The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ruling.....

Team A is down by 2 with 4.5 seconds to go. Clock is stopped due to TO. A inbounds ball at about 3/4 court. A1 takes shot and sinks it for a three.

Clock never started! Officials redid the play and Team A ends up missing this time and lose the game.

I don't believe this is correct. Should they have counted the basket and then determined if anytime was on the clock or give Team B the ball with 4.5 left after counting the bucket?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Score the hoop. Team B has the ball with an endline throw-in.

As for time on the clock: the offical must have definite knowledge to take any time off the clock. A count (10-second backcourt; 5-second closely guarded) qualifies as "definite knowledge." Absent that, there still are 4.5 seconds on the clock.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 12:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow; you have two options by rule. Continue after the three with 4.5 seconds, or take off as much time as you know elapsed and continuing after the three. You cannot take away the three unless you know 5 seconds elapsed; in which case, game over. You can’t re-do this.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

I guess the question should be when did the officials notice the clock not starting? Did they notice this before the shot and were adamant about the clock not starting but the kid still took the shot? Or was the action completed then the officials decided to go back and start all over? There are a lot of "what ifs" but I think when the officials noticed the clock situation might play a big part in this. Also a lot of this would depend on the judgment of the officials.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Howdy all..... (first post on this forum)

It sounds as though the officials really blew this one... Unless the trail official was sure that over 4.5 seconds had expired (why would he have a count on, since he knew there were less than 5 seconds remaining), you have to count the basket. I think you could be "sure" that catching, shooting and the time it takes for the ball to go through the basket would consume 2 seconds minimum. I would put 2.5 seconds on the clock and allow the other team to inbounds as normal....the problem of course, is that they have the advantage of inbounding with the clock stopped....

maybe this is a good time to mention that in these situations, it is good to "remind" the timekeeper before you administer the ball at the sideline, "Make sure you start the clock at my signal, (chopping in)", which would hopefully alleviate this disaster.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 01:35pm

....why would he have a count on,

After reminding the clock keeper about starting the clock it's a good idea to always start your own count in these situations for no other reason than to have actual knowledge just in case this or something similar happens.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 01:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodical
Howdy all..... (first post on this forum)

I would put 2.5 seconds on the clock and allow the other team to inbounds as normal.
Welcome to the forum.

For your second post, please cite a rule that will allow you to put 2.5 seconds back on the clock.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Unless you were keeping a count in your head; count the three and give B the ball with 4.5 seconds.
The only option I didn't consider is if the officials blew the whistle before the shot was released.