Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Question

quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt on 12-22-1999 11:31 AM
Exactly. Once the shot is in flight you should count it if it goes. Then you have a 1-and-1.

P.S. Your partner should "find the ball" next time.

[This message has been edited by Bradley Batt (edited December 22, 1999).]

Please explain "find the ball"

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Brad,
I asked him about that and he said the he wouldn't have called it but it was a pretty good BOX OUT (Actually a MOVE OUT). If you know what I mean.
Speaking of Boxing Out. Has enyone else noticed that Boxing Out has become more Pushing out with ones butt and when we call the foul we get the complaint "I was just boxing out."

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Same Partner, different game.
He had 3 of these calls the other night. The last one was the players 5th foul. When he went to tell the coach, she looked at him and said "Do you know what you just cost me?" He just looked at her and said, "I don't know!"
She says, "60 Pushups" I guess as she was teaching her players the finer points of "Boxing out" she said if you get called for a foul doing it this way I will give you 20 pushups. I will see her tonight. I think I'm gonna ask her if she done her pushups yet.

------------------
Ron

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Yes, and you get these weird looks for calling the foul.
I almost had a kid go ten feet on a"box out" last week, the guy who commited the foul thought he did not do anything wrong when I called the foul on hom.
If you do not call it, it gets very rough, especially in the 4A and 5A games.
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by Ron Pilo on 12-22-1999 12:21 PM
Same Partner, different game.
He had 3 of these calls the other night. The last one was the players 5th foul. When he went to tell the coach, she looked at him and said "Do you know what you just cost me?" He just looked at her and said, "I don't know!"
She says, "60 Pushups" I guess as she was teaching her players the finer points of "Boxing out" she said if you get called for a foul doing it this way I will give you 20 pushups. I will see her tonight. I think I'm gonna ask her if she done her pushups yet.

Becareful, her arms might be stronger, and she could squeeze your hand during the coaches introduction

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Game last night A1 goes up for 3. While ball is in flight my partner (L) calls off ball foul on B1 under the basket. Ball goes in for three. We are in the bonus (8). How many shots are we taking?

------------------
Ron

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Count the 3 point basket, since the ball was in flight. And you are going to the line for a 1-1.
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 12:31pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Exactly. Once the shot is in flight you should count it if it goes. Then you have a 1-and-1.

P.S. Your partner should "find the ball" next time.

[This message has been edited by Bradley Batt (edited December 22, 1999).]
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 02:15pm

quote:
Please explain "find the ball"

When you make a call you should be aware of where the ball is. For instance, you don't want to call a 3 seconds violation if a player just launched a three-pointer.

By the same token, if the offensive team just launched up a shot you might not necessarily want to call that box-out foul. You may want to wait to see if the shot goes or not. Or, if the foul is bad enough, you might want to call it anyway.

Or, conversely, the other team might have just stolen the ball. You, having no idea where the ball is or what is happening, call a foul for a kid boxing-out that had absolutely no impact on the play (other than possibly to stop a fast break by the other team).

The point is simply this: Be aware of what is going on in the game - that includes where the ball is, where your partner is, what players are trying to accomplish, etc.

I liken this to the guy that calls the bump foul as a player is 1-on-1 going by a defensive player and headed to the hoop. The player makes the layup and the referee comes out, "No shot!" and gives the ball back to them out-of-bounds. Meanwhile, I cringe.

Later,
Brad
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo on 12-22-1999 12:16 PM
Has enyone else noticed that Boxing Out has become more Pushing out with ones butt and when we call the foul we get the complaint "I was just boxing out."

Ron -

As coaches, we definitely demand that players initiate some contact on a boxout. How do you distinguish between the legal boxout and a foul?
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 04:25pm

quote:
Originally posted by JoeT on 12-22-1999 02:02 PM
As coaches, we definitely demand that players initiate some contact on a boxout. How do you distinguish between the legal boxout and a foul?

Joe,

I think that the distinction comes in when the player boxing out starts to displace the other player. There is nothing wrong with "contact" - meaning that the players are touching each other as they are trying to get into a favorable position to rebound. But once pushing starts it has to be called. This could either be "backing out" when a player just keeps backing up into the player behind him, or it could be the common shove in the back (a la Dennis Rodman) in order for the player furthest away from the goal to secure the rebound.

Too many players today "box out" by reaching both arms back, grabbing the player, and backing up - that is a foul! The severity of the contact is going to determine whether there is a call or not. Also, where the ball rebounds to is going to have an impact on the play - if the rebound goes all the way out to the free throw line and you have a guy pushing a bit right under the basket it is probably a no call (but maybe a warning). If the rebound comes right to two opposing players and one pushes the other, which results in him getting the rebound you should have a foul.

Later,
Brad
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

JoeT

I agree with Brad. SOME contact is okay, However when we start BACKING Players out that's a foul.

------------------
Ron

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo on 12-22-1999 03:48 PM
JoeT

I agree with Brad. SOME contact is okay, However when we start BACKING Players out that's a foul.

Ron I agree with Brad too.
The player being "blocked out"(boxed out)is entitled to his spot on the floor and if he is being moved by the other player then we will have a call. Players here (Australia) are agog when you call it and I put it down to bad coaching or no coaching in defensive techniques. If coaches spent a bit more time on teaching good defence instead of saying bad luck when a foul is called for really ugly defence then our job may get a bit easier.

Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Though I do agree that there are times, that you do need to see the ball for some calls, like 3 seconds in the key and player blowing past the other on the way to the basket. BUT there are somethings that need to be called no matter what the situation. The other night in a JUCO game, I had A's big man level B's big man with an elbow under the basket on a shot attempt. I as the lead called the foul, counted the 3 point shot, and then gave the ball back to A unfer the basket. After the game both coaches came up to me and said that the call was a great one, and the right one to make. If I don't make that call who knows what is going to happen later on in the game?
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt on 12-22-1999 01:15 PM
When you make a call you should be aware of where the ball is. For instance, you don't want to call a 3 seconds violation if a player just launched a three-pointer.

By the same token, if the offensive team just launched up a shot you might not necessarily want to call that box-out foul. You may want to wait to see if the shot goes or not. Or, if the foul is bad enough, you might want to call it anyway.

Or, conversely, the other team might have just stolen the ball. You, having no idea where the ball is or what is happening, call a foul for a kid boxing-out that had absolutely no impact on the play (other than possibly to stop a fast break by the other team).

The point is simply this: Be aware of what is going on in the game - that includes where the ball is, where your partner is, what players are trying to accomplish, etc.

I liken this to the guy that calls the bump foul as a player is 1-on-1 going by a defensive player and headed to the hoop. The player makes the layup and the referee comes out, "No shot!" and gives the ball back to them out-of-bounds. Meanwhile, I cringe.

Later,
Brad

"No shot" or "on the floor", are calls made by officials that do not know the application of continious motion .

By the way, I agree you should know where the ball is all the time, I just wanted your interpretation of finding the ball.