The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Thats not a foul?!?

Please correct me if I am wrong....I'd like a FIBA, NBA, NCAA, NFHS, Bob's backyard league, International, Olympic, grade school, CYO and any other level or organization world wide interp for this play...

A1 passes the ball to A2 who fumbles the ball.

So we have a loose ball about 2 or 3 feet from A2

She moves to pick it up...B2 dives for the ball from behind A2 taking the legs of A2 out from under her.

A2 falls to the floor....B2 secures the ball.

FOUL......right? RIGHT??

Mr. howler monkey informs me that I should let them play and that since the ball was loose, thats not a foul. I was also reminded that this was girls varsity basketball and not..."sissy ball" from one of his jr. howler types.

I thanked him for reminding me that we weren't playing "sissy ball" then promptly puked on his shoes.....

Shouldn't there be some sort of test that these guys have to pass to even be allowed to sit on the bench, let alone coach?

SISSY BALL FEVER.....CATCH IT!

Last edited by Larks; Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 11:26am.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
Please correct me if I am wrong....I'd like a FIBA, NBA, NCAA, NFHS, Bob's backyard league, International, Olympic, grade school, CYO and any other level or organization world wide interp for this play...

She moves to pick it up...B2 dives for the ball from behind A2 taking the legs of A2 out from under her.

FOUL......right? RIGHT??
Okay, let's see. Prone on the floor with arms outstretched horizontally to get the ball is not LGP, so she's not maintaining position, contact was initiated by B2, A2 falls, and B2 gets an illegal advantage.

Yup, that sounds like a foul

Quote:
Mr. howler monkey informs me that I should let them play and that since the ball was loose, thats not a foul. I was also reminded that this was girls varsity basketball and not..."sissy ball" from one of his jr. howler types.

I thanked him for reminding me that we weren't playing "sissy ball" then promptly puked on his shoes.....
...and reminded him that it's also not roller derby?

Quote:
Shouldn't there be some sort of test these guys have to pass to even be allowed to sit on the bench, let alone coach?
What they really need is a good swift T in the books.

Quote:
I've caught it!!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:22am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Many poorly coached teams demand rough play to cover their lack of skill.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

FOUL......right? RIGHT??

Shouldn't there be some sort of test these guys have to pass to even be allowed to sit on the bench, let alone coach?

I feel a tad of sarcasm in your words

It's difficult to judge this kind of action without seeing it. In FIBA, and I believe under every rule set, two players are allowed to chase after a loose ball and the ensuing contact must be considered incidental if both had the opportunity to get the ball without causing illegal contact.

In this situation I would look closely at A2's movements, because it is frequent that the fumbler shifts in order to protect the ball before diving for it.

If B2 went for the ball just invading A2's cylinder, I would agree with you. If A2's movement had hindered B2's dive, it might have been a team control foul or a no call.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

FOUL......right? RIGHT??
Sure hope it is, 'cause I called it last night.

Quote:
No technical here?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:43am

And we're all sure the coach would feel the same way if it was his kid's legs that got taken out. They don't want us to get it right. They want us to get it for them.

Last edited by sj; Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 12:03pm.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:44am
Esteemed Participant

Wow, Larks...were you out West last night? Had pretty much the same conversation wih a coach last night...her player dives into the back of the legs of offensive player and tackles her. I call foul - she argues...her next possession, her 5'1" point guard has shot blocked by 6'2" post and she screams "You'll call that ticky-tack tackle down here, but won't call that???" So she got a call- not the one she wanted, but she got a call...btw: score at the time was 69-25, she was losing.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:48am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
My name's not Bob, but in my former Back Yard League (1989-1992), I can safely say this would be a foul.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Wow, Larks...were you out West last night? Had pretty much the same conversation wih a coach last night...her player dives into the back of the legs of offensive player and tackles her. I call foul - she argues...her next possession, her 5'1" point guard has shot blocked by 6'2" post and she screams "You'll call that ticky-tack tackle down here, but won't call that???" So she got a call- not the one she wanted, but she got a call...btw: score at the time was 69-25, she was losing.
Someday, if I really work hard, and keep learning, can I be good enough to get thse terrific games?!?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Someday, if I really work hard, and keep learning, can I be good enough to get thse terrific games?!?
Nope...I jealously guard all those games just for my ownself!!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:12pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Many poorly coached teams demand rough play to cover their lack of skill.
Very true Mick, plus, these are some of the schools who are opposed to three-whistle games.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
In FIBA, and I believe under every rule set, two players are allowed to chase after a loose ball and the ensuing contact must be considered incidental if both had the opportunity to get the ball without causing illegal contact.
Uh, yeah. If it's not incidental, it must be illegal. Your comment basically says two players can go after the ball unless one of them fouls, with which I agree.

The ball being loose does not suddenly turn all contact into incidental contact.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 01:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Does he coach rugby on the side?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
The ball being loose does not suddenly turn all contact into incidental contact.
Great wording!!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
No technical here?
nah - it was honestly said more directed on the floor vs. screamed at me. Besides, he stayed busy washing his shoes the rest of the game.