The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Fans on sideline is touched with ball

Help with this. Has not happened yet, but will in the future.
Fan walking up sideline in small gym. Half on the court and half off. A1 dribbling the ball up the court. Ball hits fan that is touching 1/2 on & off the playable court. Is ball OOB? And if yes, then does B get the ball? I don't have my book today, please give ruling number. Thanks
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:42am
In Memoriam

The ball is OOB as per rule 7-1-2(b). It sounds like the the fan interfered with play. If so, give team A the ball back for a throw-in. Use case book play 7.1.2SitB(a) as a guideline. Almost the same situation.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:07am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Don't forget to toss the fan.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The ball is OOB as per rule 7-1-2(b). It sounds like the the fan interfered with play. If so, give team A the ball back for a throw-in. Use case book play 7.1.2SitB(a) as a guideline. Almost the same situation.
This was a hypothetical situation, not a real one. I'm surprised you assumed the fan deliberately interfered with no evidence other than walking half on and off court. I've been in gyms where it's almost impossible to get back to your seat without walking along the sideline.

7-1-2(b) just says the ball is OOB, presumably off of A1 who was dribbling. A1 should watch where he/she is dribbling.

Last edited by Jimgolf; Fri Dec 29, 2006 at 12:53pm.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycat1
Help with this. Has not happened yet, but will in the future.
Fan walking up sideline in small gym. Half on the court and half off. A1 dribbling the ball up the court. Ball hits fan that is touching 1/2 on & off the playable court. Is ball OOB? And if yes, then does B get the ball? I don't have my book today, please give ruling number. Thanks
I've reffed in gyms where there was only room for fans to stand/sit 1 deep against the wall, and could conceivably see this very thing happening. Personally, I'm letting play continue, and if the ball hitting the fan causes interference with the play, I'm giving it back to team A.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
I've reffed in gyms where there was only room for fans to stand/sit 1 deep against the wall, and could conceivably see this very thing happening. Personally, I'm letting play continue, and if the ball hitting the fan causes interference with the play, I'm giving it back to team A.

What? A fan touches the ball and you have a "play on?" Come on...are you really serious?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I once actually had an assistant coach intentionally reach out & interfere with the ball as opponent's player was dribbling it up the sideline in front of the bench - earned himself a flagrant T for that one.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7-1-2 . . . The ball is out of bounds when it touches or is touched by:
a. A player who is out of bounds.
b. Any other person, the floor, or any object on or outside a boundary.

I agree with JR. Whether the fan interference is deliberate or not doesn't matter. The fact that the fan is partially in the court does. The fan shouldn't be there, but sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise. Therefore, instead of a strict enforcement of 7-1-2, which was not intended to cover this situation, use 2-3 to stop play and give Team A a throw-in.

Now if the fan were completely OOB, then I would simply follow 7-1-2.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
What? A fan touches the ball and you have a "play on?" Come on...are you really serious?
In the gym's I'm talking about, I'm totally serious. And the OP didn't say that the fan touched the ball, it said the ball hit the fan.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
This was a hypothetical situation, not a real one. I'm surprised you assumed the fan deliberately interfered with no evidence other than walking half on and off court. I've been in gyms where it's almost impossible to get back to your seat without walking along the sideline.

7-1-2(b) just says the ball is OOB, presumably off of A1 who was dribbling. A1 should watch where he/she is dribbling.
Are you saying that you would give team B the ball?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a freshman boys game once. You just knew the V coach had a talk with his kids about playing on the road, ignoring the a-hole fans, etc. They hardly said a peep all night. The home team, and their fans, were entirely opposite. In the middle of the contest, while V had the ball in the frontcourt, a couple of kids ran out onto the court about five feet from the sideline, right in the middle of the play. I had my back to them and didn't see where they came from, otherwise, I would have whacked the home team for a T. I was 99% sure they were home fans, but noe 100%. I did visit with the coach and game mgt, but they were both basically worthless in terms of helping.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you saying that you would give team B the ball?
I'm going to have to review the case book citation you mentioned. But that was my interpretation of the rule. A1 caused the ball to go out of bounds. Sort of like Jeffrey Meyers. Home run or fan interference?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
In the gym's I'm talking about, I'm totally serious. And the OP didn't say that the fan touched the ball, it said the ball hit the fan.
Does it matter?

Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64
I was working a freshman boys game once. You just knew the V coach had a talk with his kids about playing on the road, ignoring the a-hole fans, etc. They hardly said a peep all night. The home team, and their fans, were entirely opposite. In the middle of the contest, while V had the ball in the frontcourt, a couple of kids ran out onto the court about five feet from the sideline, right in the middle of the play. I had my back to them and didn't see where they came from, otherwise, I would have whacked the home team for a T. I was 99% sure they were home fans, but noe 100%. I did visit with the coach and game mgt, but they were both basically worthless in terms of helping.

Why would you whack the home team in this situation? If I saw them I would have them removed and then continue the game.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Does it matter?

You apparently have the pleasure of only working in gymes with 84-94 ft floors and wide sidelines.