shown me that I was wrong or no rule supports my actions. Then tell us what the correct action is by the rule? Now please tell me where does it state the game is over if there is no coach? I know you just love to point out when I'm wrong. I also know it makes your day, hence, that's why I do it. Us old guys need to swing that hammer down sometimes so I give you the opportuntity to take it out on me. One day you will thank me for this.

Peace

Last edited by Old School; Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 11:38am.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

JMO lives!!
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 12:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisscott
Just a question. Since when does a sub-varsity coach even have a coaching box.
In Wisconsin only varsity coaches have that priviledge. Once it's lost by the head coach, if he is ejected his replacement doesn't have the box.
My state has the same coaching box at all levels. What you are describing is about Wisconsin, not anywhere else unless they have a similar rule.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 01:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Okay, now that you have shown me that I was wrong or no rule supports my actions. Then tell us what the correct action is by the rule? Now please tell me where does it state the game is over if there is no coach? I know you just love to point out when I'm wrong. I also know it makes your day, hence, that's why I do it. Us old guys need to swing that hammer down sometimes so I give you the opportuntity to take it out on me. One day you will thank me for this.
I'll tell you what. If by the time I get home tonight no one has posted the reference for this, I'll do it. In the mean time, feel free to actually look it up on your own.
By rule, most would grant the Asst. Coach the HC's previous duties (requesting TO, requesting that a correctable error be corrected, responsibility for the bench and the potential indirect Ts that go with it, etc.). Some may say that no one gets to call a TO from the bench, etc., but I can't for the life of me figure out why.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 08:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Okay, I said I'd get back on this. I looked in the NFHS rule book and couldn't find it. However, it is in the CHSAA directives. "A game shall be forfeited if there is not a certified person available to serve as coach."

I'd be willing to bet money that whatever state you claim to ref in has the same regulations for high school sports.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 02:01am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Okay, I said I'd get back on this. I looked in the NFHS rule book and couldn't find it. However, it is in the CHSAA directives. "A game shall be forfeited if there is not a certified person available to serve as coach."
Snaqs - I was curious about this too, and I can't find anything either. Any officials out here in sunny California know of any CIF (or CCS) regulations regarding presence of coaches, etc.? I know that it mandates teams be coached by people who meet the requirements of being a "coach" in something called Title V, but I can't find Title V (or even the larger body of work that Title V is a part of). I've searched the bylaws and constitution of the CIF (our state high school association governing athletics), but can't find a darned thing. I'd like to know this, too.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 12:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Not in the rulebook, hmm.... I bet you think I didn't know that.

Actually what I suggested I would do is in the rulebook. Rule 2-3: Officials shall make decisions on any points not specially covered in the rulebook. DA! DA!

Logically speaking, if there is a designated captain for the team, which I always mark in the book when I'm the R for the game. It is not totally out of reach (at least in my opinion it's not) to go to this person (in the absence of a HC and AC) and request certain administrative things from him, like replacing a person who has foul out. I have seen captains do this in some of my pre-season games, send in subs, request players on the floor to run certain plays, etc. I would also not access this person a direct or indirect technical for something that would have gone to the head coach. It will just be a bench technical from here on out. Just put this in the report after the game, which you know you're going to have to do.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 01:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I bet you think I didn't know that.

Um, well, yeah. On every post that you make.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 01:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not in the rulebook, hmm.... I bet you think I didn't know that.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Don't get too excited.

Quote:
Actually what I suggested I would do is in the rulebook. Rule 2-3: Officials shall make decisions on any points not specially covered in the rulebook. DA! DA!
Ooh, the Magic Rule. Try pulling this out of your azz during a sanctioned high school game, just once. I dare you.

As I told you, in both states I've reffed, this is a state rule. So, it is specifically covered. I would be willing to bet money that it's the same in every state, with minor alterations (such as whether the replacement adult had to be a certified coach, teacher, or just a kind parent with a pulse).
Quote:
Logically speaking....
Not really.

Quote:
Just put this in the report after the game, which you know you're going to have to do.
If you're going to disregard state rules that don't allow the game to continue when one team doesn't have a coach; why are you going to report the ejections? Nothing in the rules says you're supposed to.