The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Position's of Ref's on Tech Foul Shots

Just wondering the postion of the Ref's on Technical Foul shot's. One will be under the basket where does the other Ref stand. All the players are behind the
half court line. Thanks
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

It's a FT, where are they supposed to be?

The players don't have to be at the division line, just not in the marked lane spaces.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
It's a FT, where are they supposed to be?

The players don't have to be at the division line, just not in the marked lane spaces.
The players must be behind the three-point line, and the free throw line extended.

As for the non-administering official, if all the players are at the half line, where is the best place for him to be to observe them? At the half line. And from recent discussions, I'm betting the majority opinion is that he/she should be table side so that the coaches can inspect the back of his/her Sans-a-belts.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
The players must be behind the three-point line, and the free throw line extended.

As for the non-administering official, if all the players are at the half line, where is the best place for him to be to observe them? At the half line. And from recent discussions, I'm betting the majority opinion is that he/she should be table side so that the coaches can inspect the back of his/her Sans-a-belts.

You have to know the mechanics before you should deviate from them for game management reasons.

By the book, in two person lead administers from tableside and trail is opposite, between the 28' mark and FT line extended. 3 person lead is the same with the C opposite and trail at the 28' mark tableside.

In practice trail in both 2 and 3 is near half court and my preference is tableside if the T was on the coach or results in an indirect on the coach.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

In Texas (2-person), trail now goes tableside at approximately 28' line about 6 feet inbounds, lead administers FT and goes away from table on the baseline (4' out and 3' feet off baseline). If it is my crew, the official that gives the "T" will be administering the FT, as I don't want him/her near the coach. The non-"T"-giving official will become the trail. In this instance, if the coach is still pi$$ed off, then the trail should look to get distanced from the coach, so position about 10-12 feet inbounds in between half-court and the 28' line (watching the all the players of course). There was another thread recently which dealt with philosophies on handling technical fouls and their administration. Do a search . . . it was within the past 2-3 weeks.

As for players, what BITS said, but we try to move them to the division line.

How about this . . . (NFHS) Team A Coach gets "T'd" in the first half. Player B1 lines up to take the FT shots. Team A Coach has all his/her players stand directly behind the shooter just outside of the 3-pt. line. In a) you instruct the players that they MUST stand behind the division line, and Team A Coach tells his/her players to stay put (he doesn't say anything to you); and in b) you instruct the players that they MUST stand behind the division line, and Team A Coach begins to argue with YOU that you are wrong. In BOTH instances the players from Team A do not move to the division line as you instructed. What do you do?
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
In Texas (2-person), trail now goes tableside at approximately 28' line about 6 feet inbounds, lead administers FT and goes away from table on the baseline (4' out and 3' feet off baseline). If it is my crew, the official that gives the "T" will be administering the FT, as I don't want him/her near the coach. The non-"T"-giving official will become the trail. In this instance, if the coach is still pi$$ed off, then the trail should look to get distanced from the coach, so position about 10-12 feet inbounds in between half-court and the 28' line (watching the all the players of course). There was another thread recently which dealt with philosophies on handling technical fouls and their administration. Do a search . . . it was within the past 2-3 weeks.

How about this . . . (NFHS) Team A Coach gets "T'd" in the first half. Player B1 lines up to take the FT shots. Team A Coach has all his/her players stand directly behind the shooter just outside of the 3-pt. line. In a) you instruct the players that they MUST stand behind the division line, and Team A Coach tells his/her players to stay put (he doesn't say anything to you); and in b) you instruct the players that they MUST stand behind the division line, and Team A Coach begins to argue with YOU that you are wrong. In BOTH instances the players from Team A do not move to the division line as you instructed. What do you do?
What I learned from it when it happened to me was that I need to be more careful how I phrase things when I'm trying to get players to do something that isn't backed by rule. But that may not be what you were really asking
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 07:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

How about this.....the rules say that players don't have to move to the division line. If an official instructs players that they must do so, then that official doesn't know the rules. The Team A coach was right iow.

What do you do? Let the players stand where the A coach told them to.

NFHS rule 8-1-5.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 07:28pm.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Bigdogrunnin, in your crew who goes to half court to administor the throw in? The one who just did the FTs or the one that is tableside?
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
3 person lead is the same with the C opposite and trail at the 28' mark tableside.
Agreed, but it seems sort of screwy. Can't understand why the mechanic isn't reversed so that the L and T are already opposite, as that's what will happen on the throw-in anyway.

Quote:
You DON'T do that to begin with. You have no basis, no rules backing, no business doing that. Why not follow the rules and mechanics and avoid the entire situation?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

JR, The trail will move across the court in a 2-person crew to administer the throw in. In 3-person, C will inbound the ball, and T will become the new C. L stays the same.

BBRef, I think you misunderstood my post. I, personally, would do nothing, the coach is right! I would be attentive to any disconcertion, but that is all. I was just posing a question to garner a response from the board.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BBRef, I think you misunderstood my post. I, personally, would do nothing, the coach is right! I would be attentive to any disconcertion, but that is all. I was just posing a question to garner a response from the board.

Isn't this your statement?

Quote:

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:

In a) you instruct the players that they MUST stand behind the division line, and Team A Coach tells his/her players to stay put (he doesn't say anything to you); and in b) you instruct the players that they MUST stand behind the division line, and Team A Coach begins to argue with YOU that you are wrong. In BOTH instances the players from Team A do not move to the division line as you instructed. What do you do?
Dog, that's what I responded to.

What basis rules-wise do you have for making players move to the division line?

And if any official instructs players that they MUST stand behind the division line, then that official does NOT know the applicable rules and was completely wrong for doing so. That was my point.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Apparently my wording was in error, while what I would do was not. I apologize. I would ask them to move to the division line, if they don't, nothing can be done. That is what I was getting at.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Apparently my wording was in error, while what I would do was not. I apologize. I would ask them to move to the division line, if they don't, nothing can be done. That is what I was getting at.
Then why ask them??
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 01:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I would ask them to move to the division line, if they don't, nothing can be done. That is what I was getting at.
I'm still confused. Why would you ask them to move if they had the legal right to stand where they were standing?