The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Double Checking 3 Answers?

A sign of "old age".....they keep changing the rules on us!

I know these answers may be obvious to most of you....but, just wanted to double check with all the experts to see if I'm still with it.

NFHS BB - Part II

25. "Continuous motion only applies if the defensive foul is committed against the shooter."
TRUE - (Can an off-ball foul against another team member of the shooter have any significance with "continuous motion" on the shooter? ie: counting the basket on a foul away from the shooter?)

40. "If both parts of a double personal foul are intentional, each fouled player is awarded two free throws."
FALSE - No free throws....throw-in POI.

76. "A team member may wear jewelry provided he/she does not become a player."
FALSE - My partner & I disagree over this statement. He feels he can't penalize if the person with jewelry doesn't become a player. I maintain that the person wearing jewelry is a "team member" and as such...3.5.1 refers to "team members" shall not wear equipment/apparel that is not appropriate, and 3.5.7 refers to jewelry not permitted....I'm assuming....among "team members". A'm I reading too much into this? Or, heaven forbid, my partner is correct when he says the statement is True because the "team member" hasn't violated anything until they become a player.

Thanks in advance of your responses!
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref
76. "A team member may wear jewelry provided he/she does not become a player."
FALSE - My partner & I disagree over this statement. He feels he can't penalize if the person with jewelry doesn't become a player. I maintain that the person wearing jewelry is a "team member" and as such...3.5.1 refers to "team members" shall not wear equipment/apparel that is not appropriate, and 3.5.7 refers to jewelry not permitted....I'm assuming....among "team members". A'm I reading too much into this? Or, heaven forbid, my partner is correct when he says the statement is True because the "team member" hasn't violated anything until they become a player.

Thanks in advance of your responses!
You can't penalize anyway, There is no penalty. Sure, players can wear jewelry on the bench. They can't wear it during warm-ups, though, if they're out on the floor, and they certainly can't come into the game with it. But there's no penalty, remember that.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A sign of "old age".....they keep changing the rules on us!

I know these answers may be obvious to most of you....but, just wanted to double check with all the experts to see if I'm still with it.

NFHS BB - Part II

25. "Continuous motion only applies if the defensive foul is committed against the shooter."
TRUE - (Can an off-ball foul against another team member of the shooter have any significance with "continuous motion" on the shooter? ie: counting the basket on a foul away from the shooter?)
FALSE -- it applies on any foul by the defense.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
FALSE -- it applies on any foul by the defense.
So if A1 has started to go up for a jump shot, and B1 fouls A2 under the basket before A1 shot is released, if it goes in you count it and give A2 free throws if they are in the bonus or if not the ball out of bounds? I just thought the ball had to be released first before you could count it.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie
So if A1 has started to go up for a jump shot, and B1 fouls A2 under the basket before A1 shot is released, if it goes in you count it and give A2 free throws if they are in the bonus or if not the ball out of bounds? I just thought the ball had to be released first before you could count it.
Your thought is correct.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:38pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Quote:
Your thought is correct.
Whoa, there! Jritchie's thought was NOT correct. If A2 is fouled while A1 is in the act of shooting, the basket will count even if the ball is still in A1's hand at the time of the foul. It does NOT have to be released.

Continuous motion applies to any defensive foul (as long as it's not part of a double foul), just as Bob J said.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if A1 has started to go up for a jump shot, and B1 fouls A2 under the basket before A1 shot is released, if it goes in you count it and give A2 free throws if they are in the bonus or if not the ball out of bounds?
Yes.

Quote:
I just thought the ball had to be released first before you could count it.
No. See 6-"the ball becomes dead when" and read one of the notes / exceptions (sorry, I don't have the books handy, so I can't be more specific)
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
You can't penalize anyway, There is no penalty. Sure, players can wear jewelry on the bench. They can't wear it during warm-ups, though, if they're out on the floor, and they certainly can't come into the game with it. But there's no penalty, remember that.
So....is the statement " A team member may wear jewelry provided he/she does not become a player." .... True or False?
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 01:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So....is the statement " A team member may wear jewelry provided he/she does not become a player." .... True or False?
False.

From a POE in the 2002-03 rule book --"No team member may wear jewelry during the pre-game warm-up period or during the contest". Team members are defined as bench personnel who are in uniform and eligible to be becoime a "player", under rule 4-34-4.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Yes.

No. See 6-"the ball becomes dead when" and read one of the notes / exceptions (sorry, I don't have the books handy, so I can't be more specific)
6.7.7 Exception c.

If you can log into NFHS.org, the rules and case books are available online.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, learn something everyday! That is why this board is great.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
40. "If both parts of a double personal foul are intentional, each fouled player is awarded two free throws."
FALSE - No free throws....throw-in POI.
Everyone agree that 40 is False?
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 05:19pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Everyone agree that 40 is False?
I'm not everyone, but I agree that it is false, by virtue of Rule 10 Summary 1-c.