The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Your statement above verbatim was "Personally If I ruled this AS A LEGITIMATE ATTEMPT TO MAKE A BLOCK and I am 100% sure that the hit of the backboard caused the board to shake hard enough that it caused the missed shot, I'm whacking the kid...."

NFHS Rule 10-3-5(b) states "A player shall not illegally contact the backboard/ring by INTENTIONALLY slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket"

Casebook play 10.3.5(b)
COMMENT: The purpose of the rule is to penalize INTENTIONAL contact with the backboard while a shot or try is involved..."."

NCAA rules are exactly the same. I believe that pro rules are too, but I may be wrong.

Again, that's a very basic rule that you're misinterpreting. As I said before, if you call that in one of your college games, it might just be your last one if an evaluator is watching.
So we are getting technical then. All I would have to do is say that I thought the kid was not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball, whether he was or he wasn't, and then I could T him up. Ok I will do that then, since that is all I would have to tell my boss or anyone else and then they could not argue it. I guess I should have said it this way at the first instead of trying to argue the point.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 07:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
So we are getting technical then. All I would have to do is say that I thought the kid was not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball, whether he was or he wasn't, and then I could T him up. Ok I will do that then, since that is all I would have to tell my boss or anyone else and then they could not argue it. I guess I should have said it this way at the first instead of trying to argue the point.
If you call knowing a rule and how it should be called "getting technical", you probably have more than a a few problems as an official imo.

You're missing the point. You have absolutely NO rules justification to call a technical foul on a player who rattles the backboard while trying to make a legitimate block. It's legal for that player to hit it as hard as he can if he's going for the ball. All you are doing is making up your own rule again because you don't like the rule that we have(that is, if you actually knew the correct rule in the first place....which I kinda doubt).

If you have an evaluator at one of your college games, you will never get away with trying to bullsh!t him on that one. Never! You'll never get away with that in higher level varsity games either, where the kids play above the rim.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Glad I'll (likely) never have to work a game with you.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So it is within the spirit and intent of the rule to let this kid legitimately attempt a block, but in doing so shaking the backboard so violently that it causes the kid to miss the attempt that would have otherwise went in?
Tell me know you know that! Are you psychic or something?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:06am
We don't rent pigs

Famous quote:

(paraphrased) An official must be careful not to, in his own mind, become bigger than the game that he is there to officiate.

.....or something like that. For some reason this came to mind.

Or, in laymen terms: I'm running this game. If the rules are kinda parallel to the way I run it, good. If not, they (everyone else, coaches, players, even partners) will adapt.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

The rules and supporting case information are crystal clear. Slapping of the backboard by a defender as part of a legitimate block attempt is not a T.

Running around making up interpretations contrary to the rules, based on what you think might or might not happen, is wrong, and IMHO, unprofessional. How can we expect the participants to conform to the rules if we ourselves choose selectively not to? Some example that sets......
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Running around making up interpretations contrary to the rules, based on what you think might or might not happen, is wrong, and IMHO, unprofessional. How can we expect the participants to conform to the rules if we ourselves choose selectively not to? Some example that sets......
Kinda reminds me of a POE I heard not so long ago. Hmmmm, where could that have been......
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So it is within the spirit and intent of the rule to let this kid legitimately attempt a block, but in doing so shaking the backboard so violently that it causes the kid to miss the attempt that would have otherwise went in?
Yes. It's called basket interference for a reason.