The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Hello All,

Here is a situation that my team is currently involved in...We were scheduled to play a doubleheader on Monday. We got the first game in with no problem. The second game was going along just fine until the game was stopped due to rain. It was the top of the 6th, our first batter had not yet batted in the inning, and the score was tied 5-5. Since the rain showed no signs of letting up, and the field had no lights anyway, it was decided that the game would continue at 4 pm on Friday. No problem.

Friday is the mid-term reporting day at our school. One of our top players, who had been ineligible due to grades, is expected to become eligible at the end of the school day, (3 pm) on Friday.

Here is my question...Assuming she does become eligible, and our AD gives her the green-light to play, is there anything in the rule book that would prohibit her from playing Friday afternoon? I think she would be ok, but I'm far from an expert. I would appreciate any input.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterV
Hello All,

Here is a situation that my team is currently involved in...We were scheduled to play a doubleheader on Monday. We got the first game in with no problem. The second game was going along just fine until the game was stopped due to rain. It was the top of the 6th, our first batter had not yet batted in the inning, and the score was tied 5-5. Since the rain showed no signs of letting up, and the field had no lights anyway, it was decided that the game would continue at 4 pm on Friday. No problem.

Friday is the mid-term reporting day at our school. One of our top players, who had been ineligible due to grades, is expected to become eligible at the end of the school day, (3 pm) on Friday.

Here is my question...Assuming she does become eligible, and our AD gives her the green-light to play, is there anything in the rule book that would prohibit her from playing Friday afternoon? I think she would be ok, but I'm far from an expert. I would appreciate any input.
Where are you and what rules are you using?

Seems to me whether she played or not would be based on league/conference/district rules or code. The umpire has no standing on that point.

However, if the player became eligible, she could enter the continuation of the game as a substitute.

Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Another question to add: if she entered the game on Friday as a sub, is she required to have already been in the official scorebook?
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

We are in KS using FED rules.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Subs not on the original line up can be added. Its the same as them arriving late.

Your ref is 3.3.1. Case book is also very specific on this.

Unless your district/school/etc has a different rule, the Fed rules allow that player to play

[Edited by wadeintothem on Apr 13th, 2005 at 12:25 PM]
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Your State Association (KSHSAA)and/or High School controls player eligibility. Check with them.

WMB
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I figured the OP wasnt asking about eligibility, since the poster SAID they would be checking on that and "assuming otherwise eligible" - and was asking about FED Softball Rules on an Umpire Forum to see if there were Softball rules Re Subs that would prevent the player from playing. I think its pretty clear from the post that is what the poster is asking about... but could be wrong.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
I figured the OP wasnt asking about eligibility, since the poster SAID they would be checking on that and "assuming otherwise eligible" - and was asking about FED Softball Rules on an Umpire Forum to see if there were Softball rules Re Subs that would prevent the player from playing. I think its pretty clear from the post that is what the poster is asking about... but could be wrong.
Really? Did I miss "HS" or "High School" or "NFHS" or "FED" somewhere in the original thread?

Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Really? Did I miss "HS" or "High School" or "NFHS" or "FED" somewhere in the original thread?

Somewhere in the original thread?
I believe you have.

Look really really hard.. you'll see the words "We are in KS using FED rules."
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe you have.

No need to get snippy. The clarification was in the 4th post, not the original. Although assuming NFHS would be a reasonable assumption since the original post talked about academic eligibility.

Nonetheless, if your state association says the player is eligible, late arriving players may be entered on the roster as a sub (3-3-1, as already cited).

Any other restrictions on the lineup for a suspended game being resumed are by state association only. There are no NFHS rules regarding this.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
I believe you have.

No need to get snippy. The clarification was in the 4th post, not the original. Although assuming NFHS would be a reasonable assumption since the original post talked about academic eligibility.

Nonetheless, if your state association says the player is eligible, late arriving players may be entered on the roster as a sub (3-3-1, as already cited).

Any other restrictions on the lineup for a suspended game being resumed are by state association only. There are no NFHS rules regarding this.
Prolly right.. I felt like this was routine thrashing of coaches etc who come here to ask questions of umps (when it seemed like a fair question). so I was a little snippy and it was probably unwarrented.. my bad!