The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 04:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Lah me.....

NCAA rule 9-14-1b(2) is the NCAA D1 Womans closely-guarded rule. I thought that all college officials knew that.

Keep away from rules references, Goober. You're 0 for 367 so far.
Not when you're dribbling the ball moron, that's what I meant. My girls HS are often better than the women's college games because of this one little bity rule, imho, of course.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Two words. Shot clock. Or do your women's games not have that.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 04:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Not when you're dribbling the ball moron, that's what I meant.
Sure.......yup.....that's exactly what you meant,JMO........
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Late to the discussion....

Show me a school that can find 2-3 strong and fast 6'5"-6'6" women who are not already on the basketball team that are willing to show up for practices and provide strong competition for the teams' best players. Does anyone really think that the 5'7" women that would be the 13th, 14th and 15th on the squad would provide any reasonable competion for the starting center.

If you practice agaist someone who is somewhat bigger, faster and stronger than your opponents in real games, it can only cause you to be better.

Does it make sense to slow down the development of the better players to boost the development of the lessor players? Which one has the best benefit in the long run. In most things, the better participants pull the lessor participants up with them when allowed to excel while the opposite rarely holds true.

As a perfect example, look at our public schools. One tactic used around here to make the district look better is to not test the advanced students to determine their actual ability so that the delayed students don't appear so far behind. Does that really help? Or does it just make things look good on paper?
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 05:26pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
That women can improve without male practice partners. I'm not saying male practice partners aren't a good way to improve, just that they're not the only way. And it sounds as though trigger thinks they are the only way.

If they banned automobiles he could have said they were preventing transportation and promoting staying at home. You could have said, "Nonsense, you can still walk or ride a horse." True enough, but it sure would make it tougher to travel the same distance.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 05:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's not like they pick one method and ignore the rest. Practicing against men seems to be, on the testimony of the coaches who use it, a very good way to improve. I'd say it's a way that can't be equally replaced.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN
What exactly does that suppose to mean? I could infer that this is a completely sexist and derrogatory comment made towards men. But if I did that I would bring myself down to your level, where

A) You seem to make everything into a gender issue
B) You like to speak for other people quite a bit without understanding their implications

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, pot.
Okay for starters that comment was directed at the people I was conversing with at that time, namely Dan, and, well, Dan... Dan knew exactly what I meant. He's badgered me for a long time about listening to my inner male and not being so female all the time. It's a joke, trigger. and it had nothing at all to do with you. So nyah, nyah, nyah.

Secondly, there's nothing sexist or derogatory about calling men "male." I'm sorry if that word (male) offends you, but it wasn't meant as an insult. My insult to you was more pointed, and was actually directed to you personally at the very beginning of this thread where I responded to your original post. THe least you can do is grant me the courtesy to be offended when I'm trying to insult you.

Thirdly, I don't make everything into a gender issue. I do see gender issues. That's only reasonable. It's pretty hard for me not to, since my gender is in the minortiy in this field in every respect, and it's pretty obvious that gender is often an issue in many situations. But there are other issues, and I do see those. The particular issue that YOU started this thread with, is a gender issue, isn't it? When I then address it as a gender issue, why does that make me a screeching female that can't see anything but gender? Do you see that as other than a gender issue? Can you explain that?

Fourthly, I don't speak quite a bit for people whose implications I don't understand. I do that occasionally, but most of us on this board do. It's part of the limitation of communication over the internet. Some implications are hard to express. I also admitted that I don't see it the way everyone else seems to. I'm perfectly willing to say that you didn't mean that women can't possibly improve without men. Funny thing, you haven't said that. So how can I apologize?

Finally, if you're saying that I'm the pot calling the kettle black, well, then you're the kettle and you're black, too? Or am I misunderstanding you?

BTW, if what you're really doing is trying to step up into the vacated shoes of The Great Irascible, I'd say you've got a few things to learn. He generally only insults people with whom he has developed a relationship of either friendship, or ongoing enmity. You, however, have slapped me quite firmly without provocation or excuse. That's not irascible, it's rude.

Good day.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
If they banned automobiles he could have said they were preventing transportation and promoting staying at home. You could have said, "Nonsense, you can still walk or ride a horse." True enough, but it sure would make it tougher to travel the same distance.
I'm not arguing with that. You're absolutely right. In fact, you prove my point by saying that "prevent" doesn't mean hinder. It means no transportation at all. NONE. Thanks for understanding me. I can't seem to get through to anyone else.

