The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 09:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Sorry for the misunderstanding buck. So, yes we all agree it shouldn't have been blown dead. Therefore, an inadvertant whistle means POI (as Nevada said) and since there's no control we've got an AP.
After a steal, there is team control. Give the ball back to the stealing (?) team after the IW; no AP.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 09:49am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
And what happens when the same thing happens in a game next week and the official doesn;t do the same thing as this bozo did?

Are you trying to tell us that there's no team control in this play?
Nope. My fault...
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Rich: Point well taken and understood, and while I tend to hug the sideline, I'm not married or conjoined to it. You can be just as 'in the way' anywhere on the floor.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Had a game early in the year. Var. Girls. I am in trail (2-person), and a quick steal by the defense. I am about 6-8 feet onto the floor. The ball goes toward the sideline nearest to me. I am thinking it will go out, so I work toward the sideline to get a clear view of the OOB. WELL . . . yep, defense manages to get the ball and there I am IN THE WAY of a clear path and an easy layup. So I buck up and turn tail and haul a$$ to get down the floor. Problem . . . the defensive player (now on offense) is a STATE qualifying sprinter, and . . . let's just say I am NOT! I hustled down, but she had to pull up and wait for her teammates, because I was in the way. The entire gym got a great laugh, and the head coach gave me some good humored ribbing, but hey, it is what it is. An official is PART OF THE FLOOR! You don't want to be in the way, but sometimes it happens. Did blowing the whistle get that official out of a bad spot, yes. Did he properly apply the rules, no. Don't blow the whistle and play on.