And I'd also like to point out that I still agree with everyone that forbidding male practice partners seems silly to me. My only arguement was with my inference from Triggers original post, which some people think I mistook. ALthough trigger still hasn't said he didn't mean what I inferred.

Last edited by rainmaker; Wed Jan 03, 2007 at 05:46pm.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
OK, I have been alive on this earth long enough to know not to get between a PO'ed woman and the object of her...err...PO'ness...that said (geeze I know I'm gonna regret this...)

Quote:
Okay for starters that comment was directed at the people I was conversing with at that time, namely Dan, and, well, Dan... Dan knew exactly what I meant.
Yes, it's true. I knew it was directed at me, and I knew it was a sorry excuse for humor... (see? I regret this already. Good thing I didn't say it was some feminine sorry excuse for humor, eh?).
Quote:
He's badgered me for a long time about listening to my inner male and not being so female all the time. It's a joke, trigger. and it had nothing at all to do with you. So nyah, nyah, nyah.
Yes, yes, yes, it's a joke. Sigh....please remember, women say "nyah, nyah, nyah", men say STFU. Repeat after me...STFU...STFU...the rain in Spain falls mainly on the STFU...

OK, that's enough. I'm going to do the manly thing at this point and go take a nap.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
OK, I have been alive on this earth long enough to know not to get between a PO'ed woman and the object of her...err...PO'ness...that said (geeze I know I'm gonna regret this...)

Yes, it's true. I knew it was directed at me, and I knew it was a sorry excuse for humor... (see? I regret this already. Good thing I didn't say it was some feminine sorry excuse for humor, eh?).

Yes, yes, yes, it's a joke. Sigh....please remember, women say "nyah, nyah, nyah", men say STFU. Repeat after me...STFU...STFU...the rain in Spain falls mainly on the STFU...

OK, that's enough. I'm going to do the manly thing at this point and go take a nap.
Dan, Dan, Dan, I'm a woman. Yes, that inner male has his uses, but if I want to say nyah, nyah, nyah, well, it's in character, isn't it? So just STFU!!! (now are you happy?)
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Dan, Dan, Dan, I'm a woman. Yes, that inner male has his uses, but if I want to say nyah, nyah, nyah, well, it's in character, isn't it? So just STFU!!! (now are you happy?)

She's got it!! By George...she's got it!!!

The rain
In Spain
Falls mainly on the
STFU
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 06:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

BTW, if what you're really doing is trying to step up into the vacated shoes of The Great Irascible, I'd say you've got a few things to learn. He generally only insults people with whom he has developed a relationship of either friendship, or ongoing enmity.
Geeze, when did I die and go to EliasLand?

Sigh. Say one nice thing once and everybody assumes that I'm mellowing and turning into a snussy. Or a Chuck.Would it help, Juulie, if I told you to commit an indecency upon your own body? I've always tried to be an equal-opportunity insulter. Race, creed, color or religion mean nothing to me. It's true, it's true....

You're just mad because you just found out that Mr. Old School is really Ms. Old School, and she is a fellow(?) feminine of the female persuasion. Well, deal with it, Missy!

Just for the record, before anyone gets upset, I've always thought that Juulie and the other feminists are...well...cute.

PS- Does "fellow feminist" make any sense to anybody?
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Geeze, when did I die and go to EliasLand?

Sigh. Say one nice thing once and everybody assumes that I'm mellowing and turning into a snussy. Or a Chuck.Would it help, Juulie, if I told you to commit an indecency upon your own body? I've always tried to be an equal-opportunity insulter. Race, creed, color or religion mean nothing to me. It's true, it's true....

You're just mad because you just found out that Mr. Old School is really Ms. Old School, and she is a fellow(?) feminine of the female persuasion. Well, deal with it, Missy!

Just for the record, before anyone gets upset, I've always thought that Juulie and the other feminists are...well...cute.

PS- Does "fellow feminist" make any sense to anybody?
Thank goodness you've come out of hibernation, you cretin.

Now, STFU.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
It's not like they pick one method and ignore the rest. Practicing against men seems to be, on the testimony of the coaches who use it, a very good way to improve. I'd say it's a way that can't be equally replaced.

What about robots? Seven foot tall, fast robots? Would it be necessary to assign them a gender?

And as for you, Rainmaker, you've got my respect for standing up for yourself amongst this surly locker room mentality crowd of males! Myself included!
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Oh crap! Do I need to change my signature, Juulie??? Should I make it PC?